Author Topic: Former Sweet Tooth Addict Feedback Requested  (Read 2518 times)

Vajrayana

• We Are Here To Thrive!
    • View Profile
Former Sweet Tooth Addict Feedback Requested
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:39:23 AM »
Greetings.

I've made my base list of what I can switch to and I'd like to know what do you recommend regarding coffee.

I don't drink it a lot but when lifelong when I do, I use carnation milk and 3 teaspoons of sugar.  So knowing that we all have different ideas about taste here's my queries:

1. Accepting that I will be making some "taste adjustment, I don't like Stevia's aftertaste and Truvia didn't taste great either so does Xylitol have an aftertaste? I don't desire to invest $9-10 plus shipping without some basic feedback.

2. Is there a natural sugar replacement that seems to satisfy a large number of Fat To Skinny folks?

3. Generally speaking would "heavy whipping creme" be a good substitute to try for carnation milk?

4. Didn't find mayo or salad dressing in the Carbs Counter book.  Does anyone know what the grams to sugar count is?

Thanks for your feedback.  Vajrayana

The Frequency Modulator™

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Former Sweet Tooth Addict Feedback Requested
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute.  Buy it for baking where it is wonderful and see if you like it in coffee.  You may have luck sweetening you coffee with sugar-free syrups.  Heavy whipping cream is great as a replacement for evaporated milk.  "Real" mayonnaise is very low carb.  Salad dressings have a wide range of carb counts.  In general, look at the labels and be careful of the "light" dressings.  They tend to be higher in carbs because the fat in the original recipe is replaced with sugar to make them lower in calories but higher in carbs.  In my experience, creamy dressings like ranch and bleu cheese are pretty low in carbs.

Good luck.  The planning effort will be well worth it.

You're a night owl, aren't you?

joagain

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »
Hi Vajrayana  Welcome to FTS !!
As far as the creamer yes you want to use Heavy cream count .5 carbs for 1 Tablespoon . As far as sweetner I use the liquid sweet & low or other brand of liquid sweetner (it is  0 carb )that you can get form Publix or your grocery store . The xylitol is great for cooking /baking .
I did not like it for my coffee I would have had to use a lot and it will cause your stomache to hurt .

Mayo is generally 0 carb you just have to look at the labels Kraft ,Hellmans & walmart brand is 0 carb . Make sure you get the full fat no light versions .
Dressings I am giving you my thoughts all the waldne farms 0 carb dressings or very expensive and very bad tasting I have tried the blue cheese & ranch and did not like either one !! They are ok to use for cooking with other things maybe I will not purchase anymore  there BBQ sauce is ok just ok .
The Hidden Valley ranch bacon is only 1 carb per serving that is what I use .
Hope this was helpful to you !!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
When you get the book from doug it will answer alot of your questions.Once you detox for two weeks your taste will change.So don't stock up on anything until then.Health foods stores carry alot of the fat to skinny products as well as grocery stores.As far as shipping online Netrition has flat rate shipping of $4.99 for all you want to buy.You do not have to order online for this lifestyle.Until your taste change and you find the sweetener you like splenda is acceptable just remember each little yellow packet is one carb.Over a days time that will add up.I like stevia for my coffee and xylitol for backing but the forum members all have their different sweeteners they like.In two weeks the things you love now you will totally lose your taste for.If I can help you please ask.Drink lots of water ;)

Marty

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
I thought xylitol had a funny taste when I first tried it, but it's ok now. For coffee sweetening, try Torani sugar free syrups - you can get them in great flavors - like hazelnut, vanilla, etc. from Wal-Mart and they aren't too expensive. You can use them for other things if you don't like them in your coffee.

If you find cream too heavy for your coffee, you can start cutting it with half and half until you like half and half. It won't take long.

One thing I found when I first started FTS - if you go at it half-hearted, your results will be half-satisfactory. Especially in the first two weeks when you need to let your body adjust to the new foods.

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
Hi..

I use the Walmart brand Great Value Regular Whipping cream that doesnt have any carbs.. I use Xylitol and it doesnt have any aftertaste and it taste great..

As far as mayo goes, I use Hellsman mayo that doesnt have carbs...

I also use soap.com where you can plug in promotional codes and get great discounts and free shipping some times... their prices are good too...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:50:27 PM by Alex Cruz »
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
I use Duke's Mayo: 0 sugar/carbs
I use Walden Farms or dressings: 0 carbs/fat/calories (my favorite is the raspberry vinaigrette and sesame ginger)  I find these at Kroger
I use Torani or DaVinci sugar free syrups:   count each tbls at 1 carb as they use Splenda.
I use Heavy Whipping Cream: 0 carbs

Everyone has different tastes but as Umpa said, once you've detoxed the sugar out of your system everything will taste different. As with anything, the more you use it the more you'll get use to the taste.  I only use Xylitol for baking.  I use Truvia for cold drinks.
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!