Recipe Exchange > Dinner Recipes

LOW CARB Stuffed Chicken Valdostana kicked up a bunch of notches

(1/2) > >>

Doug Varrieur:
Hi gang, Chicken Valdostana is a very famous dish in Italy. The common way it's cooked is akin to a chicken parm with a wine sauce using a fried cutlet topped with ham, cheese and then the gravy. I chose to use a thick breast and stuff it like a cordon blue. The recipe below kicks this recipe up to a delicacy. I hope you enjoy it!

LOW CARB Stuffed Chicken Valdostana

Ingredients

2 thick chicken breasts
1/4 pound prosciutto sliced thin
2 Fontina cheese chunks the size of your thumb
1/4 cup artichoke hearts
1/2 pound of mixed mushrooms rough chopped (I used shirataki and portabello)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry vermouth or other dry white wine
1/4 cup mixed Italian olives
salt and pepper
fresh chopped parsley
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions

1- Using a very sharp knife cut a pocket inside your chicken breast being careful not to cut through.
2- Lay out your ham overlapping the edges so you can roll up the cheese inside like a cabbage roll sealing all the edges.
3- Stuff your ham roll into the pocket cut in the chicken breast and close with a skewer.
4- Salt and pepper both sides of the breast.
5- Heat the oil to medium and brown both sides of the breasts, remove and set aside.
6- Saute the mushrooms and artichoke hearts in the the oil until wilted.
7- Pour in the chicken broth and wine, bring to a boil.
8- Remove the veggies from the pan and cook down the broth mixture till thickened, taste then season with salt and pepper.
9- Place veggies in the bottom of a casserole then top with the chicken.
10- Pour the gravy over the top and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
11- Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes.
12- Slice the breasts and serve with mushrooms and olives scattered about on the plate.

o0OSusieO0o:
Looks so great, doubt I could afford to make it though.

umpa:
just replace the ham and cheese with something you like.Swiss and deli ham would work  ;)

o0OSusieO0o:
I'll use what I can get least expensive. When I buy specialty sweeteners and almond flour, and olive oil and cream and half and half we end up with $60 left for food for 2 weeks.The food bank is not good anymore. Last time they only gave us a bunch high carb processed food, and 1 stalk celery and 8 bags roasted almonds. I'm used to getting a lot of vegetables from them. Meat is getting more expensive. I take it home and weigh and measure for meals and freeze. I buy vegetables and meat on sale from Mexican market. I could turn this recipe into Mexican or Asian, lol.

umpa:
You can make your own flour from the almonds :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version