Author Topic: NOW almond flour  (Read 3292 times)

LauriC50

• View Profile
NOW almond flour
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:27 PM »
First of all, I know that you say to not substitute any ingredients in your recipes....but I bought lots of items so that I could start making some of your wonderful goodies....then made the chocolate cake using the only almond flour that was available to me. Apparently there is a really big difference between the NOW unblanched almond flour and the Bob's Red Mill finely ground blanched almond flour. Difference between what looks wonderful and what is pretty much inedible.

I will not attempt anything else til I've got the right almond flour...

joagain

Re: NOW almond flour
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:04:57 AM »
What did you use the bobs red  mill ,because that is what i have

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:14:53 AM »
It took the better part of a year before Umpa and I finished the bakery book... much trial and error resulted in lots of flops while we experimented with different ingredients. Sticking to the recipes and listed brand ingredients will certainly help you avoid flops of your own :)

May recipes call for NOW brand "unblanched" almond flour. Apparently the blanching process used by some manufacturers changes the way the flour works in recipes. 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

LauriC50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:11:41 AM »
The store locator showed several locations in our town....hoping that the unblanched almond flour will be available easily...

It paid to go back to your book and do a search...went to the NOW site and used the store locator...and voila! Can't wait to make something using every ingredient you list...that will bring success!    :)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »
Welcome to the Fat to Skinny forum family LauriC50.  Good luck with your journey!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
Welcome LauriC50! If I can help please ask.I am umpa,dougs wife.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. The Bakery Book works best if when it comes to flours you use exactly the ones that I recommend.I went through cases of very expensive flours over a year to find the best ones.  ;) I like Bobs red mill flours.I am not sure if I ever had a problem with the almond meal/flour only the carb count.