Author Topic: I'm starting over  (Read 5434 times)

momx04

• View Profile
I'm starting over
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while in an effort to not bore everyone to death with the dreaded "my scale has not moved in a month" post.   

So, I am starting over.  Tomorrow is officially DAY ONE! (AGAIN)

Somehow I got lost in the belief that "well, I was probably eating 200 or more carbs per day before, and cutting it to 20 will definitely help me lose the weight."  I lost 13lbs in about 3 weeks. Then my mind crept to 25 or 30 carbs is still lower than 200+ and I should still lose weight. Plus I exercise 3 days per week (sometimes more if I can fit it in = burning approx. 500 cals. per workout).  I'm not losing anymore, just staying the same (thankfully). Before I creep up its time to re-focus. 

I am re-reading FTS and will begin my new day tomorrow. 
Wish me luck.  ;)
Theresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm starting over
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
Hi Theresa! :)

Kudos to you for recognizing that you've wandered away from the FTS rules.

"Carb Creep" is something we all need to watch out for.
It's far too easy to rationalize a few more carbs here and there.
But sooner or later, we find ourselves either stalled out or gaining weight.

Be sure to drink LOTS of plain water!
It's something that's easily overlooked but important to our bodies and our weight loss.

Best of luck restarting your FTS lifestyle.
As always, we're here for you and in your corner. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

scottinflorida

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
Hi Theresa -

I would wish you good luck, but thankfully, this works so well that good luck is not required!

Post here in the forum often, whether it's to report a success, ask a question or just communicate with like-minded people.

Scott

joagain

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
Hey Theresa ,dont ever feel we get tired of anything on here we are here to help each other . If someone is tired of someone belly aching they just dont comment ,but most of the time they will say something like I thought the same think that you did about well if I ate 500 carbs a day then I will lose eating 40-50 . You can probably find it in one of my post . LOL
 I think most of us has had thoughts like this but ,the fact of the matter is if the scale doent move after 2-3 weeks and we are not losing inchs we are letting carbs creep in that is for sure or just plain eating too much food !!
 Good Luck starting over !!!!!

Rena

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
You'll do just fine, Theresa! :)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
Jump in again with both feet. Stay true to eating 20 or less carbs and you will do great. Remember, this is a lifestyle not a diet. :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »
Thanks guys
I am really committed to this!  But lifestyle change is hard! We all know that.  Carb creep has gotten the best of me. For instance, almonds were a good source of fiber and a great appetite curber for those in-between moments when you just wanted to grab something good to hold you over till mealtime...One oz....I ate the entire container (8 oz.)  UGH......
Almonds are now my new poison. 
Exercise is my new drug.... I worked out today for an hour and I haven't had a craving for anything (but water) since noon! 

I'm at 10 Carbs for the day...re-focused!

Thanks Yall

Theresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
Thanks guys
I am really committed to this!  But lifestyle change is hard! We all know that.  Carb creep has gotten the best of me. For instance, almonds were a good source of fiber and a great appetite curber for those in-between moments when you just wanted to grab something good to hold you over till mealtime...One oz....I ate the entire container (8 oz.)  UGH......
Almonds are now my new poison. 
Exercise is my new drug.... I worked out today for an hour and I haven't had a craving for anything (but water) since noon! 

I'm at 10 Carbs for the day...re-focused!

Thanks Yall

Theresa

Hi Theresa! :)

You need not deprive yourself almonds.
Simply take the jar (or bag) and split it up into 1 oz. servings in small zip lock baggies.

Put the baggies in a place that not easy to get at.
And/Or put a small sign there that asks; "Are you REALLY hungry?" so you will think before you eat.

I've used the baggie trick with macadamia nuts.
I could a whole Costco sized can of them without thinking twice!
Now, I don't find the urge to eat so many of them at once and can have the Costco can around without a problem.
I save a little $$$ without having to buy those small baggies too! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »
Yes, jump in with both feet and before you know it this lifestyle will be second nature to you. 

mmcooks1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
Theresa I hear you and I concer. 

I don't want to complain and seem weak but I too struggle with the carb monster and portion control.  \

Baggies don't work for me I just eat all the little baggies I made up.
DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.

Rena

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »

I've used the baggie trick with macadamia nuts.
I could a whole Costco sized can of them without thinking twice!
Now, I don't find the urge to eat so many of them at once and can have the Costco can around without a problem.
I save a little $$$ without having to buy those small baggies too! ;)

Ugh! Rick just bought a big can of macadamia nuts from Costco. Those things are SOOO GOOD! They are 2 carbs per 1/4 cup and sadly, 1/4 isn't that big when it comes to those things.

My husband struggles eating more almonds than he should because he really loves the habanero ones. I buy the 100-calorie packs, so I don't have to worry about it. I really like the almond/walnut mix by Emerald.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 08:02:56 AM »
You can do this! You are honest with yourself ,you will do fine. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
"Carb Creep"
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
"Carb Creep" is a good way to describe a real and dangerous syndrome. It's how we all got here in the first place. The whole darn country "carb crept" from dinner plates of meats and greens with a small side of starch back in the 40's and 50's to dinner plates of carbs and starch with a small side of meats and greens today. Breakfasts were primarily fresh foods and eggs as cereal didn't really take off until the early 50's. It was 1952 when Tony the Tiger was introduced and in the mid fifties manufacturers started adding sugar to cereals. Lunches went from bagged and lunch boxes to fast food and prepackaged snacks. It's no wonder many of us have developed weight problems. 

For us FTS Lifestyle followers, including me  ::) "carb creep" occurs as we add a bit of this and a bit of that, a bite of this and a bite of that. It can happen quickly when we get comfortable with our new eating plans and get a bit sloppy with our planning.

There is no better antidote for carb creep than a reread of FAT TO SKINNY, a measuring cup, a food journal and a good old dose of being honest with our selves. The science of FAT TO SKINNY is what it is, it doesn't change, we do. Getting back to the basics of the program will always get you back on track.  ;)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
Perfectly explained Doug. 

Back to the basics I go!

Thanks
Theresa

~ Dr. Suess

Countrygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »
That is me to back to the basics I go. The last few weeks I haven't been doing all the cooking for meals do to my surgery. I thought I had enough food prepared ahead of time, but I didn't. So I relegated that when I could cook all the time again, then  I would start over again. I am just being careful what and how much I eat.

I now have the splint off, and am able to cook just not lift things. So I will be starting over , starting tomorrow.

Diane