Author Topic: Spanakopita  (Read 8194 times)

EL

• View Profile
Spanakopita
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:38:21 PM »
Please tell me how transform this recipe and how often can I eat it. I love spanakopita.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds spinach, rinsed and chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
8 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup olive oil

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: Spanakopita
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »
what is phyllo dough? :-\

EL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
It's a  pastry dough made in very thin sheets. It is used in many dessert pasteries such as baklava and spanakopita. You can find the dough in many grocery store frozen food areas.

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »
do you wrap everything else in the dough????...like a calzone?

EL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »
The ingredients can be wrap in the tough  or layered
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a 9x9 inch square baking pan.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, green onions and garlic, until soft and lightly browned. Stir in spinach and parsley, and continue to saute until spinach is limp, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Stir in spinach mixture. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in prepared baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with two more sheets of phyllo. The sheets will overlap the pan. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into pan and fold overhanging dough over filling. Brush with oil, then layer remaining 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into pan to seal filling.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
from what i see... the dough is going to be the issue:( >> if you can make the dough out of almond-soy-or some kind of low carb flour i think you can do it>> can you post a picture of what it looks like ?? i mean the finished product:) because ive never heard of it:(

EL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »
I tried to post a picture but it didn't work.

Maybe you can Google it  ;D

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »
like this :) ???

Cyndi

• Waiting & blessing the Savior...Shalom † Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
hey EL! looks awesome ...are you greek or lebonese...i am Mediterranean descent and I grew up on these and ...the homemade baklava :'( (which is so out of the question and my life now)...
but anyway, yeah, spinach pie, grape leave rolls, fictushe(or tabouli),hummus, the flat bread, oh and what was my favorite..
lebon...or lebboneh( a sour milk made into yogurt) ...i used to dip the grape leave rolls in it! ...I have been making up my own dishes with all the same ingredients, but have only used the "la tortilla' lo carb tortillas to replace any breads and put with the feta, spinach, lamb, or eggs for no meat...etc and changing things around to taste,,,and the olives! yum~~...i love that i still get to have that authentic flavor from the feta and such....grape leaves we pick fresh then freeze...i seen they have less than 1 carb per leaf so have to watch how many, they are "grape" leaves after all and then I just put the ground burger or lamb without the rice and used shredded jicama or shredded zucchini instead and then the olive oil and lemon juice is fine still to cook it in...then i dip them in a bit of sour crm now instead of the lebon or yogurt.... i have been eating them raw also like i always have, kinda like Doug does for the romaine snacks...putting cheese or a deli meat, etc... and rolling it up and refrigerating for a snack later...
I am hoping to post some of the dishes very soon and i am in the process of converting an awesome dessert....i will work on finishing that this week and post it!! thanks for bringing the spanakopita's up!! my mouth is watering!

Lord bless you on this new path to great health and skinny-ness... :D
Cyndi
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:33:08 AM by Cyndi »

.. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Corinthians 3:17

EL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 08:15:34 AM »
Hey Cyndy!
I'm not  greek or lebonese, but I looove Greek food.
For me is much more difficult because I'm vegetarian and allergic to soy and Sea food.
I'm trying, but haven't really started because can't make a menu for the whole day... :-\ :(
El

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:32:43 AM »
The problem as Gary already pointed out is the Phylo dough, made with flour it's very high in carbs. Unfortunately I'm certain one of the things you love about this recipe is the "flakiness" of the dough. This will be difficult to reproduce low carb. If it's the filling flavor you love that's easy. You could use this filling in many things including omelets, cabbage rolls, quesadillas with low carb tortillas, even pot pie with an almond meal dough top. Maybe if we all keep playing with ideas something will pop up ::)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
Funny i was just thinking about this recipe and going to ask umpa if she had any ideas cause this is one of my faves. The filling is awesome but isnt ricotta cheese a bit hi in carbs?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »
No Beebs I use ricotta on my pizzas and some breads.I also like marscapone sweet and wonderful.I think this can be done ,but  alittle different.El I am gonna work on this one.I think greek food is wonderful and healthy!  ;D I will get back to you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
Just ordered a pasta machine($26)  i need to make the phyllo dough it will be here wednsday!! ***I need to find some greek music***Off to Itunes!!

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
I LOVE mascarpone  cheese it is great with a little slice of strawbery and cream cheese on gg bread.