Author Topic: confused by info  (Read 3023 times)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
confused by info
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new to FTS. I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years. I have read all the books and tried Weight Watchers for 3 months. I believe the low glycemic science and have started following FTS BUT, after reading a variety of posts, I am confused. The book said to keep carb count below 20 per day and that we can use Splenda, Stevia etc. Some of the answers to posts mentioned that Splenda can slow or keep you from losing and I noticed a "detox" period being mentioned. I don't remember a detox period mentioned in the book? What are we supposed to be doing during the detox period? FTS has to work for me and I believe you all. I want to do this right but I think that I'm starting out with some misperceptions that are stalling results. I've been drinking my hot tea with Splenda and heavy whipping cream. Please also tell me about portions, how do I know that I am not over eating the protein portions etc. Thanks ahead of time for your answers, I really need your help. I can't exercise much do to 5 back surgeries and the weight I've gained isn't doing by back any favors! Happy to find the community, Catznflwrz

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: confused by info
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
Welcome aboard, catznflwrz.

I'll take a stab at your questions and others will have additional information, I'm sure.  Splenda is mentioned as causing stalls because those cute little packets are 1 carb each and sometimes people don't realize that.  Splenda is not a sugar alcohol, though, and sugar alcohols are guilty of causing stalls in some people.  In the beginning, also referred to at detox, I think it is best to avoid sugar alcohols and try to limit other sweeteners to help your palate adjust to your non cab lifestyle.  I use heavy cream in my coffee every morning.  A dollop or two isn't an issue. 

I suggest that you go back to the book and review Doug's advice about the timing and size of your meals.  Eat when hungry and give your body a chance to register that you've eaten by eating half of your plate and waiting 10 minutes to see if you really need the rest.  This will help you figure our when you need to eat and how much.  Over time, your portions are likely to grow.  That happens to most of us so it's good to do the whole eat-half-and-wait thing every once in a while.

I struggled with every "diet" I could put my hands on for 5 years until FTS became my lifestyle.  I'm not quite to my goal weight but getting very close.  Stick with it, be prepared for good weeks and not so good weeks and come visit us often. 

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »
Here are a couple of links that I found very helpful. I just recently started and got off to a shaky start on portion control. I can still have issues when I buy my favorite cheese at Sam's. :)

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=430.0

and

http://bodychecklist.com/article/healthy-eating/41394/9276/5-principles-fat-skinny-success

As for the Splenda, I believe a serving has 1 net carb so it can add up quickly. I started using the liquid version or stevia both with 0 carbs and it works great. I pre-ordered the FTS liquid sweetener and can't wait. It's a good price. :)

Good luck!!!

Tina

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
Welcome to FTS, catznflwrz! You've come to the right place! Detox is when your body adjusts to low carbs and rids itself of the sugar toxins. Some people suffer flu-like symptoms, some people breeze right through. Ridding my system of sugar takes about three days and then the craving is gone, but some people take longer. Don't worry about it, but try to limit even the sugar-free sweets to get through it faster. Some people have had success using sugar-free jello with heavy whipped cream to get by the sugar detox. I do better without any sweets. If you eat actual sugar, you have to start all over.

Serving sizes are: meat - about the size of a deck of cards; FTS approved vegetables - 1/2 cup. There's a post here in the forum with a list of vegetables. If you search anything, get back to the Fat to Skinny Forum base and then search. If you're in a sub category, the search will only be in that category.

Take your measurments right away so if you get stalled on the scale you can see your body still shrinking. I'm still shrinking even though the scales have been sitting tight for a while. I've actually lost about 25 lbs. but started over at 0 after the last stall. I could adjust it, but don't really care about the number lost - just the final number.

Glad you're here!

catznflwrz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
Gee, thanks everyone for your quick help. i can see right away that the Splenda is causing me problems. My husband and I did not understand that we should eradicate any "sweets" initially, thought they were OK as long as our carb count was under 20. He has already lost and not me... but, guess what? I've been drinking tea and not counting the 2 Splenda packets I was using for each drink. So, my carb count was not accurate by a long shot. I made the FTS "no bake cheese cake" and "nut crust" and it was very good. Unfortunately, I think I ate too much based on portion control. I think my problems and questions have been answered or revealed. Thanks, again!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
Hurry back.  As you can see, there's no shortage of opinions.  Congratulations to you and your husband for making the right choice to change.

And, it's a cruel fact of life that men lose weight so much easier and faster than women.

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
And, it's a cruel fact of life that men lose weight so much easier and faster than women

Hi catznflwrz Andrea beat me to it   ;D  This is so true so don't let it discourage you.  As far as detox...it really is best if you just keep it simple with the basics.  Especially until you get the hang of things.  After a while it will be second nature for you to spot the sugar and know your portions  ;)  Although there is nothing wrong with having some of the sugar free things....for instance the sweet in your tea.  The idea is to keep below 20 net carbs regardless how you spend them.  I think where the confusion is coming in is that it "can" cause some to stall so if you notice that you are not dropping weight the sugar alcohols should be the first to go.  If you like to use the splenda you might try the liquid splenda that doesn't have the extra additives that add the carbs.  The FTS sweetener is a good one.  ;)  stevia would be another. 

As far as potion control.... it is most important to have a handle on portions simply because your carb counts will be off otherwise.  I have to remind myself all the time to watch and try to weigh or measure my food to keep on top of it.....carb creep will get you if you aren't carefull.  Finally as Andrea suggested try eating only half of your plate and waiting to see if you are satisfied.  I am always amazed at how little I can get by with eating and still not be hungry

Good luck to you and your husband on your FTS journey we are so glad you came to join us  ;)   

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Hi Cat, welcome to the party!, here's a link to the portion size post- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=430.0 looks like the members gave you great advice  8) FAT TO SKINNY Zero Sweetener is very good and contains no hidden carbs, click the ad on the right if you wish to order it.

Stick to the plan, ask lots of questions and be active right here on your FTS family forum  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Welcome catznflwrz! i am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask ;) i have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. In two weeks you are gonna feel like a new woman!  ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Welcome to the family, catznflwrz!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

As you can see, you'll get TONS of support in this forum!... You don't need to go anywhere for it!!... And it's all FREE!!!
We really do care about on another here and want to help you achieve your goal.

Just hang on while your body adjusts during sugar detox.
You'll wake one morning and notice you feel wonderful and your energy levels will be through the roof! ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to hearing about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!