Author Topic: Help me hold on! Scale was down in up again!  (Read 5325 times)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
Help me hold on! Scale was down in up again!
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
Help me my FTS friends...please! A few days ago you all advised me that I may not be able to lose and still use sugar alcohols. I replied that I'd give them up but still keep them in my AM tea. I thought I lost 1.4 lbs...today the weight is back. I am dreading (actually fighting tears) to have to enjoy 0 tea or coffee. I hate either without sweetener. Having given up other sweetened foods like the One Minute Chocolate Cake and SF whip topping I thought I was doing OK...BUT it doesn't appear to be so. I started out 2 weeks ago at 190 and bounced up and down a lb or so for 2 weeks, dropped the sugar substitutes in all but my tea and thought I was gonna be OK when the scale read 188. Today it is back up to 189.6. I am miserable!!! I know that you all told me that often we have to let go of all sugar substitutes before the scale will move. I don't think I'm really losing weight at all. I think the same 1 or 2 lbs moving up and down is more than likely water and bowel changes. Giving up sugar and than SF sweeteners is one thing but giving up AM tea or coffee is another. I find that I am grieving just thinking about mornings with no tea. I am crying fowl and not fair. I know the world is not fair anyhow but I didn't anticipate having to give up on this food plan. I know,I know, you told me this could be true but why is it this way? Why can some of us not be able to lose any weight at all with just a little SF use? I need some suggestions and help again. I'm probably wearing everyone out with my complaining but I was really looking forward to the FTS way and now I feel like it's the same as my other weight loss efforts IE that it's supposed to work a certain way but then it turns out that it doesn't work that way for me. Of course, my husband continues to lose and enjoy sweet treats of all kinds. I'm not stupid. I did hear the comments about not losing when eating the SF sweeteners I'm Just Mad As All Get Out that it has to be this way for me! Any thoughts and will I be able to use the FTS zero sweetener that I ordered or will that be off limits too? Also,  I've been eating the One Minute Flax Bread with bannan flavor and 1 tsp of Xylitol, can the flax make me gain weight? Sorry for the constant complaining followed by moments of happiness but I keep thinking I'm doing OK and then I feel like I get blind sided again. Thanks guys, Catznflwrz

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help me hold on! Scale was down in up again!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:31:35 PM »
Hi Catznflwrz...I am sorry you are feeling frustrated today.  If I remember right, this is your 2nd week, right?  My best advice would be just to try to relax and don't stress over that evil scale.  My weight fluctuates all the time.   I just keep my ticker set to the lowest weight I've seen on the scale.   I guess I am weird in that I will go along weighing the same (or more  :D) for weeks.  Then all of a sudden, I will be down 3-4 pounds all at once.  I know that I am a lot heavier than you (at 264 lbs), and I tend to retain water very easily if I eat too much salt.  I have just learned that this program works if you just give it time.   Though I haven't lost in several weeks, just today I got into a pair of capris that I couldn't wear a couple months ago.  I think our bodies just have to be given time to adjust.

Though I've been doing this for a while now, I am still no expert.  Lately I am recording everything I eat so I can keep a closer count on my carbs.  From what I understand, the FTS Zero shouldn't be a problem in your coffee, and I really can't see that a little heavy cream in your coffee could hurt anything  either...?  Maybe Doug or some of the other folks will chime in.   I have just decided that I am going to eat the FTS way every day....no matter what the scale says.  I know my body is changing, and I know that I am healthier than I have been in a long time.  Hang in there my friend!  ;)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
Hi Maddysmom, Thank you so much for your response. On days like this the FTS community support is a big part of what sets  it apart from other weight loss plans (lifestyles)! I received my zero sweetener this afternoon. Unless I hear otherwise I'm planning to use it in my tea tomorrow AM but I will try to avoid any other usage of it for a while. Oh, except what little bit is required in the Flax muffin. I've really been enjoying the flax recipe for breakfast as I'm not to big on eggs every day. I see by your ticker that you've lost a lot of weight with FTS and I respect info from those who have gone before me and have been successful. I know that the science supports FTS, I am just so frustrated as I'm finding out that I'm probably one of the folks who doesn't get very far when using sugar substitutes. I liked the idea of substitution vs deprivation so I guess I have to have a hissy fit or two until I come to grips with what will become my weight loss reality. If my body is one of the ones that can't let go of fat in the presence of sugar alcohols, that would explain why I didn't do well on Atkins or Flat Belly. In both cases I used lots of sugar substitutes and of course didn't know that they could affect my weight loss as I've learned with FTS. Who ever it was that told me that losing weight with my husband was a two edged sword was not kidding, 'cause he's losing a few pounds every few days! And he can eat Russell Stover candies and eat SF jello and whip cream along the way! Although, looking at him gets better and better! I also know that I have a ways to go with drinking enough water. It seems like if I don't set a timer or something, i drink some, planning to drink more in a while, and all of the sudden the day is over and I haven't drunk nearly enough! I wouldn't be looking at the scale so often except that since I just started FTS I guess I'm looking for confirmation that it is going to work. I suppose it's silly since I've tried everything else and it's working for my husband and I know that science supports it. I just want to see some results so badly. Thanks again, Catznflwrz

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
Hi Catznflwrz  I'm sorry you are having a tough day  :(  don't worry about fussing around here....that's the great thing about this forum....we are all here together so fuss away if you need to  ;)   

Maddysmom is right you need to try and relax and stay off of that scale for a while.  They are truly evil......It's crazy that we let something that small and insignificant ruin our day like that.  Get a measuring tape or even a string and take your measurements if you haven't already and go by how you feel and the way your body is changing.  I know it is hard to do but for your piece of mind try your best to stay off of that thing.   Also.....keep in mind that 2 cups of that tea you like weighs a pound  ;) ;) 

I'm wondering if maybe you are taking in more carbs than you realize??  Maybe you can post  a couple of days of everything you are taking in for us to see where you may be having some carb creep.  Portion sizes may be off etc....  hang in there we are right here with you  ;) ;)     PS... I'm thinking you should be able to use the zero sweetener with no troubles..... Doug is probably the best person to answer that though   

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Catznflwrz, take a few deep breaths. You aren't alone. I'm can't have most sweeteners either - but I believe ZERO will be ok for us. Hang in there. Big HUGS. Use the ZERO in your tea or coffee. Like Shawn said, post everything you eat. Doug will chime in and tell you what to eat.

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:57 PM »
I understand you on this catznflwrz I have been that way myself, but if you just give it time it does work. The first couple of weeks are the hardest. Where most say 2 weeks to adjust it took me almost 4 it was really hard. I found that walking helped a lot, lol to clear my mind too. Just remember we are all here for each other, I'm new to the forum but I been on this lifestyle for almost 4 1/2 months. it does work..... Bless you for your effort..... WB
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »
Catznflowers STAY OFF THE SCALE!! You are not being punished :D Stick to the program,stay under 20 carbs a day and I promise you will lose the weight,its science.Enjoy your food and don't be so hard on yourself.Usually when people start they are missing something they think they are eating that is low carb but its not.Post your meals and we will help you.If you need help please ask.IF YOU ARE A QUITTER YOU CAN"T BE A LOSER!!! :D :D ;)

getskinny

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi Catznflwrz
I agree with Umpa

It took awhile for my body to release weight and I was too impatient.  I find measuring my waist, abdomen and hips is a better way to see the difference.  I also take a picture ( in the same outfit) every week and post it up with the inches I have lost .  You would not believe the difference .  You can do it!

Don't be so hard on yourself!
Hugs
Faith :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Welcome, BIGTEX.  It's nice to have you aboard.

Catznflwrz, you are being way too hard on yourself.  You are changing years of habits and that can't be done overnight.

Now the lecture:  DRINK THE WATER.  I'm sure there are some people out there who can lose weight without the water, but they are very rare and it really isn't good for you to be eating low carb and not drinking enough water.  Your liver is working overtime to flush out the fat you are using and you need to do your part by giving it enough water. 

I agree with Shawn that if you post your food journal, there may be other areas that we can help with.  One more time around the carousel and you can grab the brass ring, too.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
Andrea how was your girls weekend? :)

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
Welcome, BIGTEX.  It's nice to have you aboard.

Thank you Andrea :)
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
My weekend was beyond wonderful.  I sat in the center seat on the airplane and was comfortable there.  I have short legs so that helps but the "side-to-side" fit was no problem.  You know the semi-nasty look you can get if you are overweight and want the middle seat because that's all that's left on the "bags fly free" airline?  I didn't get those because I'm not overweight anymore!

That's success!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »
You must feel great! ;) I am so happy for you!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
That's fantastic, Andrea!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Awesome Andrea!!