Author Topic: ketones? & KY Derby day!  (Read 2121 times)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
ketones? & KY Derby day!
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
Greetings FTS Friends, in my frustration of still seeing inconsistent weight loss results, mostly up and down, I started using ketone test strips to see in more detail, what is going on. I've found that with use of no sweeteners at all I'm staying in the strongly "moderate" zone. Without use of any sweeteners I drop back to "small" or less than moderate but more than 0. I'm playing with less and less carbs now. Any way, what does having ketones show up in your urine tell us exactly? Also, my husband is loosing weight consistently and I am not yet and when he tested he showed no ketones at all. We thought he'd be off the charts with ketones! Enjoying reading FTS posts today while digging on the Pre Derby racing on NBCSP and looking forward to The Kentucky Derby later today. Any other horsey folks in the FTS family? I don't usually follow racing but The Triple Crown and the coverage they give it, with all the back stories etc I really enjoy! Catznflwrz

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: ketones? & KY Derby day!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Hi Catznflwrz! :)

As I explained in another post, the presence of ketones in the urine will vary from time to time.
The reading on the Ketostix will tell you if you've burned any fat since your last urination.

But... Ketostix are NOT reliable!
In addition, Ketostix have a very short shelf life.

I personally have noticed that right after losing several pounds, those things would show little to no ketones.
At other times, I see "moderate" (or higher) with no loss (in pounds or inches) at all! :-\

Our weight naturally varies day and day out for many reasons.
So the scale can be every bit as unreliable as Ketostix.

For those reasons, it's best to forget about them and focus on your measurements and how you're feeling.
Both of those "measurements" are VERY reliable! :)
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
Hi Catznflwrz!  My daughter and I LOVE horses!  :)  We don't have one of our own, but we have been trying to convince my husband that we "need" at least one.  ha ha  I grew up with horses, but haven't had one since my teens.   For the past MANY years, I was honestly just too big to even think about trying to get on a horse.  :-[ 
We built our home on family land, so we still have access to the big old barn where I kept my horses as a kid.  Dad always maintained it, so it's in GREAT shape!  We've been looking at horses today! The farm we visited today had mostly thoroughbred "hunter/jumper" type horses, but we just want to do pleasure/trail riding.  I will keep you posted!   ;D

catznflwrz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
Hi Maddysmom, I was an equestrian my entire life until 5 back surgeries and subsequent bankruptcy took it all away. I rode H/J and was a Jr. Jumper champion throughout my junior years. I became a trainer/coach and ran a 20 stall boarding stable near Ft. Lauderdale for 20+ year. I switched to dressage in 1990 and rode a marvelous mare through 3d level when it all stopped when the surgery that was supposed to help me ruined me. We later invested in real estate and lost all. If I could at least loose the weight I've gained throughout all of this I'd feel so much better about everything. I just posted a "cry for help" again this AM as I'm not getting anywhere for 2 months now. I hope you find the nice pleasure/trail horse that you are looking for. I miss my "horsey" life something fierce. I went back to school to get educated in a job that was less physical but can't find employment even with help from vocational rehab. Gee, reading what I've written sounds so awful, and it is BUT there are many blessings in the past 10 years too and I certainly haven't missed any meals (I'm rolling my eyes) FTS has been the best hope I've felt in a long time. Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Catznflwrz

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
Did you do your measurements catzflowers? If you have been on the program for 2 months you should be losing.Why don't you post what you are eating so we can help ?That means everything that crosses your lips ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Including quantities, not just what you ate.  There are carbs creeping in somewhere.

Deli meats?  Sherriepie found a problem with sugar in deli meats. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
Catzflowers I answered this on your help question.I also left you a question about your medications.The percocet can cause weight gain,Oxy undecided I left you the info.Are you on predisone?