Author Topic: Medical Dr supports FTS  (Read 4758 times)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
Medical Dr supports FTS
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
Hi FTS friends, I was watching the 700 Club a few days ago and they had a Dr. Hyman on the show. His book, The Sugar Solution, 100% supports FTS! I gave it a quick read at the book store and was happy to find he agrees with the LC lifestyle. His version is much stricter only suggesting lean proteins, LC veggies and water. He also stresses the use of NO SUGAR or SUGAR SUBSTITUTES ever! This book might be very handy when you need to show others that the FTS lifestyle is medically correct AND it might help to persuade other Dr's if they want a medical person to agree with Doug. I find it funny that this book is being talked about as "new" since Doug has been doing this for a while now! Thank you all for your advice and support in response to my last post. I must find a way to get through the long nights of not getting to sleep until 2 or 3 AM. So many hrs go by way past dinner that I am really hungry. By that time of day, I can't face any more meat, cheese or eggs. I used to eat berries at this time of day... but then I can't loose weight. I think I can give up sugar substitutes but I must find some way to ease through the long nights. At this point this is the, ( I think) the final battle for me to figure out before I can finally begin to loose some weight.  I haven't had time to post my meals yet as my hubby needed me to redo his resume just as I was saying I'd start posting so you all could help me. I will soon, but know that no matter what I'm still following FTS.Any thoughts for late nite snax besides celery? Catznflwrz

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: Medical Dr supports FTS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
The only thing that I can think of right now, Catz, for a late night snack that sends my tastebuds to bed for the night is that I made some cucumbers in vinegar for dinner one night and had some left over. They are so zingy that only one or two sends my nibbles to never-never land! I put a little olive oil in a bowl, added a few drops of ZERO and some salt, garlic and pepper, then sliced the cucumbers into the bowl, then added enough rice vinegar and apple cider vinegar to cover the cucumbers. They were good right away, but really strengthened in the fridge overnight. Now I just eat one or two of the cucumber slices at night if I'm feeling munchy and that's all it takes. Be prepared to make some funny faces...

owensmath

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
Pork rinds - most of them are 0 carbs, but read labels because some of them are not 0.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
A low carb tortilla with peanut butter or soynut butter.  Put a thin layer and roll it up.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
"His version is much stricter only suggesting lean proteins, LC veggies and water. " Not sustainable for the long term, gotta have replacements. Catz, make a batch of macaphoney and cheese, heat a serving up for your late night snack. Full of protein, warm and gooey ...very satisfying. Why are you staying up so late?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »
Doug's question reminds me to ask how much sleep you are getting, catz.  I used to sleep 4 to 6 hours a night and that really isn't healthy, even though I thought I was functioning just fine.  It took more than 6 months for me to gradually get to 7 or 8 hours a night.  Since I work full-time, I resented how much sleep was infringing on my free time, but I know that adequate sleep is part of feeling good and losing weight.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Medical Dr supports FTS
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
You need sleep to lose weight:-*

catznflwrz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
Hi Guys, Sorry I'm so late in responding to your questions. I don't sleep because I speed on the pain pills that I have to take to survive. I mentioned them in another post. Of course, if I didn't speed on them I wouldn't be able to have any life at all as the other reaction for most people is to be a zombie. I take 60 mgs of MS Contin at 7AM, 3 PM and 11 PM every day. I take Percocet 10/650 for breakthrough pain. I've been on these or a variation for 10 years now. I started at 125 at 44 yrs old when 1 back surgery turned into 5, then I remained bedridden for 23 mos and began menopause. It's been 10 years and I weigh 190. I've been exercising at a gym, or walks or the pool for the past 4 years. The first 2 years when I was bedridden I gained 40 lbs. Back then people were always saying that it was good because I was too skinny anyway. I went  from living an extremely active life running a horse boarding, lesson and show stable to this. I gained another 10 lbs when caring for my (then) blind and demented mother. This year I gained another 5 lbs when I got plantar faciitus and couldn't walk or swim for the past 6 mos. For the past 4 yrs I have actively tried to loose weight trying: vegetarianism, The Zone, Flat Belly Diet, Atkins and Weight Watchers. Every time I thought I had found "IT" and failed. In WW I had to give up my "extra 49" weekly pts in order to loose. That left me so hungry I decided that I could starve without spending money! I'm committed to FTS because I believe the science and the help from FTS is the first real help I've  ever gotten from anyone. Oh yeah, my Dr. put me on 1200 calories per day.....and I didn't loose. You are the first to mention that I might need to not use any sugar substitutes and I bought FTS zero. So far, as I've posted recently in two months of effort I've lost 0 lbs. I keep readjusting. I've used sleeping pills and Ambian had me eating at night with no memory of it the next day! I currently take Flexiril a muscle relaxant and it helps to get some sleep. I am never that tired because I don't do very much, but I know other people wheelchair bound etc can loose weight. I keep adding water, cutting sweetener use, quit eating OMMs but still nothing. I am truly miserable but the e mail I got from SarahC the other day helped. I'm willing to keep trying. The weight on my gut is very bad for my back and that's where most of it is. I was going to start posting my menus a few days ago but got burdened with a lot of computer work to help my husband with resume and job apps. I'll start posting today. Thanks for everything, Catznflwrz

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »
Your post makes me want to wrap my arms around you and give you a big, but soft hug  :'( Behind every black cloud there is a silver lining. The good news as I read your post is you've put the brakes on gaining and you're not hungry, that's a big step in the right direction. I really don't know how your different medications have affected your body however my first guess is your metabolism has slowed way down. Is there a way to get your heart pumping quickly each day for 10-15 minutes which will also be low impact?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Thanks so much for your big E Hug Doug, Yes I can swim in the pool. I usually try to keep moving in the pool for at least 1/2 hr but I have an old shoulder injury that keeps me from doing a classic swimming stroke. I swim on my back and I "dog paddle" and I stay in the deep end and "run" instead of the classic "treading water" movement. Also, where do I post my menus for you to review? Thanks Doug and all the FTS Family, Catznfwrz

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
There is a thread called meal plans.  Here is the link.
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
My heart goes out to you too, catznflwrz! :'(

By focusing on low impact exercise like swimming, walking, etc., you can get your metabolism to start humming.

And PLEASE post your meal plans on the board that Andrea shared.
If we could see what you're eating (and how much), we might be able to help you more.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 03:18:30 PM »
You can do this and we are gonna help you ;)