Author Topic: Supporting my husband.  (Read 16582 times)

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
Supporting my husband.
« on: May 29, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
Hi Doug,  I am fairly new to FTSFand E.  I found out about your book through GG BranCrispbread.  I have been using them for 3 years now.  I am married to a type II diabetic and over the past several years have been witnessing his health spiraling downward at a rapid rate.  He has recently been diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy, neuropathy in his feet and just had 3 procedures for venus reflux in his legs after being found to have a large DVT in his right leg last October.  My husband is also named Doug.  He has already had 2 heart attacks and 3 stent placements.  Doug will be 55 in June but feels he is already old.  On the weekends he mostly just wants to sleep.  Right now I think he weighs about 300 lbs at 6' 2".  I told him about your book and he downloaded it and read the whole thing in one after noon which was very encouraging to me.  We have done the yo yo thing repeatedly with other eating plans such as Atkins and South Beach.  I lost 45 lbs on WW and have kept off all but 10 for 4 years now so I am planning on changing to your eating plan with him and hope to lose 20 lbs myself.  I do exercise regularly, he does not.  We do have a fitness club membership and use the elliptical mostly but his feet swell and that keeps him from wanting to do a lot.  This is Memorial Day Weekend and I am taking advantage of an extra day off to get organized and get busy with FTS.  I'm not sure why I felt the need to share this with you but this has been a very emotional journey for me.  I want to do all I can to help him but I know it is really up to him.  Hoping you can share some words of wisdom for our situation (thanks so much for the ones you have already shared!).  I think I could use a support group for supporters!

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

beebs

• View Profile
Re: Supporting my husband.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
Hey! Ive been a type one diabetic for many many years now and I have quite a few problems myself. FTS really works within 6 weeks my sugars had normalized and my A1C came down to 7.2 from 8.9. Your husband WILL feel better and wont have to exercise to make it work. When he starts feeling better then he can work in some exercise.  I encourage you to stick with it!!!

UFGatorJenn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of FTS!  You'll meet so many wonderful people here, and learn more than you can imagine!

Jenn

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
Thanks Beebs.  I really have a good feeling about this and I appreciate your words of encouragement so much!

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
Thanks Jenn, I am looking forward to meeting people and learning more!

Cyndi

• Waiting & blessing the Savior...Shalom † Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
Welcome Paula  :D
I believe you are right where you are supposed to be and now have found what you were searching and asking for of the Lord~
Doug and his wife Umpa are so wonderful and such very caring folks! All they want, as well as the rest of us is for you two to
be healthy, healed and whole again and gain knowledge in the truth of what we are putting in our bodies!
Lord Bless you and your hubby on this part of your life journey~ Have a wonderful weekend!

Cyndi

.. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Corinthians 3:17

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
This is what I would like you to do, I would like you to put the computer in front of Doug and click the link to the forum. I and the other people in this family want to grab him up and lead him down the road to good health. I think the both of you need love and friendship right now and this is the place to get it. Please let him know we are waiting for him.  :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
Welcome Paula! My heart goes out to you.If I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to ask.I would be more than happy to help you and your husband.I haver a column on the homepage called ask umpa.I can convert your favorite recipes.Its very important that you don't go without anything. ;)

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »
Hi, Paula. Welcome and thanks for sharing your touching story. It is evident that you love your husband very much! : )   I found out on March 11th that I have type 2 diabetes. My fasting blood sugar was 244 and my HA1C was 11. My blood sugar immediately improved after chaning my living to the FTS mindset. When I have checked my sugar, it's been 116 to 136 and I will find out on July 1st what my HA1C is. I want my doctor to be SHOCKED because he didn't think that I would have much improvement in the first 4 months!

Phil

• Realize how rotten sugar is for your health.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 02:03:17 AM »
Welcome Paula,
                     I have type 2 and have been investigating sites for a while. This site and Dougs book are the best and it really works fast. Everybody here is helpful and kind. Doug and Umpa are a plethora"I love that word"of information and are always happy to help. Get your husband in here and we will make him fill welcome. ;D
And if I claim to be a wise man. It surely means that I don't know... Kansas

bevxx

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 05:31:25 AM »
welcome paula... :)....xx

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for making us feel so welcome.  Doug did come in and read what I wrote and all the responses.  We feel very blessed to be here and are looking forward to taking this path along with all of you wonderful people.
Paula

dougchappell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
Just set my husband (Doug) up with a profile and ticker.  Welcome Sweetheart!  We can do this!

Cyndi

• Waiting & blessing the Savior...Shalom † Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
Welcome doug! so glad you are here too! We are behind you and your precious wife 100%!
You two are beautiful! Lord bless your hearts
 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵`*•.¸♥♥¸.•*`Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Cyndi

.. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Corinthians 3:17

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:44:38 AM »
You a golfer doug?