Author Topic: Running  (Read 4607 times)

Hilltown girl

• View Profile
    • Email
Running
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »
Hi,
My son and I are both following your Fat to Skinny life style - we have both lost about 25 pounds and like it very much.  My son started running 5 miles every other day - he is having a hard time with the running - which he attributes to no carbohydrates to fuel himself for this type of exercise.  Any suggestions as to maybe what he sould eat those days in order to have the energy needed would be greatly appreciated.  He also craves sweets alot ( he drinks diet soda to try to take care of the  cravings) he never used to crave sweets - any ideas on this.  Thank you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Running
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
How much does your son currently weigh? When you say "he is having a hard time with the running" exactly what trouble is he having? Craving sweets, not sure yet.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »
Welcome hilltown girl! I am umpa ,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask. I also like to run.You do not get energy from carbs for running because they burn out too fast.Protien is the answer because it burns slower and feeds the muscles.Soy protien shakes with fruit would be a good choice,protien bars or a high protien breakfast.As far as sweets there are plenty recipes here on the homepage and we also have a Bakery Book.I also have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly. Did I answer your question? :)

Hilltown girl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
How much does your son currently weigh? When you say "he is having a hard time with the running" exactly what trouble is he having? Craving sweets, not sure yet.

He is 31 years old and weighs 250lbs. He is dragging - he does not feel he has enough energy for running 5 miles.  He seems to crave sweets daily - which he never used to.

Hilltown girl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
Welcome hilltown girl! I am umpa ,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask. I also like to run.You do not get energy from carbs for running because they burn out too fast.Protien is the answer because it burns slower and feeds the muscles.Soy protien shakes with fruit would be a good choice,protien bars or a high protien breakfast.As far as sweets there are plenty recipes here on the homepage and we also have a Bakery Book.I also have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly. Did I answer your question? :)
Hi Umpa nice to meet you.  I have never been in a forum before - this is kind of fun.  I really appreciate both your and Dougs support.  I did not realize you could have preotein shakes on this diet - I thought they would have to many carbs - he used to use protein shakes but those are really...really high in carbs.  Where would we purchase soy protein shakes with little or no carbs.  I am interested in baking - but have not gone out to try to get the special flours - like soy flour or almond flour - any ideas where to start getting baking supplies.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Hilltown girl!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

We are all here to support one another, and YOU too!

Craving sweets is not uncommon for someone with insulin resistance problems (either pre-diabetic or just diabetic type II).
I used to have wicked sweets cravings at night after dinner.

High carbs (like in candy, bread, potatoes, etc.) are evil.
Eating them causes an appetite for more.

Umpa gave some excellent advice for alternatives.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:54:45 AM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »
I buy soy protien powder(0 carb bobs red mill) and make my own in a blender that way I don't have a gallon of choclate that lasts forever!(I have a short attention span  :D)You can add fruit ,flavored stevia or sugarfree coffee syrups to flavor them.You can but them in powder in gallon jugs though.The carb count should be 0-3 carbs per serving.One of our type 1 diabetics spiked with the atkins shakes so I don't recommend those.I buy just about everything at amazon or netrition because of shipping.Netrition is $4.99 flate rate and amazon prime is $75 for a year for two day shipping.I am always working on a cookbook so it saves me alot of money.The Bakery Book is full of healthy goodies that your son could also eat before he runs and cure his sweet tooth.I wrote it so that children could make the recipes.Its all from scratch no mixes. ;)

snobles

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
@Mouseissue, I NEVER thought about that!! It's kinda like sodas I guess? For me anyway, the more you drank, the more you wanted! Never thought about that as far as "food." You're a genious!  ;D