Author Topic: Blood test results  (Read 4829 times)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Blood test results
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
Ok so big high to big low.  Pht. :(  I just got back from my doctor's appt this afternoon, and what wonderful results he had to tell me.  NOT.  So 35 years old and my bad cholesterol is 220, good is 57.  I am pre-diabetic.  What exactly does that mean?!  Does that mean it's not bad enough for medication...yet?  Ugh.  And I think the part that made me the most mad is that according to their scale I only lost 2 LBS.  Double UGH.  I'm just frustrated, and kinda a little scared. 

owensmath

Re: Blood test results
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
What are your blood sugar numbers? Did they do an hA1C test? or a fasting blood glucose test?  Consider this information your starting point. Mine changed drastically after the first three months on FTS... even my cholesterol greatly improved. Don't panic. You will be fine while doing FTS. I am proof!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »
I don't even know what the #s are - he didn't tell me.  And I don't know which test it was either, guess I need to ask some questions.  I know it wasn't a fasting test though, I had my blood drawn late afternoon after work.  And thank you for the boost, I need it right now!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
Hi Jen! :)

You need to get a fasting blood test for accurate blood sugar and hA1C tests.
Set another appointment for 1st thing in the morning and have a blood draw after fasting.
Be sure to get the results from your doc!

Like owensmath, I too am living proof that your health will vastly improve living this lifestyle.

When my doc first gave me a report like yours, it was about 7 years ago... Long before I knew anything about FTS.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have been skinny for a long time and would not have needed all those damn drugs.
Not to mention, also having wonderful blood workup numbers.

You found FTS right on time!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Let it keep you from what I had to go through.

Check out my improvements at this thread: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2199.msg19816#msg19816
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:39:39 AM »
Hey Jen Pre just means in doctors terms sugar is elevated that is what they told my  husband & sister , Just keep doing what you are doing dont worry about your weight . Buy you a blood checker at walmart and some strips and check you sugar every morning when you get up before you eat anything , It will get lower everyday that you do the FTS . Mine has and Tylers has too (my 15 year old)
 I believe the cholesterol takes a while to go down when you start low carb everything will be different in 3-6 months ! Well that is what I have learned with Tylers Type 1 Diabetes  when they check his yearly big blood test . When he was eating a lot of carbs although cholesterol was not high his # was higher the the next year when we cut the carbs down a little . I am courious to see it at the end of this year because he is really practicing low carb now  I know that in the past his A1C was like 8.5 and when we went in January of this year it was 6.5 that is very good # for a diabetic .

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:11:56 AM »
Jen you have come to FAT TO SKINNY at exactly the right time in your life. All of your current blood profile symptoms and your "pre diabetes" are the results of eating a high sugar diet for years. I had exactly the same problems but worse! I reversed every one of them as have many other people on this eating plan.

Don't be scared you have found the right course of action here.....KEEP THE FAITH, STAY THE COURSE and stay in touch with your doctor. Couple other things.

Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. Always weigh yourself at the same time.....naked..... once every week or two is sufficient, in the morning after your business. When you stepped on the docs scale you were clothed and you had already started you day....even 8 ounces of water taken in weighs 8 ounces, 1/2 pound....understand?

secondly, I'm questioning the bad cholesterol number you posted, 220, are you sure that's not your total cholesterol? If that number is actually your bad cholesterol the doctor would have prescribed you medication such as Lipitor or Crestor...did he/she?

Here's the Mayo Clinic suggested numbers

Total cholesterol
U.S. and some other countries  Canada and most of Europe   
Below 200 mg/dL Below 5.2 mmol/L Desirable
200-239 mg/dL 5.2-6.2 mmol/L  Borderline high
240 mg/dL and above Above 6.2 mmol/L High

LDL cholesterol (the BAD one)
Below 70 mg/dL Below 1.8 mmol/L Ideal for people at very high risk of heart disease
Below 100 mg/dL Below 2.6 mmol/L Ideal for people at risk of heart disease
100-129 mg/dL 2.6-3.3 mmol/L  Near ideal
130-159 mg/dL 3.4-4.1 mmol/L Borderline high
160-189 mg/dL 4.1-4.9 mmol/L  High
190 mg/dL and above Above 4.9 mmol/L Very high

HDL cholesterol
Below 40 mg/dL (men)
Below 50 mg/dL (women) Below 1 mmol/L (men)
Below 1.3 mmol/L (women) Poor
50-59 mg/dL 1.3-1.5 mmol/L Better
60 mg/dL and above Above 1.5 mmol/L Best

Triglycerides
Below 150 mg/dL Below 1.7 mmol/L Desirable
150-199 mg/dL 1.7-2.2 mmol/L Borderline high
200-499 mg/dL 2.3-5.6 mmol/L  High
500 mg/dL and above Above 5.6 mmol/L Very high
*Canadian and European guidelines differ slightly from U.S. guidelines. These conversions are based on U.S. guidelines.

LDL targets differ
Because LDL cholesterol is a major risk factor for heart disease, it's the main focus of cholesterol-lowering treatment. Your target LDL number can vary, depending on your underlying risk of heart disease.

Most people should aim for an LDL level below 130 mg/dL (3.4 mmol/L). If you have other risk factors for heart disease, your target LDL may be below 100 mg/dL (2.6 mmol/L). If you're at very high risk of heart disease, you may need to aim for an LDL level below 70 mg/dL (1.8 mmol/L). In general, the lower your LDL cholesterol level is, the better.

You're considered to be at a high risk of heart disease if you have:

■A previous heart attack or stroke
■Artery blockages in your neck (carotid artery disease)
■Artery blockages in your arms or legs (peripheral artery disease)
In addition, two or more of the following risk factors might also place you in the very high risk group:

■Smoking
■High blood pressure
■Low HDL cholesterol
■Diabetes
■Family history of early heart disease
■Age older than 45 if you're a man, or older than 55 if you're a woman
■Elevated lipoprotein (a), another type of fat (lipid) in your blood
Types of cholesterol
LDL cholesterol can build up on the inside of artery walls, contributing to artery blockages that can lead to heart attacks. Higher LDL cholesterol levels mean higher risk. High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is known as "good" cholesterol because it helps prevent arteries from becoming clogged. Higher HDL cholesterol levels generally mean lower risk.

A blood test to check cholesterol levels — called a lipid panel or lipid profile — typically reports:

■Total cholesterol
■HDL cholesterol
■LDL cholesterol
■Triglycerides, a type of fat often increased by sweets and alcohol
For the most accurate measurements, don't eat or drink anything (other than water) for nine to 12 hours before the blood sample is taken.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
Thanks Doug for the info - I didn't do fasting for that test either.  He did not put me on medication, and yes I am positive he said that was my bad cholesterol level, he said I needed to get it down to 100.  He is the one who suggested FTS to me, and he told me as long as I continue to follow FTS I will not need medication, everything will go down on its own.  He did suggest plant sterols also.

Thanks to all for the support and boost!

Rena

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »
Good luck, Jen!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
Thanks Doug for the info - I didn't do fasting for that test either.  He did not put me on medication, and yes I am positive he said that was my bad cholesterol level, he said I needed to get it down to 100.  He is the one who suggested FTS to me, and he told me as long as I continue to follow FTS I will not need medication, everything will go down on its own.  He did suggest plant sterols also.

Thanks to all for the support and boost!

Hi Jen! :)

You are blessed to have a doctor that believes in the FTS lifestyle.

And he's right, follow the FTS rules and your cholesterol will improve greatly.
My bad cholesterol was originally (before FTS) over 140.  Now it's about 66.
What you do today is what matters!