Author Topic: ANNOYED  (Read 4093 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
ANNOYED
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
I stopped into the supermarket to buy my favourite seasoning - Lemon Pepper.  Ingredients are basically salt/pepper/food acid/sugar/paprick/etc.  Whilst there is sugar it's not the first item and 1 don't use that much.  Since they didn't have any of the my favourite, I was getting my second choice which didn't have sugar - it's a much chunkier product.  What I found was that they had changed the ingredients to now include rice flour and breadcrumbs.  Not Happy!! I checked all the other seasoning products to find a substitute - they all included rice flour and sugar (including all the other brands of lemon pepper) and these were the first ingredients listed.

Not a happy camper by far.  Was trying to work out a way to make my own.  The lemon flavor is stumping me a bit as I want to make a reasonable batch so I don't have to make it up each time.  If I put a piece of lemon peel in what do you think?

The rant is actually about - why do they insist on taking a good product and ruining it?  They've done it to me a number of times.  Just as well (after having learnt my lesson the hard way) that I now always read the carb count and ingredients.

I am sooooooo annoyed!!!!!

shawn116

Re: ANNOYED
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
I find that very annoying too Morgan  >:(  It seems to happen to me all the time  :-\  Here is a homemade lemon pepper recipe.  Seems easy enough: http://www.simplyscratch.com/2010/11/homemade-lemon-pepper-seasoning.html

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
Thanks TooSweet - does seem easy enough.  Now to get some lemons.  I know there are carbs in lemon juice - any in the zest?

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »
Good question!  By checking here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ it looks like it is .9 per 1 Tbs.   

This one .32 per 1 Tbs http://www.quitehealthy.com/nutrition-facts/lemon/091561.html

And yet this one is 0 net carbs for 1 Tbs with 1 carb - 1 fiber  http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1941/2

So I guess take your pick....LOL  But if it were me, I would err on the side of caution and count 1 Tbs as 1 net carb

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
Homemade is always better  ;)

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: ANNOYED
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 05:26:39 AM »
It's funny you said that because yesterday we were im Sam's club and my wife wanted the lemon pepper and when we looked it had sugar and how do you think we felt? It's crazy I know. We put that thing back in the shelf lol fast!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 04:30:31 AM »
I find that very annoying too Morgan  >:(  It seems to happen to me all the time  :-\  Here is a homemade lemon pepper recipe.  Seems easy enough: http://www.simplyscratch.com/2010/11/homemade-lemon-pepper-seasoning.html

Good recipe TooSweet - all went well.  Grinded it up in my coffee grinder  ;D

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 05:25:59 AM »
I have some info about lemon flavoring.....I have this favorite salad at a local restaurant that I love, that had a lemony flavor.....and I tried and tried and never could get it right....then I became friends with the gal who runs the place, and once day she told for me the secret....instead of lemon juice....she said a lot of restaurants you.....are you ready for this......LEMON KOOLAID for lemon flavoring that does not water down the dressing or whatever recipe you are using....yes there are times -- actually more times -- that I want fresh squeezed lemon, but for some things where you want the flavor but not the liquid, you can use LEMON KOOLAID for flavoring......

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
More hidden sugar. U think its just innocent lemon juice with 1c or so and they up the ante. Not fair.

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
Good recipe TooSweet - all went well.  Grinded it up in my coffee grinder 

I'm glad to know it worked out good!!    I'm thinking that I may want to make some up myself to be sure there isn't any junk in there I don't want   :D :D

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
I have some info about lemon flavoring.....I have this favorite salad at a local restaurant that I love, that had a lemony flavor.....and I tried and tried and never could get it right....then I became friends with the gal who runs the place, and once day she told for me the secret....instead of lemon juice....she said a lot of restaurants you.....are you ready for this......LEMON KOOLAID for lemon flavoring that does not water down the dressing or whatever recipe you are using....yes there are times -- actually more times -- that I want fresh squeezed lemon, but for some things where you want the flavor but not the liquid, you can use LEMON KOOLAID for flavoring......

I've often used these for flavoring but here is something most don't know or don't pay attention to   http://www.sugarfreedrinkreviews.com/kool-aid-unsweetened.html

Nutrition Information for All Kool-Aid Unsweetened Drink Mixes

The various unsweetened Kool-Aid sugar free powdered drink mixes have virtually the same nutritional information listed on the 2-quart envelopes with only a small variance in sodium between flavors. Each 1g serving of powdered unsweetened Kool-Aid mix (8oz. prepared) has the following nutritional values:

Calories: 0
Sodium: 5 to 15mg
Sugars: 0g
Carbohydrates: 0g
Total Fat: 0g
Vitamin C: 10% USRDA
Ingredients of All Kool-Aid Unsweetened Drink Mixes

The consolidated list of ingredients common to all unsweetened Kool-Aid powdered drink mixes is below, along with any additional ingredients that are specific to only some of the flavors:

Citric acid, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Maltodextrin (dietetically insignificant and found only in Grape, Orange, Pink Lemonade, Lemonade and Soarin' Strawberry -Lemonade flavors), Natural and/or artificial flavors, Lemon juice solids (found only in Lemonade and Pink Lemonade), Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Artificial colorings depending on product (for example, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Blue 1, or Yellow 5), BHA (antioxidant freshness preservative found only in Tropical Punch, Orange, Pink Lemonade, Lemonade and Soarin' Strawberry -Lemonade flavors).

If you notice the Maltodextrin.....this has carbs.  I'm assuming they don't have to list them as carbs because you get under the amount that is required for them to count them on the label.  So be careful with using these in large amounts.....you may have some carbs sneaking in on you  ;)

Funny how they say it's "dietetically insignificant"  HA!! 

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: ANNOYED
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »
This is outrageous how they do this and not think that they are lying :-\

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:21:06 AM »
Wow Toosweet, thank you for the information, that was helpful, and a reminder for me to read read READ labels and ingredients....the most I've ever used of that at a time though has been about 1/2 teaspoon....it's so strong, can't imagine ever using any more than that.  It's good to know there are sneaky carbs in that also....

also re-reading what I wrote.....holy moly I had typos....that's what happens when I type when tired....typos and rambling!

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
The hidden sugar is one of the big first things I noticed when I started doing FTS a few years ago. When bagged lettuce has THREE carbs because they added sugar to it, I knew I was on the right track. I just can't believe how many Americans are eating all the extra added sugar in everything and not even knowing it. Crazy, Crazy, Crazy!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »
I agree ;)