Author Topic: Stuffing (Dressing)  (Read 3559 times)

Shoelace

Stuffing (Dressing)
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:50:36 PM »
Stuffing recipes start with bread that has already been baked.  I have tried several of the low carb stuffing recipes and they weren't so good, so I decided to try baking the bread along with the stuffing.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out, it tastes like traditional sausage stuffing.  I don't wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas to serve this, it's good anytime.

Stuffing (Dressing)

1 tablespoon rubbed sage OR 1 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pork rinds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 lb. bulk sausage
6 tablespoons butter
onion as desired, chopped (optional)
¾ cup celery, chopped
2 eggs
½ cup water
½ teaspoon chicken bouillon

Grind the pork rinds into a flour.  Stir in the almond flour, sage, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside. Oil an 8” square pan.

Brown the sausage, remove from skillet. Add the butter, onion and celery. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the onion and celery until it is done the way you like it. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs, water and bouillon. Stir in ½ of the dry ingredients until well blended, then the other half. Stir ½ of this mixture into the skillet, then the other half. Stir in the sausage.  Spread in the pan and bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stuffing (Dressing)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:18:20 AM »
There is a cornbread recipe on here that Jo posted that would make great dressing ;) Really good cornbread.I use more goldenflax than she does in the recipe to get that corn taste ;)

Shoelace

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
We can't eat flax, stomach cramps.  That's why so many of my recipes contain pork rind flour, but you can't taste them, even in the dessert recipes.  These recipes are pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.   ;D

Shoelace

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
We can't eat flax, stomach cramps.  That's why so many of my recipes contain pork rind flour, but you can't taste them, even in the dessert recipes.  These recipes are pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.   ;D

Do you think flax  or almond meal/flour can be substituted for the pork rinds?

Shoelace

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
Almond flour wouldn't work because it doesn't absorb enough liquid.  I know that some people substitute flaxmeal for pork rinds in other recipes, so I guess it would work.  Would probably change the taste quite a bit, I'd think.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
This sounds great!