Author Topic: Beans, I found a good one  (Read 3752 times)

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
Beans, I found a good one
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:02 AM »
I have been spending so much time in the grocery stores reading labels it is becoming a pasttime. Sometimes it really pays off. I found some beans made by UNICO they are called LUPINI BEANS. They have 16g of carbs and 16g of fiber. You have to love eating the 0 things. If you have high BP it does have 41% sodium. I guess nothing is perfect.

Bella

• View Profile
Re: Beans, I found a good one
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
Wow great find !  I've never heard of them . Are these canned ?  dry ?  in produce ?  Did you try them ?  Details Details  LOL

institches9709

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
HI Cara,

Good detective work!  I've been looking everywhere for the black soy beans and couldn't even find them at Whole Foods when I asked the clerk and he said they don't carry them. Also close to Jungle Jims and couldn't find them there either and they have everything, except black soy beans!

Would the share the name of the store where you found them and could you just rinse them off to get rid of some of the sodium?  Thanks for the info.

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
Use the link below to find a store that carries Eden Organics.
Even if the store doesn't carry the black soy beans they should be able to order you a case.
My local health food store did that for me and the price came out to $1.89 per can!
http://www.edenfoods.com/storelocator/search.php

institches9709

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »
Thanks Joanne,

I will check that link out and maybe I can get someone to order them for me. Thanks for the tip.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »
Let us know what the flavor is like.Here is a recipe I found for the dried beans.Very interesting. ::)
-       1 pound dried lupini beans
      salt, as needed
      olive oil and black pepper, as needed
Prep Time: 6 or more hours

* Pick over beans to remove any debris. Soak overnight, drain and rinse. Cover by several inches with fresh water and simmer for an hour.
    * Drain, rinse well, and cover with salted water (about 1 tablespoon per quart of water).  Refrigerate.
    * Repeat this process every day for 5 days, or until the soaking brine is no longer bitter.
    * Beans will keep for weeks, covered with lightly salted water and refrigerated.
    * To serve as a snack, drain desired quantity of beans, drizzle with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
These beans were canned. They were made by UNICO. I made a chili type dish with them, and put water chestnuts in with it. Next time water chestnuts will not be my first choice. The Lupini beans were good, just a little bigger than I expected them to be. They are the size of a dime. Actually, as I was eatin, that was the first thing I picked out of the bowl.

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
Instiches9709- I am unsure if rinsing them will get the sodium off. I don't know if it is obsorbed. Even just sitting in the can a certain amount will be obsorbed.

institches9709

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »
You're right Cara, guess I was just thinking when I did WW a very long time ago. They always suggested to rinse any canned veggies because of all the salt that was added. Just thought it might take some of the excess salt out, but maybe they have already absorbed a lot of it.  Makes sense!  I just love black beans and have looked in stores but never found any black soy beans.  Will check out the website at Eden Organic and may just have to order them online.  Missing my chili with beans.  I used to fix some type of soup every week for lunches at work or dinner.  I did make the cabbage soup and it was good!

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »
Couldn't hurt to try to rinse, but you won't get an exact salt number.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
When I make chili with black soy beans I put them in the pot when I add the raw meat.hat way they have time to soften up. ;)

Cara

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
That is a good idea Umpa, I think I will try that next time.