Author Topic: Cauliflower, Turnip and Cheddar Soup  (Read 8277 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Cauliflower, Turnip and Cheddar Soup
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
Here's another recipe from the same website as the Pork Tenderloin with Herb and Mustard Butter, but I had to tweak this one as it had potatoes and way too many onions. I replaced the potatoes with turnips.
http://southernfood.about.com/od/soupandstew/r/Cauliflower-Potato-And-Cheddar-Soup.htm

Cauliflower, Turnip and Cheddar Soup

Yield: Makes About 10 1-Cup Servings

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 large head of cauliflower, broken into small flowerets, about 6 to 8 cups of flowerets
3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
4 to 6 cups chicken broth, divided
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or a combination of sharp and mild Cheddars
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
sea salt, to taste

Preparation:

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, chopped celery, cauliflower, turnips, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 to 10 minutes. Add 4 to 5 cups of chicken broth, or enough to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 25 to 35 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.
 Stir in the cream, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, cayenne, and pepper. Using a blender, purée the soup in about 4 batches until smooth. You could also use an immersion/handheld blender right in the pan. Return the puréed soup to the stovetop and heat through, adding more chicken broth if a thinner soup is desired. Taste and add salt, as needed.

Garnish the soup with a drizzling of extra virgin olive oil, or a chili or garlic infused olive oil. It would also be delicious with fresh chopped chives, a little diced cooked bacon, or a swirl of sour cream or roasted red pepper puree.

Makes about 10 1-cup servings.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cauliflower, Turnip and Cheddar Soup
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »
Well done Sarah .I don't cook enough soups and stews.Its been so hot here.In North carolina I do ,its cooler. :)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »
I make soup all year - thin (broth-type) soups in the summer and thick (creamed-type) in the winter. Easy to make and quick to heat and eat.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Thanks for the great recipe, Sarah! :) :) :)

I'm gonna file this away for next Fall.
It's starting to get a bit too warm for hot soups around here.
What you do today is what matters!