Author Topic: Ready to get started!!!  (Read 3718 times)

eliruthy

• View Profile
Ready to get started!!!
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
Hi!  I just bought/read the book and it was GREAT!!!  It was such an easy read and very enjoyable and I am not a reader!!! 

I do have some possibly dumb questions---before i can start.  I made notes of many foods to buy to substitute for other foods and read all about making a snack tray etc....but---I'm confused on serving AMOUNTS per day of a few things.  Veggies, I got the serving sizes and what's allowed in the book, but am unclear of HOW MANY different veggies you can have per day, and how many servings total of each/one. 

Also, I read "low fat milk" a few times in the book, and i got that we can eat cheeses---is milk included in this diet?  Assuming whole milk if so.  I guess overall what I'd like to have is a sample menu of not when to eat, but how much of xyz i need to eat per day, or, does it matter as long as i keep the carbs under 20?  Need some advice! Thanks!

joagain

Re: Ready to get started!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:12:42 AM »
Welcome  eliruthy !! As far as the food you measure out your veggies . keep up with your carbs , when you get to 20 carbs you are done eating food with carbs . I write everything down myself . We count only carbs and start out with 1 serving of non carb foods if you are still hungry then get some more . We dont count calories but or mindful of them .

Milk has 13-15 carbs in it for a 8oz glass that would be half of you carb allowance , We use Almond milk (unsweet one )it has 0-1 carb just put a little sweetner in it or a little sugar free chocolate sryup . You will learn something new in this forum everyday . Here is the link from the front page of the forum it is different meal plans of what people are eating everyday . Welcome to the first day of your new life !!!!!

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
Welcome to the family eliruthy! It's just to simple is'nt it :) Read your labels, measure your quantities of veggies, check the carb counts for them in the book and stay under 20 "net" carbs per day. If you want to eat all your carbs in veggies that's up to you, just don't cross the threshhold. The first thing you need to get a handle on is why do you eat.

Sounds like a silly question doesn't it.....why do you eat? But this very important question has 4 possible answers and it's important for you to look deep into yourself and get a handle on why you eat. As you answer the question don't feel bad, we're all here for the same reason and we all got here the same way...including me! Don't think for one second that I don't have to go back periodically and review my eating habits, I do it all the time. I'm forever conscious as I want you to be as to why and how much I eat. So here's your test;

Do you eat for;

Pleasure, Fuel, Boredom or a combination?

The ONLY correct answer in this list is Fuel. Our bodies need food for only one reason, to fuel the machine. AND with that said the amount of fuel each of us needs differs between people based on their activity level. You judge how much fuel you need by listening to your body once you've taken some fuel in. You should only eat enough food to satisfy the need. The best way to "see where your at" is to simply eat a small amount and wait 15 minutes....see how you feel. You'll know if you've eaten enough if you listen to your body. Use the FAT TO SKINNY portion size list as a guide to get you started.

Now with all that said I want to let you in on a little secret. Umpa and I have one rule in our home. Because we know we eat for Fuel we made a ruling that "every bite must be spectacular" That way we add pleasure to our food intake. 

Of course you should always be aware of sugar intake and stick to the < 20 carb per day rule. As you shrink you'll need less and less food so it's important to always "be in review" and aware of WHY you eat.

FAT TO SKINNY Portion Sizes At a glance

Common Equivilents

Fruits and Veggies

1 cup of chopped fruit=  A baseball
1 cup of chopped salad = A baseball
½  cup of cooked  veggies=    A tennis ball

Meat and Poultry

3 oz= A deck of cards
8oz= A small paperback book

Fish, Cheese and Nuts

3oz of fish= A checkbook
1 oz of cheese = 4 dice
1 oz of nuts = 2 ping pong balls

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
Hi Eliruthy and welcome to the forum!  You will enjoy this lifestyle!  Just don't overthink it.  ;) I really feel like that if I can do this, ANYBODY can!! Once you get past the first couple of weeks, you will be ON YOUR WAY!!!  ;D 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:29 AM »
Look at you go maddysmom..... over 81 pounds down now!! congrats  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
Welcome to the family, Eliruthy! :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's good to fully understand how to use this lifestyle to your best advantage.
But Maddysmom is right!... Don't get too caught up in details.
Given this is a lifestyle, just relax and enjoy it!

The key to succeeding with this lifestyle is to make a firm commitment that you will, from here on out,
live by the FTS rules as laid out in the book (some of which Doug mentioned here).
If you do that, you will not only lose your excess weight, and be much healthier, but also be so much happier! ;D

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about your FTS journey!
What you do today is what matters!

eliruthy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Thanks everyone!!!  this is officially day 1 for me.  I went to the store and found some items I needed to survive today :)  I am only up to six carbs and don't forsee many more today---my steak is on the grill---already ate my salad and had a tortilla ;)  Is there a number TOO LOW for carbs? I don't consider myself SUPER ACTIVE as far as strenuous exercise goes, but I am running after kids all day!

joagain

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
 some days you will eat 20 some days 10  Just dont go over and watch for hidden carbs .

Rena

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
Good luck!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
I am only up to six carbs and don't forsee many more today---my steak is on the grill---already ate my salad and had a tortilla ;)  Is there a number TOO LOW for carbs? I don't consider myself SUPER ACTIVE as far as strenuous exercise goes, but I am running after kids all day!

During the first several months of weight loss there really is not a number so low which is reachable eating a balanced meal plan using FTS approved methods. It's almost impossible to eat all zero carb foods for any Length of time. Your body will provide itself the majority of fuel from the stored fat as you deprive it from added carbs. My magic number is to stay below 20 however many days I don't exceed 10-15. You'll find your balance, just keep moving forward. 8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »
Welcome eliruthy! if I can help you please ask :) I am umpa,dougs wife.I have a column on the home page called Ask Umpa where I can help you convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum! :)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
Welcome!  ;D
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/