Author Topic: Is this cheating?  (Read 3720 times)

DeniseH

• View Profile
    • Email
Is this cheating?
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
Dear Doug,

I was wondering if, when I eat celery stalks dipped in Smart Balance (low carb) peanut butter - can I consider the two as one entity and subtract the fiber count in the celery from the peanut butter's total carbohydrates?   ;)  Certainly seems logical to me!

Thanks, Denise

owensmath

Re: Is this cheating?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »
Wow, great question. I can't wait for Doug's answer!

LEESE

• It's up to me
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - chunkymonkey2222
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
OOO I want to see too ...

And the way I look at cheating .. it's not cheating if you make yourself accountable  ;D
It's up to me

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »
Celery is .8 carbs for 1/2 cup raw.
Here is the peanut butter
Total Fat 16g   25%
 Saturated Fat 3g   15%
 Trans Fat 0g   
 Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g   
 Monounsaturated Fat 12g   
Cholesterol 0mg   0%
Sodium 145mg   6%
Potassium 185mg   
Total Carb 8g   3%
 Dietary Fiber 2g   8%
 Sugars 3g   
Protein 7g
 All in all that is a 7 carb snack for a tsp of peanut butter and a stalk of celery. If you want free peanut butter, or Carb Not Beanit Butter from Dixie Diner. It has 0 carbs. Otherwise you are spending a large amount of your daily carbs on a little snack.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
no denise.beebs is correct.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum, this is an excellent question. Before I answer it let me first say Beebs gave you the advice I would have given you about switching to Beanut Butter, it's zero carb and very tasty. You can also use my crunchy peanut butter recipe in the book to dramatically reduce peanut butter carbs. Now to your question.

The answer is yes and no AND it's complicated. Many times type one diabetics are taught to add together total carbs in a meal and subtract total fiber to help arrive at the amount of insulin they should take prior to eating. This would tend to make you believe that fiber can negate any type of carb....but that's not true. Carbs that metabolize quickly like the added sugar in your peanut butter will not benefit from the fiber in the celery but the carbs from the peanuts which metabolize more slowly will. Trying to keep track of the process is tricky and cumbersome and should not be attempted unless you are an insulin taker and need to go through the process to determine dosage.

The FAT TO SKINNY program makes you accountable for each carb you consume and credits you for each gram of fiber for that particular food. This is the easiest way to keep track of your max 20 net carbs allowed each day.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)