Author Topic: Gluten free/celiac + diabetic scenario topics  (Read 5144 times)

Margot

• View Profile
    • Email
Gluten free/celiac + diabetic scenario topics
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:31:43 AM »
I was diagnosed celiac 1year ago and attacked that problem to where I now test negative.  Several months ago I was also diagnosed per-diabetic.  I take no medication but am keeping watch over my blood sugar.  I tended to go hi/low if I wasnt careful wih my eating.  Recently my sugar has gone up and doesn't drop back down like before so I went looking for a solution that I felt I could manage. FTS sounded just right....so I am on Day 2---very hungry, but my sugar is already down.

I have been reading the various posts and checking stuff out on web sites (hours now) and I would love to get feedback from everyone especially on the GF/Diabetic front.  Especially recipes and shortcuts - everything is so very expensive buying online.

joagain

Re: Gluten free/celiac + diabetic scenario topics
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
Hi Margot I cant be any help with the celiac but my son has type 1 diabetes and since we found out about FTS his sugars are great ,although he will always have to take insulin (unless they come up with a cure ) he can keep his sugars level . His A1C was at 8.1 last year this time it was 6.1 . Which from what the docs tell me is unheard of with  for a teen that has Type 1 to have 6.1 she says they consider anything under 8 good  :P ( I dont think so ) .

So you just stick with it for 2 weeks and you will see a big difference . There are plenty of recipes on here for regular foods that you do not have to order for . It is true it gets expensive , I am not able to order anymore right now as my husbands hours have been cut . You will find all the help you need  here . ;D
Welcome to FTS

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »
Hi Margot! Welcome to the Fat to Skinny forum! I buy almonds from Sam's Club or Costco and run them through a coffee grinder to make almond flour. It's cheaper than buying pre-made, although Amazon and netrition.com are good sources for specialty products. You can make a lot of recipes using regular food (as you probably know). Do you have the FTS cookbook and Bakery Book? I think the flours are the most expensive things.

I make 'omelets' in a muffin tin - I use silicone cups for liners - put a dot of butter in the bottom of the cup, add a tablespoon of grated cheese, drop in an egg, poke the yolk (or mix up some eggs with brocolli, mushrooms, peppers, etc. in a bowl and then fill the cups to 1/2 inch of the top), put another tablespoon of grated cheese on top and bake it at 325 for 20 minutes. Sometimes I cut up Canadian bacon and put it in the bottom of the cup. These are easy to grab from the fridge and pop into the microwave - sometimes I just take them cold. They fill you up fast and taste good. I use pepper Jack cheese on the bottom and sharp cheddar on the top.

If you're hungry, you should be eating more. Just because it's low carb doesn't mean low food. There are tons of things you can eat. Don't be hungry. Even in detox there are great things you can eat.

Look around the forum for recipes that you'll like.

Margot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
Thanks for replying, it is nice to have support.  I hope this is the correct way to reply to you?  Iam hungry bcz I don't have a large selection of foods as yet -  mostly proteins, which I have always enjoyed.  My problem has never been sweets - just real heavy carb infestation!  So I keep looking for quick fixes that r low carb, yet GF!

buford354

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
Margot,

Hey Buford here, I am a Type ll Diabetic. FTS works well
 for me and with high protein snacks I stay between the white
lines or should I say below 100 in the morning wakeup BS check.
MY salvation was to become a label reading detective, it will suprise
you where those carbs are a hiding. I love fried pork rinds for the
crunch and no carb satisfaction they give me for a quick snack.

One thing a diabetic has got to watch also not just high BS ,
but low BS, thats when I am most liable to spring for a quick carb fix
your starving and all you want is something to stop that feeling.
I no it well, trust me.

The FTS life style works, remember don't remove foods you enjoy
replace them, this isn't about starving it's about replacing a bad
food source with a better one, and with Doug and Miss UMPA,  selection
will not be a problem.

Our Best to You and Yours,
Buford and the Girls(The Cold Nose Gang)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
Welcome to the FTS forum family Margot!   :)

Everyone has given you great advice here..  I am what I call a recovering diabetic thanks to FTS.  I no longer have to take my meds and my blood sugar has stayed in normal range from day one.  So I know you have come to the right place  ;D  If you look around the forum you will find some great recipes to replace that infestation that you speak of...LOL  Yes there are many things that you can order on-line but to tell you the truth I don't do that all that often.  You are right it can get expensive.  Umpa and Doug have some great cook books and if you have a craving for something special... Umpa has a page called ask Umpa.  She can convert just about anything you can think of...LOL  I don't think we have stumped her yet  ;)  

The biggest thing that stands out from your post to me is that you are hungry.  You shouldn't be.  Yes you want to stay below 20 net carbs but try to have as many 0 carb choices around that you can grab when you have those "I gotta have something" moments.  Especially while you are detoxing from those carbs.  It's easy to make the wrong choices when you are hungry.  Don't forget to drink lots of water, it will help flush your system faster.  Also I believe you will find that many FTS and low carb recipes are already gluten free by nature.  For sure though if you have any questions, suggestions, rants or raves.... just post them and someone will chime in....there is great support on the forum and we are glad you have joined us  ;) ;)  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:12:01 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
Everything you need is in your local grocery store Margot.Meats and greens will make you lean.I wrote the Bakery book so people would not have to buy expensive pre-packaged products online. Make yourself a food list.You should never be hungry.If you need help just ask we are here for you ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Everything you need is in your local grocery store Margot.Meats and greens will make you lean.I wrote the Bakery book so people would not have to buy expensive pre-packaged products online. Make yourself a food list.You should never be hungry.If you need help just ask we are here for you ;)

That Bakery Book is a life saver to bread and dessert eaters who are longing for their bread, or cake, or pie... Thank you, Umpa! Having these wonderful recipes has kept me from cheating more than once! I tell myself that I'll make myself some bread when I get home and that let's me pass the wheat bread by - as for desserts, if I know I'm going where everyone will be having a dessert, I take my own. I don't know if I'd be strong enough to resist, otherwise!

I've spent hundreds of dollars on diets that didn't work, so when I spend a little on xylitol, almonds, flax meal, etc., it's ok because it's WORKING.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
You are welcome.I love to bake! Its funny though when you can have bread anytime you want you don't eat it much :)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi Margot and welcome to our FTS family!  I know you will find lots of great support from our members who have also dealt with diabetes.   I'm thankful to have never had any serious health problems, but I really believe I got my hands on Doug's book JUST in time.  I am seriously planning to eat this way the rest of my life.

I try to stay on a budget, so I hardly ever order anything.  I do stop by my local "Good Nutrition" store about once a month just to buy xylitol and the unblanched almond flour, but I always find everything else at the grocery store.  The golden flax is usually found on the health food isles.  Not sure if you have discovered the "One minute muffin" yet....but it's one of my favorites for breakfast topped with a little cream cheese.  There should be no hunger here....when you feel that....it's time to eat!   ;D