Author Topic: Dizziness~Dehydration  (Read 8413 times)

Hummingbird

• View Profile
Dizziness~Dehydration
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Hi Everyone:

I'm a newbie here. For the past week I have been reading and learning a lot from this forum. It's wonderful. I've been on FTS for 9 days and lost 6 lbs. so far  :)   

Occassionally I have dizziness and I have been very dehydrated. I drink A LOT of water but still feel dehydrated. Is this typical when starting out?

*I'm not a diabetic although I checked my sugar using hubby onetouch and it is 98.
*Blood pressure is fine.
*Eating 20-25 carbs per day.

Thank you!

shawn116

Re: Dizziness~Dehydration
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi Hummingbird welcome to the forum and congratulations on the 6 lbs lost so far. 

It's not unusual to feel icky for the first 2 weeks while you detox form all that sugar and carbs you are used to eating.  Not everyone will react the same and some are lucky enough to not at all.  I would say yes it could be from the detox and that would be a normal reaction, but if it is too troublesome or doesn't go away I would consult your doctor to be on the safe side.  Be sure you are drinking plenty of cold fresh water.  I try to keep mine to at least 80-120 ozs a day.  Hope you are feeling better soon  :D

Hummingbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »
Thank you TooSweet  ;)   I'll drink more water ...looks like your drinking close to 15 glasses a day.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Hummingbird!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Congrats on the great start! ;D ;D ;D

I remember how icky I felt while going thru sugar detox.
You'll know when you're past it... You'll wake up with more energy than you'll know what to do with! 8)

Hang in there!
It will get better soon!!! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

moose61

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »
Hummingbird,

Try drinking a cup of full sodium broth in the morning and afternoon. It'll shape you right up. You don't get near the sodium you're used to eating low carb, because you're not eating the processed foods you used to. It works in minutes.

Hummingbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
Thank you Tony for the warm welcome  :)  I can't wait till I feel that "energy."

I don't know if you have experienced this also, but I believe I am in ketosis. My breath smells fruity. I read online today that's from a low carb intake. Good thing is my body is using fat for energy but I read it can start muscle wasting and kidney problems  :o 

@Moose61: That does sound yummy in the morning but I don't know if the sodium will make me even more dehydrated. I'll have to look into it. Thank you  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »
Hi Hummingbird welcome to the family :) Moose has brought out a great point about salt...especially if you're in a warm climate. Down here in the Keys right now we're still hitting mid 80's and humid every day. As coached by our other members detox time will make you feel off for as much as 2 weeks. Keep pouring in the H2O  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
Welcome Hummingbird! :) I am Umpa,Dougs wife. Your body will burn fat before muscle for energy.Your symptoms are normal for detox.We have never had anybody have kidney problems with this lifestyle. If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.You are doing great! :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:02 AM »
Welcome aboard, Hummingbird.

There are two types of ketosis and the one associated with low carb eating is not the same as the one that is a dangerous side effect of diabetes.  Most of us on this forum are producing ketones as a byproduct of fat burning.  In the low carb world, ketosis is a good sign.

It's also unlikely that you are actually dehydrated.  You are feeling the symptoms of withdrawl from carbs and those feel like the symptoms of dehydration.  Keep drinking water, though.  It helps cleanse your system. 

Hummingbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
@Doug: Thanks you for the support and good advice. Heating up my broth right now.. ;) BTW...hubby is on FTS also and diabetic. He's lost 10 lbs. ( guys always lose more faster, urrrr...he-he :D ) and his blood sugar used to be 200-300's now 80-150. YEAH!!!! Hasn't givin himself insulin or evening glipizide in two nights!!   Thanks Doug  ;)

@Umpa: Thank you for the reasurrance that "this is normal." I'll ride it out and psh more H2O!

@Andrea: I've never been on a low carb diet before so this was all new to me. I will push the fluids to cleanse the system. Thank you!

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
his blood sugar used to be 200-300's now 80-150. YEAH!!!! Hasn't givin himself insulin or evening glipizide in two nights!!

Congrats to your hubby too Hummingbird!!  That is awesome  ;D ;D 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »
Type 2 diabetes is curable ;)

Hummingbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »
Thank you TooSweet!

And I totally agree with you Umpa.  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
Type 2 diabetes is curable ;)

So true!!!... I'm a living example of it! :) :) :)
Thank the Lord for FTS!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

moose61

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
Did the broth help any Hummingbird?