Author Topic: Newbie with a question  (Read 6681 times)

Siltz

• View Profile
    • Email
Newbie with a question
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »
New to FTS and am excited to step on the scale to see my progress.  Has anyone tried this program with a cheat day or cheat meal added in sometime during the week?

MommaB

• View Profile
Re: Newbie with a question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
Hey Siltz and welcome to the family! I have to say that since this is a lifestyle change for me, there isn't a "cheat" to be had. You cheat on diets and this is not that for me, so I would have to say no!!

Also, once I went through 2 weeks of withdrawal from all the carbs and sugar, I never ever want to have to do that again!!

There are tons of great ideas and recipes on the forum and wonderfully supportive people!! Take time to read all the great posts and encouragement!   :D

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum Siltz  :) 

I have to agree with MommaB.  I wouldn't want to go in and out of detox all the time  :P :P  Besides there isn't any reason to "cheat" when you always have replacements for your favorite things

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Siltz.  I agree with MommaB and Shawn.  Cheat days are likely to really derail your efforts to change your eating habits and embrace the low carb lifestyle. 

So, my question back to you is what do you want to eat on your cheat days?  There are low carb replacements for just about anything you need.  If low carb is what you do just so that you can get to a cheat day, you are only cheating yourself.

I love eating low carb and don't see any reason to cheat.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »
Hi Siltz :) Welcome to the forum .I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. Cheating is not going to hurt anybody but you.Make the commitment for two weeks to follow the program and you will be shocked! It will change your life,I promise :)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
Welcome Siltz.  Great to see another new name on the forum.

I agree with you all.  I briefly followed a program that included one cheat day per week.  They included it because the rest of the week was so restrictive.  With FTS, there are really no restrictions.  If you want pizza, have low carb versions of pizza with all the cheese, meat and veggies you could want.  Want cake and ice cream, look at all the low carb cakes, cookies, ice creams, etc. available on the forum or in the cookbooks.  There is no need for a cheat day.  I even switched to low carb beer for those occasions when a cold beer is just the thing... Best of luck with the FTS program (although luck isn't really involved, is it?).

Mark

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Siltz!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Early on, I've had a couple "cheat days" and ended up paying the price by slowing my progress for 10-14 days each, and experiencing sugar detox symptoms afterword.

So you understand, sugar detox is what we experience for up to a couple weeks after we start to deprive our bodies of sugar. And like detox from an addictive drug, some discomfort is not unusual.

FTS is a lifestyle... Life is an every day event.
No more than we can (or would want to) take a day off being alive, we should not purposely derail ourselves by "cheating". Like Umpa said, we only cheat ourselves when we do it.

We use replacements for our favorite high carb (sugar) foods. This minimizes urges to "cheat".
But if we unintentionally "slip", we know all we need do is go back to the FTS rules and continue our journeys.

The FTS eating lifestyle program is fully spelled out in Doug's book.
I encourage you to reread it. I've read my copy over a dozen times! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Welcome Siltz, you will love it here - someone always ready to help.  Posting often keeps you on track and accountable.

I suppose the ultimate question is 'do you want to lose the weight?'

You have barely started and want to cheat already.  You don't have to cheat, as those before me have said - we have substitutes for, well, almost, everything.  This is going to become your lifestyle not just a diet.

:)

Siltz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »
Just getting used to the whole "limited sugar/carbs" lifestyle.  Didn't want to cheat in a bad way.  Some eating plans allow free food days or meals.  Wanted to know if any one had tried it with FTS.  I don't want to sabotage any progress I have made, just had that question.  Another question, is there a way to make Beanit Butter taste better.  Tried it for the first time today and found it very unpleasant. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »
Yes add Zero to it. Or make beanit Butter cookies from the Fat to Skinny Bakery. I store my cookies in the freezer.Doug mixes his 50-50 with Smuckers Natural . There are lots of low carb peanut butters out there or you can make your own. ;)

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
is there a way to make Beanit Butter taste better.  Tried it for the first time today and found it very unpleasant.

I have a little trouble with the taste myself.  I have found though that my tastes for things have changed the longer I am living FTS.  So I'm still hopeful....haha  I don't think I will ever get to where I can tolerate the Walden farms peanut spread though  :P :P :P    If you mix the Beanit butter half and half with natural peanut butter (the lowest carb count you can find) it helps a great deal.  It adds carbs but the carbs for the natural spread is cut in half.  I think some even add a few drops of zero sweetener to it but I'm not sure of the amount.  Here is a previous conversation about it  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2338.0

For sure keep an open mind though....after you settle into this lifestyle your taste buds will change as well.  I'm not sure if it is just me but now that I have all the sugar out of my system....my food taste so much better.  It's like putting on prescription glasses that you have been needing for a long time...haha

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
I mix a jar of IM Healthy unsweetened Soy Nut Butter and 8 drops of FTS ZERO Sweetener with a jar of Smuckers Natural peanut butter then add ground edamame, walnuts or even chocolate almonds for the crunch effect.  ;)  I find the IM healthy Soy nut Butter in my grocery store for far less than Beanit Butter...As a side note, The IM healthy company manufactures the Beanit Butter for Dixie Diner.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
The IM healthy company manufactures the Beanit Butter for Dixie Diner

That is good to know  :)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »
Psssssssssssst!!!  Stiltz....how you doing buddy...starting out with something new isn't easy...you hanging in there? 

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
NO cheating don;t reward yourself, for negative behavior.
A cheat day, becomes a cheat meal, then a cheat snack, then a quick trip to a store for more cheating. set a goal, then when you reach it,. Reward yourself with something other then Food. Example. Buy new clothes, a movie something other then food. Don;t cheat you will be setting yourself up for failure.
If you do slip, just get right back on the FTS ride and stay strong. Hope this helps.
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.