Author Topic: Back to Basics  (Read 8747 times)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
Back to Basics
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
So have been reading the internet and have listened to about everything on internet and youtube has to offer about low carb....so now just confused......time to re-read FTS.....I remember before it was plain and simple.....and while i STILL can't find or figure out who i loaned my FTS book, I'm reading the pdf version I got from  here.....unfortunately I'm a paper book gal still (I'm old)....so it's slow going.....

And having to track every bite...I need to see the calorie, fat, carb , protein counts with my beady eyes.....

I have to be successful this time...no going back.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Back to Basics
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Hi, Elizabeth! :)

Do you know why any tribe that has more than one chief gets confused?... They don't know who to follow!

The one common denominator between FTS and the other low carb sites is that we all agree that eating low carb will help folks lose excess fat. The confusion starts when it comes to "How".

I know from experience that the FTS lifestyle made me MUCH healthier AND I lost a bunch of FAT in the bargain!
There are a lot of other folks here who've done the same.

So reread the FTS pdf book... It will set the record straight for you and eliminate your confusion.

You CAN do this! :) :) :)
And we're right here to help you all the way!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Back to Basics
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
After reading if you have questions come here and post we will help you along! I am Stephanie it is nice to meet u !;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
Hi Liz, did you know you can increase the text size of the PDF to any size you want?  ::) simply look up at your adobe menu line for the adjustment.

Calorie counting, fat counting and protein counting are unimportant so give your eyes a break and simply zero in on carbs, fiber and sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols will only be in pr4e packaged sweets, protein bars, and other "sweetened" products.

Check portion sizes then subtract fiber from carbs as well as Sugar Alcohols if present to determine your "NET CARB" count per serving. Stay below 20 net carbs per day. That's it!  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »
Just keep it simple Liz ;) 20 carbs. Find something else to obsess over like a new wardrobe or a new hobby. :)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »
Hi FTS'sters, thank you Doug, Umpa, Stepahnie, Mouse for responding to my original post ANDDDDD I apologize for not responding earlier, I lost track of this post.  Sometimes because i post at times like this when most people are asleep I then forget I posted....so, I'm going to stick to FTS plan....which is wonderful because with NET carbs I get to eat a little more.  I'll be posting my daily food here for a while to see if you can figure out what I'm doing right or wrong.

NOW I KNOWWWWW I have lost "something" because my work uniforms are looser, and the second I could wear my size 22 uniform pants and sit in them without having to hold my breat I put those puppies on.  This weekend I'm going to back up size 24 stuff and size 3X stuff and get rid of it so there is no going back to my fatter clothes.  So while I KNOWWWWW "something" is gone, the scale is really weird....

Now first of all I always get a "bump up" after I lose a pound or two.  But here are my weights for February....

2-4 279
2-5 279.5
2-8 282.5
2-15 280.5
2-20 277.5
2-28 279.5
3-1 277.5

so see how i'm down then bump up, down then bump up, etc.... is that NORMAL? 

Now I work nights -- afternoons from 3:30 p.m. until 2:00 a.m.   I sleep days....and so most of my eating on work days is what I take to work.  I have an ice chest I take with everything in it....Here's what I ate today:

3-1-13
checkbook size piece of fish filet with 1 tablespoon tarter sauce
one cup salad with 2 tablespoons thousand island
4 inch square piece of egg quiche, eggs, cheese, mushrooms, green chilis, with 2 tablespoons sour cream, and 1/4 cup salsa.
1 cup shrimp with 1 tablespoon seafood cocktail sauce

at that point it was about 10:00 and I was full, really full, so didn't eat anymore.  If I had eaten again it would have been broccoli. 

is it possible to post a link to my fitday page here?  would that be easier?  I'm not sure how that works....

again, thanks for your help....you are all so CONSISTENTLY gracious and knowledgeable, and helpful, that I feel comfortable asking for your help, and I'm going to cooperate in doing what you suggest....that means that I'm going to switch over to counting NET carbs, going to eat some berries, and going to try some recipes...

Also, I am going to start some exercise....I went last saturday, and it was on monday night I noticed, "hey, my knee isn't hurting."  I had worked out on the seated elliptical, and it actually HELPED my knee feel better.  I lost 80 pounds back in 1996 by working out in a gym with a trainer and ate very healthy, it wasn't low carb though, but low carb is the only WOE I'm convinced that will help me take this weight off....and it's not just the weight, I FEEL better. 

Okay, it's after 4:00 a.m. and I'm ramblinging........nite all....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »
Hi Liz, did you know there's an option at the bottom of your posts to notify you of replies? An email gets sent to :) This way your answers don't get lost.

You should be dropping more weight in a months time. 1.5 pounds lost tells me something is wrong. I looked at your food yesterday and I question the following items. I'd like you to check the jars and report back with the total carb count.

1 tablespoon tarter sauce
2 tablespoons thousand island
1/4 cup salsa
1 tablespoon seafood cocktail sauce

I'd like you to post your food and bev intake each day and don't leave anything out. This way we can locate the culprits  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
Condiments add up quickly ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
Hi, Elizabeth! :)

Carb creep can happen SO easily, it's ridiculous!
And I agree with Umpa... Condiments can be a problem and stop your progress, DEAD! :(
Reading labels on ALL prepackaged food is a MUST before we can expect any real progress.

Being a slow loser, when I get a little too much sugar (carb), I see it right away.
For example, I've seen what reduced carb Heinz Ketchup can do (1 gram per TBSP) if I'm not careful! :o

So, read all labels very carefully, measure accurately, and record EVERYTHING that passes your lips!
Take that, and post it on our Meal Plan board.
Here's a link to it; http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0
With that, we can help you make some adjustments.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
Hi.

Here's condiment report from bottle labels
Inglehoffer tarter sauce 2 Tablespoons 1 gm carb
Ken's thousand island 2 Tablespoons 4 gm carb
Cocktail sauce 1/4 cup 18 gm carbs but 1 gm fiber
Pace chunky salsa mild 2 tablespoons 3 carbs but 1gm fiber

So looking at this the cocktail sauce has to go and I need to measure with a tablespoon out these condiments to avoid carb creep.  Giving up cocktail sauce ......grrrrrr posting this then jumping from iPhone to laptop.

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
back....laptop is so much easier.....I see the cocktail sauce as #1 problem, and I only dipped my shrimp in.....now the shrimp was an experiment....

for most all my life I have this problem where sometimes my lower legs itch to the point I want to just pull the skin off...and about 5 years ago figured out I get itchy about 24 hours after eating shrimp....so didn't have shrimp for a long time, still had occasional itching though, then started flirting with shrimp again....and no itchy problems AT ALL for a long time....then started LC (now FTS) in January, and had a little shrimp with no problem........then increased shrimp consumption last couple weeks especially on Fridays (lent)......last Saturday night had major itchy legs.....so benadryl time again, and then was careful not to have any shrimp for the week and then had some last night WITH the cocktail sauce....so if I have itchy legs tonight....then shrimp AND cocktail sauce is OUT.....it might have to be out anyway because that cocktail sauce has a LOT of carbs.... :o...and I don't like shrimp without it   ::)

The rest of the codiments didn't look too bad carb wise....I get a lot of salad satisfaction over the Thousand Island and salsa....but definitely have to measure so I'm on the carb straight and narrow...

I also knew yesterday that the carbs I was having were not a problem in light I didn't have berries with me, etc....or is that wrong thinking again.

I think I probably have a lot of wrong thinking going on about carbs, and carb creep.....Dr. Eric Westman (Duke University head of bariatric program and a low carb (20 gm) explains it this way......"In America we drive on the right side of the road and the steering wheels in our cars are on the left side of the car....and learning to live LC (applies to FTS) is like learning to drive on the left side of the road with the steering wheel in your car on the right side of the car..."

From reading your replies to this posting and posts of others (Doug, Umpa, Mouse, Stephanie other moderators and BIGGEST winners) I am thinking I may be very carb sensitive and very insulin resistant after years of sugar and white flour abuse......

Oh my GOSH....can remember the CICO (calories in, calories out) days where I worked on making DIET Banana bread....or ate no fat hot dogs with WHITE BREAD HOTDOG BUNS :o

Dear Umpa....I DO have something to transfer obsession too.  I'm church pianist....started out in my dad's little church when I was 8 years old....then didn't play at church for a long time....then converted to another church in 2009....and after a while felt called to brush off my dusty talent....and learning this church music has been a HUGE learning curve...and I've had to stop hiding in the choir.....and overcome some self-consciousness about my weight....then recently was asked to start playing for second service because church is growing....so am organizing all the volumes and binders of music, and planning music now through end of May, and practicing new stuff (music is much more contemporary since last time I was a church pianist (almost 30 years ago)........so dear co-worker last night did tell me I'm obsessed with the music project....and you're right, it does help keep my mind off of food....

Plus odds are I'm looking at a lay-off soon and may be looking for a full time music ministry position in the church....and with each even 1/2 pound loss my shame lessens, and my confidence grows to be in front of others....in this church except for the large cathedrals the gal/guy at the piano is playing the instrument, leading the choir and the congregation in music, giving announcements.....

AND if that were not enough........I just FEEL BETTER on FTS....I've posted here occasionally and lurked often....I had gone back last year to calorie counting (spit on ground, doesn't work for me, never has and never will) but I committed to FTS last night in much the same way in 2009 I converted to a different church.....

FTS just makes sense, it keeps it simple, it cuts through all the LC do this, don't do that BS that is currently in books and on the internet....NOT that those people are not well-intentioned.....

When I first came her the assistance, encouragement, support was amazing....almost seemed TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!   ::)

But with time, and lurking in then my last couple posts.....there is nothing too good to be true about this website....I finally feel like I'm with those who know, those who have BEEN through it, and those who can guide my "weight out".  (pun intended) 

Thank you for your time......and.........VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION....doug and umpa....HOW the heck do you pronounce your last name????  I try to say it to people when I'm telling them about FTS, and always am not sure how to say it...

Okay, now I'm off to establish my Elizabeth779 Menu where you directed me, and thanks thanks again for all your kind help.

Blessings, Elizabeth

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
gosh that was long and rambly, sorry, i'll try to be more precise........and I obviously need more sleep.

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
Hi, Elizabeth   :)  If you really like the Thousand Island dressing....try this recipe http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=3945.0  It's pretty good and will have only about 1 carb per 2 tablespoons.   

Also if you do decide you want to continue with the shrimp and you buy the Heinz Reduced Sugar Tomato Ketchup (I find mine at Walmart) mix about a cup with 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (not the creamy spread kind the actual chopped stuff), 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and a bit of hot sauce to taste.  This will be about 1 carb per 1 tablespoon or 4 carbs for 1/4 cup  ;)

For the same serving amounts for these two items you have listed you will have saved 16 net carbs by making your own  ;D

You are right.....be sure you are measuring everything.  Even someone that has been doing this a while will tell you....carb creep will sneak up on you fast.  Hang in there....we are here in this together  :)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
Thanks TwoSweet for the recipes....they both sound easy and good AND save carbs!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »
Hi Liz, now you see why your weight loss has been slow. Remember I want to to stay under 20 net carbs per day in total for everything that goes into your mouth. What goes in your ear doesn't count  ;D ;D ;D

Isn't it amazing how much sugar you ingested from the condiments!

8.5 net grams from the cocktail sauce
4 net grams from the salsa
4 net grams from the thousand island
1 net gram from the tarter

17.5 net grams of carbs from your total allotment of 20 per day.....all for a bit of sauce  :o :o

Armed with this new profound eye opener I'll bet you'll be more strict with your label reading  ;)