Author Topic: help  (Read 4601 times)

pollyp

• View Profile
help
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
I just read the book and am very excited and will go shopping this weekend but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on menu planning. Here is my problem:

I work 2 full time jobs. My day starts at 4:30am and ends at 10pm with one 30 minute break for 4 days out the week. The other 3 are pretty normal. On those 4 days, given the time cruch, what kind of menu would you create?

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »
Pollyp,  you came to the right place and welcome to our group /family.  I surely will tell you we have people here that will greet you after me and would be more than delighted to guide you through your meals for your schedule so be ready for it lol
Also thank you for choosing FTS as your lifestyle. You will see changes in your life and will not regret it when your health and weight changes for the better. 
Sincerely,
Jezreel:)

shawn116

Re: help
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum pollyp  :) 

If you take some time to look around the forum you will find tons of wonderful recipes. 

My best suggestion is to be prepared for those busy days....well really even the not so busy days.  The truth is we all have old habits and the worst time for us is when we are caught unprepared and hungry.  Be sure to make up some snack trays to keep in the fridge....easy grab and go items like meats and cheeses, hard boiled eggs.  I always make extra of anything and package that up for easy to grab meals when I don't have time or even feeling a little lazy.  I have my own frozen meals that way and after a while I have a collection of different ones to choose from.  My hubs works nights at times and on those days I find myself not wanting to cook for just myself.....those meals are perfect for me to grab.  When I have the grill hot I throw on extra items.....saves energy and you have wonderfully cooked meats for quick meals, salads, snacks...etc...   Also making up big batches of chicken, tuna, egg salads are a great help too.  I guess the main theme here is to plan ahead.  If you know what you are eating and when....it takes away having to think about it all the time.  It's incredibly freeing to not be consumed with the thought of food all the time  ;)

Please come in often and join in the conversations.... the forum is a great tool to keep you on track plus you get to hang out with some pretty great people  ;)   If we can help in any way please ask  :)

pollyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
Thank you so much.  I will take all the advice I can get. Like a lot of people I have done so many different things and now my blood sugar is going up. It will be awhile before my schedule slows down so I have to make it work. Cooking ahead sounds like a good thing. Also, does it matter what you eat and when, for example, can you eat breakfast things at night?

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
No....it's all up to you when and what you eat.  Just be sure to follow the FTS rules and stay under the 20 net carbs.  I have breakfast for dinner all the time  ;D  I have also been known to have leftovers or a good salad for my first meal of the day.  I find if I mix it up I don't get tired of the same things  ;)   Actually being busy may work in your favor as long as you stay prepared.....if you know what I mean  :D  When I'm bored I sometimes think I'm hungry when I really just want something to do  Haha  Also be sure to drink lots of freash cold water to help you through detox and also when you are out of it.  It helps a great deal.  We are here to help you along...hang in there  ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Welcome to the family Polly :) Eating FTS is simple. It's never complicated, just stick to the food groups, prepare ahead and follow the rules, you'll do GREAT!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, pollyp!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

A number of us here (like me) use weekends to cook up large batches, and serve it through the week.
For you, it would be a day(s) when you don't put in as many hours at work.

Just make 2, 3 or more meals worth at a time, and freeze the rest.
That way, you not only have quick meals at home, at work too, if they have a microwave.

Also, use those days to take veggies and chop, slice, or whatever.
Then place, them in Ziploc bags (one type veggie per bag).

Once you establish your favorite dishes, you can plan ahead and enjoy them throughout the week, at any time of day! 8)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

pollyp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
Thanks to everyone. As soon as I get off work on Saturday, I go grocery shopping and then Sunday will be my "prepare" day. I am so ready to feel good about myself again!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
Welcome pollyp  :D

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »
Hi Pollyp, welcome to FTS.  I'm pretty new also, but you've been given great advice above.  I work a job, and have a volunteer music job and church, and teach piano, work weird hours at the paying job (afternoon to wee hours) so sleep days, etc....One thing that helps me a lot is I got a good size ice chest (not large enough to need wheels, but not a tiny one either)....in there goes my foods I take with me from the baggies of veggies like Mouse said, or the frozen meals and make ahead meals TooSweet talked about....in the chest I put in a frozen water bottle or two to keep things cold...and take my food for me for the whole day...and that works for me....I put in a couple of plastic grocery bags so if I get somewhere I for a while I take my food and put it in the bag and stick that in the refrig (at the office for instance).  In the chest I put any dish, utensils, etc., that I need, also, so it's all there....even a little salt container in case I eat boiled egg, etc...

also, I do best when I keep things simple, and oh, I learned....watch out for condiments...those carbs in the regular katsup, tartar sauce, etc...can really sneak up.....

best wishes to you on y our FTS journey....

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
Welcome PollyP!  :) I am Umpa , Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. You can do this and we are going to help you. :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »
Welcome!!!
 I agree that a freezer is best for you. With all the volunteer work I used to do, I would freeze leftovers in portions, bag veggies in portions too, then grab & go.