Author Topic: RICE MALT SYRUP  (Read 8204 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
RICE MALT SYRUP
« on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
Was browsing through a magazine and came across a nutritionist who was advocating no sugar/more fat way of eating, so it caught my eye.  She had two recipes - Almond butter bark and sugar-free nut-ella.  They both used rice malt syrup.  The 'rice' part rang some alarm bells so when I got home I tried to find some info. I'm not quite clear on it and thought I would ask if anyone has heard of it.  From what I understand it has the same carbs tspn for tspn as sugar, but supposedly does not react like sugar - or did I get that wrong.  Was wondering what can be used as a substitute for it in the recipes (they say it milder than honey or maple syrup) because both recipes sound great.

Why do these nutritionists (chefs, etc) pick obscure products anyway?  Wouldn't even know where I could get some.

TooSweet

Re: RICE MALT SYRUP
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
I would think you could use any sweetener you want in those recipes Morgan.   I'm not familiar with that kind though.  I would love for you to post those though.  :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
This "nutritionist" is an idiot. Like many nutritionist's they never look under the hood, only at what seems to be the obvious. Yes using Rice Malt Syrup in a recipe will make it sugar free. Why? Because sugar isn't used BUT Rice Malt Syrup actually has a higher glycemic index than sugar.  Idiot!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 01:22:13 AM »
Ahh, another mystery sweetener demystified! Thank you, Doug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
Sweeteners are big business and they come out with new ones everyday claiming this and that. Keep it simple, if you like Stevia, use Stevia, Xylitol, use Xylitol, FTS Zero, use FTS Zero.... in the end all sweeteners do is sweeten things :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
It seems as this product is the favourite of the month.  Having never heard of it to now seeing it in lots places. One in particular being a low carb recipe forum.  Surprised me.  I wonder how many people take it at face value.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
I would think you could use any sweetener you want in those recipes Morgan.   I'm not familiar with that kind though.  I would love for you to post those though.  :)

Here are the recipes TooSweet - was going to post in "sweets" but because haven't made them and done the substitutes, thought would just let you know what they were.  You may make them before me, if so let me know how they turn out.  These are as printed (no subs) -

Almond Butter Bark

1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup almond spread, slightly warmed or melted
2 tablespoons coconut flakes
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
pinch of rock salt, ground
handful cacao nibs or dark chocolate (85% cacao) shavings

Line a baking tray with baking paper.  Combine the oil, almond spread, coconut flakes and syrup in a bowl.  Spread on the tray and sprinkle with salt a cacao nibs.  Freeze for about 20 mins, then snap into shards.  Store in an airtight container in fridge ( they will melt if left out in room temp).

Sugar-free Nut-ella

1 cup hazelnuts
125 ml coconut milk
80 ml rice malt syrup
1 tablespoon macadamia oil or coconut oil
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1 tablespoon vanilla powder

Preheat oven to 180oC.  Bake hazelnuts on a tray for 8-10 mins until browned.  Rub off most of the skins.  Grind nuts in processor til smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and process til well mixed.  Add extra coconut milk if you want more of a 'sauce' consistency.  Store in fridge for several weeks.

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:26 PM »
Thanks Morgan  :)  I can tell you that I have actually made the Almond Butter Bark.  It's quite good.  Of course I didn't use the rice malt syrup.  Zero works great in this  ;)  Really any sweetener you like works.  I also have a Sugar-free Nut-ella recipe much like this one....I haven't tried that one though  Thanks for sharing ! 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
Gotta try these Morgan ;) I have bag of hazelnuts I need to use.

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: RICE MALT SYRUP
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
I love how Doug bust all this charades of businesses trying to deceive and mislead people alol:D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
I call him the Sugar Nazi :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
I call him the Sugar Nazi :D :D

Yep!... He's our official "Sugar Gestapo". ;)
If there's sugar in it, he'll expose it!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!