Author Topic: Rosie's pie crust  (Read 3029 times)

KFAITH

• View Profile
Rosie's pie crust
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
Rainy old day in our neck of the woods so went in kitchen and tried to make an old family favorite pie crust recipe into a low carb one.  When it first came out of oven it seemed to crumble, but after I put the filling in it and it chilled for an hour and when we cut it all was well, cut great like any pie, family was thrilled with it.  I have no clue  how to tell you how many carbs in one slice, but I used the low carb products:
1-1/2 c. almond flour
1tsp. salt
1 packet of stevia
1/2 c. oil I used canola
2T. unsweet coconut milk
preheat oven to 425 degrees.   Put all dry ingredients into pie plate.  Pour oil and milk over dry ingredients, mix with fork, at first it will seem runny but keeping mixing till it thickens, than you can use the back of a spoon to smooth it in pie plate and up the sides of pie plate, than fingers work well for doing this neatly. bake for about 12 to 15 min, keep an eye on it. 
After it cooled I took
sf chocolate puddin, unsweet coconut milk, redi whip , mix it up and put into cooled shell, put in frig to chill. Family love it. My daughter just taught me how to reduce the size of pictures so I think this will work now.
With God all things are possible
Rosie

shawn116

Re: Rosie's pie crust
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
That looks awesome!!  Seems very easy to  ;)    Who doesn't love pie...LOL ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:54 AM »
Lets do an exercise KFAITH...look at all the labels and figure out the net carb count for the entire pie  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »
I use golden flaxseed for my tart/pie shells its zero carbs ;) I don't know what brands you are  using,so you will have to look at the labels. :) :)

KFAITH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
Lets do an exercise KFAITH...look at all the labels and figure out the net carb count for the entire pie  ;)

Dough, I got up with that 'feeling fat' feeling today so probably the pie was a bad ideal, or only to be used for very special holidays and only an 8th slice.
I used Bobs Red Almond Mill it has 4 carbs per 1/4  cup.
I used unsweet coconut milk 1 carb per cup
Reddi Wip 2 carbs per 2T.
The sf choc pudding, without milk is 6 carbs per 1/4 of package, I used the entire package made it with the coconut mile. So 24  carbs for entire box and if ya  devided it  by 8th. than one slice of just the filling  would be 3 carbs.  I used like 1 1/2 cup of coconut milk to make it.
Now I will leave it to someone else to figure what one 8th total would be. 
I do not think I will be making it again till I reach my goal, as I can think of better ways to use my carbs for the day. Hubby is the sweet craving person in our family so it was a good treat for him.
Rosie

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
28 + 24 pudding= 52 carbs for entire pie i thought Bobs red mill was 8 per cup? I use the Now unblanched almond flour which is 4 per cup ;) I am working on Jo's banana pudding i will notify you when I get it done stay away from the box puddings Rosie,or feed them to hubby till they are gone. :)

KFAITH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »
OH YIKESSSSSSS YEP MY BAG OF FLOUR SAYS 4 CARBS PER 1/4 C.... SO YEP I MESSED UP BAD...SORRY: :'(  THANKS Umpa keep me straight.... ;D
I was thinking 4 carbs per cup.  I am really  'bad' with figuring up what is in recipes.
Rosie

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
Yes I always either grind my own or use the now brand almond meal to.  I was thinking this would be wonderful with a lemon meringue pie.  Sugar free of course....LOL  I hate that the sf puddings are so high  :'(  I just gave away some that I had in the fridge for my pre FTS days....  :P  Making your own is much better for sure. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
I did lemon meringue and coconut cream in The Bakery Book.I am working on Jo's Banana pudding now ;)