Author Topic: OKRA Question  (Read 2560 times)

joagain

OKRA Question
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
If I want to fry some frozen okra with parm/flax mix shouldnt I do it from the frozen state ?

Last time I thawed out okra it was slimey so when you dip in milk and batter it just clumped up .  Thanks guys

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: OKRA Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:06:41 AM »
I would buy fresh if available, much better texture, flavor and fries up great. If I couldn't get fresh I think I would start from the frozen state. BE CAREFUL though the water content will be higher and grease spattering will occur, don't burn yourself  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

joagain

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »
Thanks Doug

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
I love deep fried okra! Doug did broccoli deep fried when he made fish and it was great! :)

joagain

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
Really did he pit a coating just like okra on it ?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
I use an egg wash first, then coat in ground pork rinds.....then into the hot grease :) The broccoli was to die for!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

joagain

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
Well I just ate my fried chicken with SF honey mustard ,fried okra and it was very good !!!!  I am going to try that broccoli for sure

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
Hey Jo!! How did you fry the okra!?! A friend gave us a huge box of fresh okra today, my favorite vegetable! I thought I'd crush pork rinds and pan fry it like I always did (by I used to use corn meal to coat) anyway, the crushed pork rinds didn't stick and it was pretty much a slimy mess! It still tasted good to those in the family that really love okra! lol  Help!!!!

Thanks for your help and advice!!!  :D

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
Hey, Brenda. When Chas gave me some okra last week, I roasted it in the oven and it was good!

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
Roasted huh?   ::)  I will have to try it that way too.. I love Okra and I am shocked to see that many do... Im a solo flyer in my house for most veggies...

I love veggies.. I am going to try the squash fries this weekend... yummy
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:56:13 PM »
Thanks Owensmath! I saw your link for the roasted okra, but was really craving it fried like Mom used to make!!  ::)   So I google searched, low carb fried okra, and found a great recipe!! It's soooo easy and was absolutely delicious, Charlie even liked and ate it and he doesn't like okra!!! All you do is wash and slice, coat briefly in beaten egg, then toss in parmesan cheese. Fry in the oil of your choice till golden brown!!! Oh my goodness...I could really over-eat on this one!!! hahahahaha  Yummy!!!   :o

joagain

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Hey MOmmaB I used parm & flax mill when I fried it ,not pork skins . It was a mushy mess too still good ,but I tried the fresh the next time I made it and used just parm and it was very good !!!! If I fine something that I kie that much I dont make it often because I eat too much LOL