Author Topic: Truvia  (Read 5746 times)

Chanmom

• View Profile
    • Email
Truvia
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
Is Truvia a FTS appoved sugar substitute?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Truvia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
Hi Chanmom, welcome to the family! 

Yes it is, neither Erythritol nor Rebiana has any effect on your blood sugar making this sweetener FTS friendly BUT you may want to read below :) I prefer FAT TO SKINNY ZERO over any other sweetener. Look to the right ---------------------------------->>>>>>

Here's what former food exec turned food advocate Bruce Bradley has to say;

First things first, is Truvia made from a leaf?  Well the answer is kinda, sorta.  Truvia has three ingredients:  erythritol, rebiana, and natural flavors.  Rebiana is made from the stevia leaf by soaking it in water.  Although Cargill whitewashes the process as similar to making tea, the truth is revealed in Coca-Cola’s patent where it outlines a 40+ step process that includes the use of acetone, methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile, and isopropanol.  I don’t know about you, but when I make a cup of tea, I’ve never used any of those ingredients.

The second fallacy of Truvia’s “guilt-free” naturalness is it’s main ingredient, erythritol.  Now while erythritol is a naturally-occurring sweetener found in many fruits, in nature it is present in such small amounts (less than .005% by weight) it’s impractical to use natural sources.  So Cargill manufacturers Truvia’s erythritol by chemically converting genetically modified corn into a food grade starch which it ferments to create glucose and then processes further to create erythritol.  Ah, the gentle hand of Mother Nature.  Sorry for the sarcasm, but really Cargill?  All Natural?  Truvia sounds more like a GMO lab experiment than a sweetener straight from nature.

Finally,  Cargill uses “natural flavors” to round out the taste of Truvia.  On Truvia’s website it says “… Natural flavors are used to bring out the best of our natural sweetness, like pepper or salt would be used to heighten the taste of a meal.”  The processed food industry’s dirty little secret about “natural flavors” is unlike regular table salt or pepper you and I use, food companies manufacture many “natural flavors” since the only legal requirement is that they are chemically equivalent to a natural flavor.  So get back out the test tubes, beakers, and distilling equipment.  Mother Nature’s not needed here either.

So when it’s all said and done, is Truvia really “Honestly Sweet”?  I don’t think so.  While it may pass the FDA’s sniff test, as we’ve seen in my series “All Natural … Really?” that really isn’t so hard to do.
- See more at: http://www.brucebradley.com/food/truvia-honestly-sweet-or-dishonestly-marketed/#sthash.xLAHvkRb.dpuf
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:13:26 AM »
Welcome Chanmom! :)I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask Umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Chanmom!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask!
That's why we're here... to support each other! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Chanmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Doug, I would like to make your yummy chocolate cake, but I don't have FTS sweetner.  What would be the equivalent in Truvia packets?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
Hi Chanmom, each drop of zero is equal to 1 teaspoon of sugar sweetness, the recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon which is 36 drops, that's equal to 3/4 cup sugar sweetness. 6 packets of Truvia equal 1/4 cup sugar sweetness so you'd need 18 pacs :)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)