Author Topic: Family FTS! Bringing the kiddo into the mix need ideas  (Read 3069 times)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Family FTS! Bringing the kiddo into the mix need ideas
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
I am so excited about this! Tomorrow I start the ENTIRE family on FTS. They obviously have been going through it with me these last two years and have watched me loving the maintaining FTS life now. So my son, who I have been trying to get fully on board since day one, has finally decided he wants to give it a whirl. So as I tell everyone, "give me 30 days of your life on FTS and if you hate it after that you can quit." We all know that after 30 days you are so hooked and feel so good, you're never going to quit. So tomorrow morning they join my routine but here is my problem, I need some ideas on what to feed kids (13) on FTS. Do you have any quick and easy recipes that are FTS friendly that your kids love. Remember, I am not the cook in the family. Dan will be doing dinner as usual. I just have to come up with breakfast and lunch. Breakfast isn't such an issue, lots to work with there...lunch now that's another story. I usually have lunchmeat roll ups or a jello. I'm not a big lunch eater but my kiddo will be. He's a big kid (6'5" at 13) and eats ALOT so I need to keep him full and happy. Anyway, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Valentines Day!!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Family FTS! Bringing the kiddo into the mix need ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
Have hubby keep foods in the fridge he can grab like snack trays ,meatballs and dips.Teenagers graze they don't eat at regular times. At 13 have hubby start teaching him to cook with him so he understands what he is eating.He can cook in the microwave  to make pizzas and OMM.Please ask if I can help you sherripie this is so cool.  8)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
I'm worried because I don't want to get him bored with what he eats. I am all about easy and with a 13 year old he is going to want different things each day. I'm going to keep some roll ups made and snacks for him. Just need some ideas for lunch varieties. I am so excited he's going to do it with me!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
This is way cool, Sherri! I like to keep a pot of thick stew in the fridge for a quick eat. Macafoney and Cheese, hamburger on an OMM bun with turnip fries - kids love fries, grilled ham and cheese, porkskin fried chicken, almond milk smoothie, hobo burger (the original is a seasoned burger, carrots and slices of potato wrapped tightly in foil and baked at least 2 hrs - you would have to sub out the carrots and potatoes, with maybe cabbage and turnip slices), tuna buns. If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »
Sherri, your son will do great!  I mean...He lives with a champion!!!  ;D   
I bet he would like the Philly cheese steak!  It's kind of a "manly" low carb meal.  I just saute sliced bell peppers and a few onion slices then once they are about done I add some chopped up deli roast beef to the pan.   When it's all good and hot I put it on a low carb wrap or pita and top it with cheese.  You can use any kind you like.  Provolone, mozzarella, etc.    ;)    Oh, and you can keep some deviled eggs in the fridge too.  That's always a handy snack.   

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
I grew up with 3 brothers and my mom used to fill them up with pancakes. 

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »
I love the cans of chicken vienna sausage and potted meat.  They are great for a quick snack with sides of chunked cheeses and deviled eggs.  I also love my 1 carb beef hot dogs, topped with a 1/2 cup cooked hamburger seasoned with chili powder and shredded cheese (chili cheese dogs!); some days I add SF ketchup, mustard and SF relish for a bonus.  Don't forget the FTS pizza, make it ahead (kids usually like cold pizza  :D).  Too cool.  Have fun.  I'm sure after awhile he will have his favs and let you know what to keep that's easy peasy for him too.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm soooo happy for you and your son, SherriPie! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
He's gonna do great!

Like Umpa said, teens (notably boys) usually graze throughout the day.
As a youth, I remember doing this. And my sons did this too!
My daughter, not as much.

By keeping simple "grab and go" things around will be helpful like Frigo string cheese sticks, pepperoni sticks, hard boiled eggs, sliced lunch meats and cheeses, leaf lettuce, walnuts, pecans, and almonds.
I would suggest having the nuts in pre-measured ziplock baggies to prevent "carb creep".

Keep us posted on how he's doing!
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
That is way cool!!!   8)  I'm thinking back to when my kiddos were home and what they liked to eat.   ::)  Especially my son.  Pizza pizza pizza...LOL  I would be sure to keep plenty of those pitas around.  You could grill him some hot pockets with them.  Maybe ask the hubs to cook extra that you can put in the freezer.  I like to double my recipes and freeze half.  That way I always have something quick and easy to have in a pinch.  If you put it in individual servings....easy peasy lunch.  Grilled hamburgers and chicken freeze great and warm nicely.  He might also like the corn dog:
1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp dehydrated chives
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs parmesan cheese
1 Tbs heavy cream
1 egg

Mix all together well.
Spray top half of butter dish with cooking spray.  Put half of mixture in dish.  Place hot dog on top.  I cut a cheddar cheese stick in half and put it in with the hot dog. (I only used half and ate the other half while it was cooking)     Put the rest of the mixture on top of hot dog.  Cook in micro wave for 1 1/2 minutes.  ( be careful my dish was very hot because it was glass LOL)  You will find that posted here: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2899.0  A little chili on top and a my goodness  ;D  all done in the micro in a few minutes  ;)
There is always this one too: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=3086.0

If I can think of any others I'll pass them along.  He is going to do so great!!  Please tell them both we are cheering for them  ;) ;)  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:11:26 PM by TooSweet »

owensmath

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
Hot dog chilli is very low in carbs. You chop up a hot dog, add a little hotdog chilli, a few pieces of chopped onion, shredded cheese, ketchup and mustard. If you put it in a low carb wrap, it is an awesome substitute for a bean burrito!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:39:17 AM »
Just thought about tacos.  Joagain's taco seasoning is a great addition to my recipe list.  I keep a batch of taco meat frozen in the freezer.  I take half of a pita (cut on a circle instead of in half) sprayed with cooking spray and put it over a rameken under low broil to make it crispy.  Lavish bread works here too.  Fill it up with the taco meat and all the fixins.  Yummm.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
Sherripie he is home schooled right? :)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
Oh my gosh you guys are FULL of amazing ideas. Love the chilli dog idea, cheese steak and everything in between. I let both my guys have their fun yesterday and then got up early this morning and cleared out the entire house. I didn't realize we had so much junk in the pantry and fridge. Two HUGE bags are now in the trash. My husband looked so dejected as I threw out his chips and sauces. I went to the store yesterday and stocked up on all things FTS that a teenager would like. I also bought several different types of low carb breads from flat-outs to tortillas. Danny was thrilled that he still gets to eat tortillas. He is not a fan of my pitas and thought that was all he could eat. We started the day off today with a breakfast skillet with eggs, cheese and bacon. He loved it and is looking forward to lunch. I think he is going to have a much easier time of this than his Dad. :)

And Umpa he is homeschooled, well it's called Virtual School here. It's considered public school so he still will get a regular high school diploma but it's done at home. He has teachers for each subject and interacts with them over the internet. It's an amazing program and is working so well for him. I highly recommend it but you definitely need to be around to help. Even though he has teachers the algebra and such is tough and you need a teacher type at home to explain things. It really is amazing how he has flourished this year. He even got straight A's for the first time ever and made the Honor Roll. :) I love that kiddo!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
Hi SherriPie! :)

Danny is a straight 'A' student?... That is UBER COOL!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'll bet your really proud of that fine young man!

It's nice to hear that he's excited about what he'll get to eat in future FTS-friendly meals.
Enjoying food without worrying about weight gain is so wonderful! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
It will make it easier to control his diet.Make meals a educational experience so he understand why he can gain weight . Like a science class ;)