Author Topic: Almond flour  (Read 2025 times)

jess

• Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to :>
    • View Profile
    • Email
Almond flour
« on: November 20, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
Is there a big nutritional difference between bleached and unbleached almond flour?  I couldn't find unbleached at wal mart. ( I also couldn't find xanthm gum...sigh)
Thanks!
Let go and let God

shawn116

Re: Almond flour
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
Hi Jess    Are you asking about bleached or blanched??  Bleached I'm not sure about but I believe the blanched is a higher count because they take the skins off.  The skins provide a bit of fiber that we can subtract off the total carb count  ;D ;D

The xanthan gum I found at my regular grocery store  ;)  Or here is one of the many places you can order it from  http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/advanced_search.cgi     :)

jess

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Haaaaaahahaha!! Yes, BLANCHED is what the label says!!  Hahaha, I totally misread that one. Good grief!  Thanks for explaining the difference! I've found blanched most places, but am going to Whole Foods on Tuesday.  They should have it and the xanthm....and the xylitol.... :D
Let go and let God

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »
i like unblanched Now brand almond flour because it is only 4 carbs a cup.Most health food stores carry NOW brand vitamins so if they don't have it they can get it for you .Bobs red mill blanched is 8 a cup which is still low and I buy that if i can't find the now.The NOW brand xylitol is excellent.With xatham gum alittle goes along way so buy the smallest box you can get.Xylitol too is very strong so use it lightly until you get the hang of it.

jess

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
Ok will do.  Thank you for the tips!  Feel free to pass along any and all advice/suggestions...I am an empty filing cabinet/thirsty sponge ready to be filled.  ;D
Let go and let God

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
You ask me anything you like Jess,all questions are good questions. ;)