Author Topic: Need help  (Read 1739 times)

Skinnysoon

• View Profile
Need help
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
Ok, so I started 3 weeks ago, dropped 10 lbs in about 10 days, regained about 3 and haven't dropped any since. I'm a 46 yr old male, 5'8" and my starting weight was 235.

I read the book and have been very strict. I track my food with the my fitness pal app and have been keeping the net carbs under 20 and sugars (mostly from berries) under 10 a day.
Here's a sample of a days, menu.

Breakfast: 2 eggs with turkey bacon or turkey sausage and half cup rasp or blueberries--4 carbs, 3 sugars.
Snack: 2 oz Lunchmeat (0 carb-2 carb per 2 oz), 0 carb cheese rolled with dill pickle spears--3-4 carbs max, 0 sugars.
Lunch: 6 oz rotisserie chicken salad made with 2 tbs olive oil mayo, romaine leaves.--0 carbs
Snack: 1 oz walnuts or almonds-- 2 carbs
Dinner: 8-10 oz protein (steak, chicken, shrimp, ground beef), 2 cup salad of spinach, romaine, tomato, cuke, 2 tbs blue cheese or 1 carb dressing or 1 cup broccoli/cauliflower mix in place of salad. 6ish carbs, 3 sugars
Snack: sugar free jello

I tend to eat the same thing frequently, there were some variations but like I said I have been keeping near 20 carbs and 10 natural sugars.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that I may really be eating too many calories from fatty steak, bacon or higher fat lunchmeats.?

I'm getting discouraged.

Any thoughts and/or advise?

shawn116

Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
Hi Skinnysoon  Welcome to the forum family  :)  I love the name by the way. 

The first thing that sticks out to me are the berries.  You mentioned blueberries...they are way higher in carbs than the raspberries. For fruit...Doug recommends that we use Strawberries 3.5 net carb, Blackberries 5.5 net carb, Raspberries 3 net carb and Avocado (small) 2 net carb.  Here is a link to find the carb counts  http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/  Using this site you will see that 1/2 cup of blueberries = just under 9 net carbs   :o

I'm confused about something though...why are you keeping track of your sugars?  The only thing you need to keep count of is the net carbs that you are taking in.  That is Total carbohydrates - fiber - sugar alcohol = net carbohydrates.   The amount of sugars are already calculated in that mix.  Your body doesn't care if it is natural sugars or man made...it will process it just the same....it's just that some are faster than others.   ;) 

The fat will not make you fat...it will sustain you and keep you full.  If you feel you are eating too much, watch your portion sizes.  Try Dougs 15 minute rule....make your average size plate, cut it in half and eat that.  Wait 15 minutes and see if you are still hungry.  If so...eat some more.  More times than not you will find that you are satisfied and have a bonus of lunch saved for the next day   ;D ;D  It is totally normal to hit a plateau though.  I think our bodies just take a little time to adjust to the new size.  Have you taken your measurements?  Sometimes those are changing even though the scale isn't moving.  Also are you eating because you are hungry or just because the clock says it's time to eat?  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what you have listed (aside from the blueberries)  Just ask yourself if you are truly hungry first.  Some days I am just ravenous but most days I don't eat more than maybe two meals and a snack or two.  Just something to think about.  By the way on those days that I am ravenous....I usually up my protein and fat intake and it squelches it fast  :)

Lastly you haven't mentioned what you are drinking.  Is it all water?  Diet drinks?  Sweeteners will stall some folks even if they are FTS approved  ;)

If you can list your menus for a couple of days of everything you take in (even drinks) we might be able to see what is possibly slipping you up.  More times than not...it's something simple like sweeteners or sauces.  Things we all tend to overlook  ;D

I hope this helps.     

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Skinnysoon!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

TwoSweet is right about those blueberries... They can spike blood glucose! :o
We must be sure to check carb content BEFORE we eat (at look out for condiments, too).

Also, be sure that you are not eating more than your body needs.

Our bodies have a built in metabolic mechanism that allows us to eat low carb and have all the energy we need. It's called glucogenesis. That allows our bodies to generate needed blood glucose from protein and fat sources.

If we eat too much, we will generate too much glucose which will result in slowing progress or even weight gain! :o

Portion control combined with carb restriction is the key!
Use Doug's 15-Minute Rule to help you find portion sizes that are right for you;
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=f309bba0aa5effe631e02e0e8f608683&topic=5286.msg55552#msg55552

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
Welcome skinnysoon! I am umpa, dougs wife.If I can help you please ask.I am also confused about the sugar count.Keep it simple just stay at 20 carbs per day or under.No calorie counts or anything else. ;)