Author Topic: No time to cook.  (Read 2965 times)

wicket

• View Profile
    • Email
No time to cook.
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have tried low carb so many times but due to my schedule, I work 12 hr. days and have no time to cook, I always get derailed.  Can anyone help me with this problem.  I know this is the answer.  Also, I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners and a lot of these recipes use them.

Thanks so much.

Wicket

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: No time to cook.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Wicket!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

For folks who work long hours, the best approach is to cook a week (or more)
worth of meals on their days off, and freeze them in serving sizes.

There are also many foods out there that don't require much cooking time.
My favorite is fish. It usually cooks in a few minutes.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

wicket

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
Trouble with frozen rewarmed meals is that they taste terrible, the meat is dry, especially chicken and veggies reheated, yuck.  I know there is a way to do this but batch cooking is an art and I need some help with doing it.  I know that it is good to do.  I just don't know how to make things ahead of time that are tasty after being frozen and reheated.  That's a lot of the problem.  The taste of reheated foods makes batch cooking hard to stick to.  Also, time is at a premium on weekends.  So much planning, shopping, cooking etc. I have to live life and have so many other things that get pushed to the week-ends that all the planning, prep, shopping then cooking seems daunting!  Thanks for your reponse.

Wicket

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum Wicket :) I am Umpa ,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. I work 3 jobs and my saving grace is I keep snack trays in the fridge(recipes in the book) and when I cook I make enough for the next day. Most of my recipes are 30 minutes or less.I like fresh food,nothing prepackaged , We grill alot.I also like a dinner of olives ,italian coldcuts ,cheese,veggies, and artichoke hearts with a little bread.

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
Hi Wicket welcome to the forum  :)  I too prefer to cook fresh and choose mostly fast meals like stir frys but always keep a good stock of frozen veggies that cook very quickly.  I love love my food saver.  I can seal any meal I have extra and it warms up just like I just made it.  I make little home made TV dinners for myself for when my hubs is working nights or I'm too busy to cook.  Great time saver.  No preparation for that just putting away left overs for another day.  If I'm grilling I always grill extra.  If you leave your hamburgers just under done and seal....when warmed it just as if you grilled them   ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
Hi, Shawn! :)

Haven't seen you around for a while.
I hope all is well with you and yours.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »
Busy with grandbabies TooSweet? :)

Shoelace

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:28 AM »
If I was short of time for cooking, I would look for some crock pot recipes where you can just throw the food in and it's ready when you get home. 

Also, you can cook things a whole lot faster in a pressure cooker than on a range or in the oven.  If you have never used a pressure cooker, you could look up some recipes online to see how long it takes to cook certain foods.  That way you will know whether or not it would be something that would work for you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
great idea shoelace  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
Hi Wicket, welcome to the party. This is a quick and easy answer..... delivery. Yes it will be a bit more expensive however you seem to be a person who wants to enjoy every bite :) All around you are establishments who will cook your food to your specifications and deliver it to you. I would visit the restaurants close by your work, pick what you want off the menus and speak to the manager about what needs to come off the plate (starches, sugars, grains etc...)

Chinese stir fry without cornstarch sauce, grilled meats and veggies from the Outback or similar establishment, deli platters from the grocery store etc.... The choices are everywhere.  
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
Thanks Tony and Umpa   ;D  Everything has been great....just a busy time.  I try and pop in often....things should slow down soon enough.  Probably just in time for the new grand baby to get here in June  Haha   ;D ;D   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
Congrats!!!My new grandbaby is 6 months old :)