Author Topic: New to FTS with concerns about Calories  (Read 3155 times)

Southern Belle

• Making changes! All day every day!!! ::)
    • View Profile
New to FTS with concerns about Calories
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this site... I have read the book and although I'm not ready to commit to 20 net carbs a day, I have committed to 50! Baby steps  ::) After being diagnosed with insulin resistance in June, my nutritionist put me on an 1800 calorie a day plan not to exceed 225g of carbohydrates a day. I lost 15 pounds in the first month and then stalled out. I never reached 1800 calories or the carb allotment either, i physically could not consume that many calories even with eating 5-6 times a day.

If I remember correctly, the book says not to focus on calories but net carbs. In reading some of the posts, it doesn't look like enough calories are being consumed though throughout the day...general consensus is not less than 1200 calories a day. My nutritionist is concerned that I'm consuming less than 1400 calories a day. She says that my body will consume the muscle first not the fat. Needless to say I make sure I pack in plenty of protein each day.

Whew, my mind is reeling but trying to keep this short! I'm a numbers person, so it's helpful for me to have a daily calorie goal. I track everyday the amount of calories, total fat, sat fat, cholesterol, total carbs, fiber, sugar, protein, and starting tomorrow net carbs. I submit my tracker to my nutritionist each month for her to review. If I started submitting my tracker with less than 1200 calories consistently, she would probably bring me in for consultation...again!  :D

Any assistance, advice, strategies you want to share is greatly appreciated. I already try to keep it simple, because I'm not much of a cook.

Example breakfast is: Egg White Omelet
3 egg whites
Basil
Italian herbs
Pepper to taste
Fat free shredded cheese
1/8 c onion

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:58:20 AM by Southern Belle »

moose61

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New to FTS with concerns about Calories
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
hi Southern Belle

When you eat low carb, you don't want to eat low fat too. I eat whole eggs and regular cheese. That is where your calories will come from instead of carbs, from protein and fats. As long as you have enough protein and fat in your diet, your body won't consume its' muscle. Most low fat foods,(like low fat cheese, skim milk, etc.) have more carbs than the natural full fat versions. If you are only cutting yourself back to 50 carbs a day, you probably won't go through detox, and won't get your body into fat burning ketosis mode.

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
When you eat low carb, you don't want to eat low fat too. I eat whole eggs and regular cheese. That is where your calories will come from instead of carbs, from protein and fats. As long as you have enough protein and fat in your diet, your body won't consume its' muscle. Most low fat foods,(like low fat cheese, skim milk, etc.) have more carbs than the natural full fat versions. If you are only cutting yourself back to 50 carbs a day, you probably won't go through detox, and won't get your body into fat burning ketosis mode.

This is very true  :)  Hi Southern Belle Welcome to the forum.  ;)  You are really going to make yourself crazy trying to follow all of these rules.  The science is really very simple as Doug points out in his book.  If you don't go through detox you wont be able to avoid the cravings either.  Is the nutritionist doctor ordered?  I'm sure Doug will be along soon to advise you but my advise is to pick a program and stick with that.  You can't just do it half way and expect to have the best results.  When I was diagnosed with diabetes years ago my diabetes educator had me eating 1600 calories a day with 40-60 carbs per meal.  It didn't take me long to become a Rollie pollie with uncontrolled blood sugar having to take two different pills and insulin every day.  FTS has literally saved my life and no doubt extended it by years.  I no longer have to take any meds and feel better than I have in a long long time.  One of the best parts a FTS is it's simplicity.  As long as I'm within my allotted net carbs my blood sugar stays in the normal range.  If your nutritionist does bring you in, I would take Doug's book with you.  My doctor is now a believer  ;)  Again welcome  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Southern Belle!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

First, I 'd like to compliment you on your decision to look at carb intake reduction as a means to lose weight.
However, I STRONGLY suggest that you reread Doug's book to get a better understanding of the FTS lifestyle and what it can do for you.

I am a FORMER type II diabetic with high blood pressure, cholesterol issues, and triglyceride numbers that were VERY bad.
I was taking FIVE different medications for these issues.

Following the FTS rules as set out in Doug's book, a few months later, my doc eliminated four of them.
I'm now down to only one! :)
And that one's for BPH (enlarged prostate) which is normal for a 60 year old male.

My energy levels are about what they were when I was in my 30s.
And my overall health and well being is excellent!... I've been given a second chance at a healthy life. ;D ;D ;D

My doctor was not a "low carb" believer until he saw what FTS did for me.
Now, he treats his obese and overweight patients suggesting radical carb reduction (20 or less a day) like FTS.

If you listen to feedback from those that don't believe "very low carb intake" is the key to weight loss and better health, you're only setting yourself up for confusion and possible failure.
FTS and those "other" philosophies can't peacefully coexist in one's mind.

So if you're ready to follow the FTS rules and commit to REAL health improvement and weight loss, FTS and the rest of your FTS family are right here are ready to help you.

It is my sincere hope that you make that commitment for yourself.
You won't regret it! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Southern Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
Moose61, TooSweet, and mouseissue,

Thank you all for your replies! I think I need to reread Doug's book as suggested! I may have missed something....::) I have read so many diet books and nutrition books that regurgitate the same information that I'm somewhat hesitant on this book that offers a different view, a different way to do things. But none the less, I am willing to give it a try because of all the positive feedback and success stories.

In my mind I need the numbers but what I should be asking do I feel better since I'm eating better, and the answer is yes I do! I have read your success stories and I'm like many of you with high cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure. I also have insulin resistance... I am committed to making change as I have followed my nutritionists advice in writing down everything I eat and staying within the allotted numbers since seeing her in June. I don't have a choice but to make changes, my life too depends on it.

I think the bootom line is....I'm more afraid of failing than anything else as I have failed so many times before... :'( :'( :'(

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement and great advice. It means more to me than you will ever know... :):):):):)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »
... I think the bottom line is....I'm more afraid of failing than anything else as I have failed so many times before... :'( :'( :'(

Hi Southern Belle! :)

I, and most all of us here, really do understand how you feel.

Over my lifetime, I've failed at weight loss more times that I care to count.
I've tried virtually everything short of surgery.
And always wind up gaining back any weight lost, and MORE! :o

The two things I have now that I did not have before are FTS and the wonderful, supportive, group of people on this forum.
You too now have these wonderful blessings.

The science behind FTS is ROCK solid and the love and support here is unconditional and unwavering.

So fear not, and be happy!... We're all here for you! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Southern Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »
Thanks Tony! :):):)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:15 PM »
I think the bootom line is....I'm more afraid of failing than anything else as I have failed so many times before...

Tony is so right!  I'm sure this forum is full of folks that can say that exact same thing you have :D   Really though....what have you got to lose....just give a go for 30, 60, or even 90 days and see what happens.  Talk to your doc about it as well.   To be fair you should go all in 100% though other wise you are just setting yourself up to feel like you have failed once again.  Your body will burn the food that you are putting in your mouth for fuel first, so you need to keep your carb count down low enough so that it will burn your stored fat.   You might like the web site fatsecret by the way....it really helps to keep up with things http://www.fatsecret.com/    There are others out there as well  ;)   As Tony said....we are here for you  :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Hello Southern bell, welcome to our family!

Step #1- Fire your nutritionist he/she is still in the stone ages working from obsolete information which is the foundation of the entire obesity/health industry in this country. It's all part of a big machine designed to keep us unhealthy and broke.

Step #2- Forget EVERYTHING you've ever been told about eating right and weight loss.

Step #3- Re-read the book and embrace ALL of it's principles. Take a leap of faith, we know what we're talking about.

Step #4- Quit counting and start eating. Enjoy your food, eat when you're truly hungry and stop when your not. Learn your bodies feeding times and take the next step, get under 20 net carbs per day. Enjoy full fat cheese, butter, cream, sour cream, meats, poultry, fish, soy etc... STAY AWAY FROM ALL grains and products made from grains, fruits except strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and avocado. Only eat the veggies in the approved list in the book.

Step #5- Go pick out a pretty dress that you want to fit into and hang it on the wall! 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
Look at a different set of numbers.  Take all the measurements of your body you can think of.  Waist, hips, chest, thighs, upper arms, neck, etc.  You get the picture.

These numbers will start to drop, even when the weight loss on the scale stalls.  That should give you enough to think about since you won't be spending time on calories, fat, etc.

Welcome to the forum.  Don't over-think this.  Count net carbs, keep them under 20 per day, drink 64 or more ounces of water, get enough sleep and this will work for you