Author Topic: Keytones  (Read 8377 times)

beebs

• View Profile
Keytones
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:21:51 AM »
Your ketones should stay in the trace range while all this is happening. Should your ketones go up in the moderate range you might want to contact your doctor as that should not happen.

thisismytime

• View Profile
Keytones
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
Why is the moderate range bad?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Understanding Keytones
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
When keytones are discovered in the blood or the urine of a healthy person attempting to lose weight it can be a cause of celebration. For a type 1 diabetic it is a cause for concern.

For type 1 diabetics like Beebs watching Keytone levels are very important. As a type 1 (inactive pancreas)  If your body has an elevated level of keytones you run the risk of ketoacidosis. This overdose of keytones in a diabetic can lead to a coma or even death.

Individuals subscribing to an ultra-low carbohydrate diet may be well versed in knowing what their keytone levels are. The presence of keytones for the dieter may signify their body is accelerating the process of burning excess fat. In a normal, healthy individual the presence of keytones may not be a significant problem, but for a Type 1 diabetic the issue can be deadly.

What are Keytones? -Keytones are an acid created when the body burns its own fat. Keytones are common in Type 1 diabetics because the body cannot get enough glucose from the blood. The insulin cannot deliver energy to the body’s cells, so the body has a survival mechanism that begins burning fat. In most Type 1 diabetics there may not be a lot of fat to burn. Diabetics may want to know what their keytone level are as a means of managing their blood glucose levels more efficiently.

How to Determine Keytone Levels- You can easily test for keytones using a basic urine test strip available in most pharmacies. If the test strip color changes then there are keytones in your urine. Some doctors will argue that a blood test is the best way to measure keytones but in order to do a blood test, the patient must constantly go to the doctors office to have blood drawn. You may feel more comfortable visiting with your doctor, but a urine test strip may be a good indicator that an issue mmay be present.

Why is Burning Excess Fat a Problem? In most cases there is no problem in burning the body’s stored fat, but in individuals who are starving, have an eating disorder or have been diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic the implications are more complex than simply the burning of fat. It is possible that your body can begin to consume tissue other than fat. This can include muscle. This may weaken an individual, but since the heart is a muscle long-term damage can result from a low or underweight individual also having elevated keytone levels.

When Should a Diabetic Test for Keytones?-Any time your blood sugar is over 250mg for two tests in a row you should also test for keytones. You should also test anytime you are sick and whenever you are planning to exercise. If pregnant you should test for keytones each morning before breakfast and whenever your glucose level is over 250mg. If your keytone level is too high and left untreated it can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis.

What is Ketoacidosis?- Diabetic ketoacidosis is a life-threaten complication. It is the toxic buildup of keytones in the blood changing the chemical balance of the blood and leading to hospitalization in most cases. It can be brought on by illnesses such as the flu or a cold. It can also result from an insufficient supply of insulin. This is one of the leading causes of death in Type 1 diabetics and some of the symptoms are extreme fatigue, fruity smelling breath, constant thirst and a persistent need to urinate. Other signs include… • Extreme weight loss • Agitation • Irritation • Confusion • Loss of appetite • Flu like symptoms • Extreme weakness • Air hunger or hyperventilation

For a person who is not a type 1 keeping keytones in the moderate range during weight loss should not present a problem however if you experience any severe out of the ordinary symptoms you may want to consult your doctor for a blood test.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
Re: Keytones
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
As always Doug is well informed and accurate. I was just too lazy to type all that.

thisismytime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
I am a type 2 so I should be good.

larco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »
My am not type 1 nor type 2 for that matter. I'm told I'm insulin resistant. My keytones are at 2.5 and happened within 2 days. Is that ok?
how high is still healthy. This week I am trying for 6 carbs or less.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »
insulin resistant means you are on your way to type two .Just follow the plan 20 carbs or less and you will be fine. ;)

gonnagetthere

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
If you are not showing keytones does that mean you are not losing fat/ weight ? It has been 5 days since I started FTS

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
after 5 days you should be showing signs of keytones...if not you are still taking in too many carbs. have you dropped any weight?

gonnagetthere

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
I am showing the trace amount on the stick today was the first sign . I am not eating any carbs except a salad with red onion on it .  Is red/purple onion ok to eat ? Is trace enough . I wanted to weigh once a week ,but i got on yesterday morning and it is showing 5 lLBS ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
1/2 cup of onion is 5 net carbs.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
You are on your way !!!!! stay the course  :)

gonnagetthere

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »
This evening I checked keytones and it was # 4 on the chart . I guess I made it to fat burning & I feel GREAT !  I feel like I am sad for bread & chocolate ,but I have so much energy & not any hunger .

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Go get sugar free chocolate!

gonnagetthere

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Tyler & his dad just went to get me some of the russel strovers peanut clusters  ;D We think alike . Beebs do you stay under 20 carbs? I guess if I could get Ty to do it he would really go down on his insulin . He has tried alot of my recipes but doesnt really like them .I think he is just a stubborn teenager. LOL