Author Topic: Finally saw a doctor today  (Read 46657 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally saw a doctor today
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »
As a herbalist I always remind people that all medicines start from herbs.People think herbs are weak and that is so far from the truth.I dont take any medications at age 49, but I buy herbs by the pound ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
Our YMCA is outrageously overpriced. That's why I'm looking into the Senior Center instead.
Umpa, I'm so you are an herbalist & help us on here.
Morgan, it appears to me that some Cinnamon is okay, just not good in large doses.

I'm exhausted, had our Jobs Daughter semi-annual Installation Ceremony yesterday. So glad to be out of my evening gown, high heels & nylons!
Did some Christmas shopping early this morning for $5 gifts and wrapped them when I got home.
Now I'm bumming around today in loose leggings, over-sized long sleeve t-shirt and slipper Boots.
Filled out invitations for family Christmas Party. I text, email & send postal invites so they have no during this busy time they have reminders.
Arms & legs feel like lead. Now I'm so ready for a nap.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
Wow, fell asleep at 5 pm last night and slept until 5:45 am today.

Watching my sodium is doing good for me. I ate 2 slices reduced sodium turkey bacon (100 mg sodium per slice) & 20 unsalted peanuts from the shell this morning. Drank 1 cup coffee with 2 tbsp cream & 2 cups yerba mate spiced chai tea.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
You are doing great Susie ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »
Thank you

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »
Saw my doctor again today. She is happy about my weight-loss. My diagnosis as obese is no longer in my charts or online.
I still have Essential Hypertension so they recommend the DASH diet. Well, my goal is to come up with a low carb one. Could use input on this.

DASH diet
•   Eat 4 to 5 servings of fruit each day. A serving is 1 medium-sized piece of fruit, ½ cup chopped or canned fruit, 1/4 cup dried fruit, or 4 ounces (½ cup) of fruit juice. Choose fruit more often than fruit juice. (I’ll eat Berries)
•   Eat 4 to 5 servings of vegetables each day. A serving is 1 cup of lettuce or raw leafy vegetables, ½ cup of chopped or cooked vegetables, or 4 ounces (½ cup) of vegetable juice. Choose vegetables more often than vegetable juice. (I’ll eat greens, peppers & squash)
•   Get 2 to 3 servings of low-fat and fat-free dairy each day. A serving is 8 ounces of milk, 1 cup of yogurt, or 1 ½ ounces of cheese. (I’ll eat cheese)
•   Eat 6 to 8 servings of grains each day. A serving is 1 slice of bread, 1 ounce of dry cereal, or ½ cup of cooked rice, pasta, or cooked cereal. Try to choose whole-grain products as much as possible.  (I’m not sure what to eat for this category)
•   Limit lean meat, poultry, and fish to 2 servings each day. A serving is 3 ounces, about the size of a deck of cards. (I eat this much anyways)
•   Eat 4 to 5 servings of nuts, seeds, and legumes (cooked dried beans, lentils, and split peas) each week. A serving is 1/3 cup of nuts, 2 tablespoons of seeds, or ½ cup cooked dried beans or peas. (Nuts & seeds, yes, yes, yes… I can eat this!)
•   Limit fats and oils to 2 to 3 servings each day. A serving is 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons of salad dressing. (Limit to 3, I’ll probably go over this, oh well)
•   Limit sweets and added sugars to 5 servings or less a week. A serving is 1 tablespoon jelly or jam, ½ cup sorbet, or 1 cup of lemonade. (nope will not touch this category)
•   Eat less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) of sodium a day. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease, if you are African-American, or if you are older than age 50, try to limit the amount of sodium you eat to less than 1,500 mg a day. ( I will try my best to follow this)

Oh here is my BMI now!!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
Hi, Susie! :)

Your doctor's report had good news!... Hooray for that! ;D ;D ;D
As far as the hypertension, I would say your modifications to the Dash diet look OK.

Just be careful how much fat you remove from your regimen.
While eating lowcarb, if you remove too much fat, your metabolism may go into gluconeogenesis in high gear!
That process metabolizes proteins into blood glucose and can result in weight gain.

Please keep us apprised of how your adjustments to this works for you.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »
That's good to know, I love my fat, i add butter to my fish & veggies & cook in lots of oil.

shawn116

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
Hi Susie I just wanted to add ....keep in mind that this diet reference was also based on the dietary guidelines of the pyramid.  We all know how that works with most folks.  Until the government gets on board with the idea that low fat higher carb diets are what is making us all fat...those suggestions won't change too much from most docs  :/  Unless of course they are catching on that sugar is the culprit of most of the damage.  Sounds to me like your suggestions for each group recommended is right on target   :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
Yeah You!!! You are just getting all kinds of good news!  ;D

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
Hi Susie - you seem organised.  The grains section sounds tricky but maybe an omm.  It's full of dietary fibre  as you know :D  Though wouldn't recommend 6-8 servings of it - that seems rather excessive in itself.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
LOL, 6-8 servings of grains. i'll skip that & count my almond meal in my OMM towards my nut intake.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 04:35:39 AM »
Broke a tooth, went to dentist. After the check up I had to have deep cleaning & laser disinfectant , 2 crowns. They said my toothbrush doing no good & to use an electric toothbrush instead. I also need to get a water pic. Now have to pay $100 a month for 12 months to pay it off. That's half our monthly food budget. When income tax return comes in I'm stocking up on food.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
Oh no, susie that sux :'(
I rank dentists on par with used car salesmen. It always costs you more money than you expect. 

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
True, and when it rains it pours, got my cholesterol blood test results back:

Now I have no idea what to eat to lower my cholesterol. I'm afraid I won't b able to afford it. Unfortunately, medication is cheaper than natural resources.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:02:27 PM by o0OSusieO0o »