Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 13990 times)

shawn116

Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
Hi gkolay  don't give up on us yet!!   Your menu looks pretty good to me from the outside but you are leaving out some important information.  It would be very helpful if you also included the amount of each item and the carb count for them....rather than what you ate and what you counted for the whole meal.  I'm betting it is a portion and carb count that is a bit off.  For instance
Dinner: Chicken Cordon Blu (no breading), green beans, cottage cheese (5 carbs)
1/2 cup of green beans = 3 net carbs and if you are using Daisy brand cottage cheese 1/2 cup serving = 3 net carbs.  I'm wondering is the chicken cordon blu home made?  is there ham in the center?  Many hams have carbs in them.  Also what are you drinking throughout the day?  I see coffee in the morning but nothing else.  How about those deli meats....have you checked with the deli as to the carb count?  It is so easy to let the portions get away with you...we have all been there.   :-\  I'm not saying for sure it is your counts and portions that are off....just that that is what gets most of us.  Being diabetic doesn't help matters either....I so know where you are with that.  Give us a little more info and we will do our best to find what is tripping you up  ;)

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
Yes the chicken cordon bleu was homemade and there was ham and havarti cheese in the center.
When I say deli meats I'm not getting them from the deli per say, they are the packaged meats with the carb count on the package.
I'm following the serving sizes  on the cans of veggies and the cottage cheese, anything that is packaged. I'm drinking about 40 oz of liquids a day...water, green tea, and an occasional diet soda (not everyday, maybe 2 or 3 times a week). The only canned veggies I eat are green beans, the other veggies, broccoli, cauliflower are fresh, no carrots.
I was eating a green salad everday, maybe I used too much lettuce or too much dressing. Today I didn't have salad at all, so I'll see what happens when I get on the scale tomorrow.
I'm really not ready to give up yet, my earlier comment was just a fit of frustration. I know I can this. I have done the low carb thing before and lost weight easily and quickly, I should have stuck with it. Maybe I'm trying too hard now, because I know I have to. It's my health and I have to get this together.
Thanks for listening.

owensmath

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »
Believe it or not, my doctor told me recently to NOT eat a salad daily. He has become very supportive of low carb lifestyles and changed his advice completely. I, too, have type 2 diabetes. It is harder for us, but is so worth the investment. I no longer take diabetes meds.

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
Hey sweetie! I hear your frustration and I have been where you are and not too long ago!!! You can do this, I promise!! We will help figure out where the hang-up is on the weight loss and then it will be full steam ahead!!!

I do have to say that you have to drink at least 64 ounces of plain water every day!! Green tea, coffee, etc. doesn't count toward that 64 oz!! Also seems like you're eating a lot & often. Have you tried what Doug's book suggests, when you feel hungry, drink a large glass of water and wait 10 min. to see if you're really hungry or if your body's just used to eating at that time!?! Tony suggested to me to drink ice water as it does something positive, but right now I can't remember what!! lol   ::)  But it definitely helped with the hungry tummy syndrome!!  ;)

I hope this helps a little and I know that there are many more on the forum with much more experience than I have! We are a family and will be here to help you get going!!

(((hugs))) I'll be praying for you that you will not be discouraged!!  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »
... Have you tried what Doug's book suggests, when you feel hungry, drink a large glass of water and wait 10 min. to see if you're really hungry or if your body's just used to eating at that time!?! Tony suggested to me to drink ice water as it does something positive, but right now I can't remember what!! lol   ::)  But it definitely helped with the hungry tummy syndrome!!  ;) ...

Hi gkolay! :)

A large glass of very cold (ice) water will cause your metabolism to speed up to maintain your body temperature.
Kicking up the metabolism speeds up weight loss.
And like Momma said, it will usually shut off false hunger within a few minutes.

Hang in there!... We're all right here with you and know your frustrations.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
Gkolay what medications are you on??

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:51 AM »
The only prescribed medication I'm taking is Losartan Potassium for high blood pressure, but I take a multiple vitamin, Milk Thistle, Vitamin D, Krill oil, and Omeprazole (for heartburn). I stopped taking the prescribed Metformin for the diabetes a couple of weeks ago, because it upset my stomach so much, but I've kept my blood sugar level on an average of 120 without it thanks to the low carb eating. It's just weird that I haven't lost any weight.  :(

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
SUCCESS!!! I don't want to jinx myself, but I lost 5 lbs.!! I revamped my eating based on all your suggestions and it looks like I'm on my way!! Thank you everyone. :) ;D ;D ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »
Now you're cookin'!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Remember that we're always here to help and are very happy to do it! ;D
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
Way to go!  Hang in there!

shawn116

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
Awesome!!   ;D

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »
Congratulations!! 5 pounds gone is amazing!! ;D

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
YAY!!!! Success!!! I knew you could do it!!!
 ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
Great job!  It will get easier.  Congratulations on the first 5 pounds.

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
And...now back to gaining and/or not losing. I really don't know what's wrong or why this isn't working for me. I've kept my carbs down to around 15 per day and lost 5 pounds, but now I've gained a pound back and have stayed there for 3 days. I'm really starting to get depressed. >:(