Author Topic: adding fiber...hmmmm  (Read 5657 times)

F2S-Awesome

adding fiber...hmmmm
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »
Hi Umpa (or Doug),
Ok so as I watched Katary's nogurt video, a thought crossed my mind. He said its 3 carbs total. If a person were to simply add 3 grams a fiber to this recipe, would it then become a zero net carb recipe? If the answer is yes, then can the same be said for any homemade recipe? Can one simply add fiber to any recipe (or pre made food product) to lower the net carbs? Seems too good to be true, but if it is true, and as I write this I’m thinking it just can’t be true, what kind of fiber(s) could one use when wanting to reduce carbs in a food item or recipe. Thanks

downeast

• View Profile
Re: adding fiber...hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
You're right - If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Think of a zero carb fibre like ground flaxseed. It is only zero because the fibre carbs have already been subtracted. So 2 tbsp flax has 4 g carbs, then minus 4g fibre for net zero. If you add it to the nogurt you must calculate:
nogurt 3 g carbs plus flax 4 g carbs minus flax 4 g fibre equals net 3 g carbs.
It's the disappointing truth. ;)
However, it would be a great idea to add the fibre to any food that you can. Always a good idea to include the extra fibre.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:53:12 AM by downeast »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »
Downeast is correct.But I think you should eat all the Fiber you can. ;) Interesting fact though is the omegas in flaxseed aren't released until the heat hits them.Just sprinkling them on salads will give you fiber but no omegas.So my brownies are heart smart! :D

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »
ok great thanks, i wish there was a zero carb fiber (zero real carbs not zero net carbs) but there isn't, o well, can't fault me for trying

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
ok great thanks, i wish there was a zero carb fiber (zero real carbs not zero net carbs) but there isn't, o well, can't fault me for trying

Hi F2S-Awesome! :)

Fiber carbs are real carbs... But they are good-for-you carbs!!!

Since we tend to eat a lot of protein in the FTS lifestyle, fiber and water are VERY important for digestion and other things.
So like Umpa says, eat all you can!
Just be sure to drink lots of plain water, too! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
Besides flax, what are some other FTS approved ways to get extra fiber? I know fresh spinach has some, but not a lot.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
Besides flax, what are some other FTS approved ways to get extra fiber? I know fresh spinach has some, but not a lot.

Hi Rena! :)

There are not many veggies (or other foods) that are very high in fiber AND very low in net carbs.

This is why I take psyllium fiber supplements (5 Metamucil capsules twice a day) every day.
Also, drinking lots of water is a MUST in order for the fiber to do it's best work.
Doing this, I know that, regardless of the menu plan for the day, I'm getting all the fiber I need.

I buy the Metamucil 300 cap bottles at Costco where they're much cheaper than grocery or drug stores.

Rena

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
Thanks, Tony. We have some Sugar Free Fiber Choice tablets and I was taking 2 of those a day, but have stopped recently. The label says 7 total carbs, with 4g fiber and 4g soluble fiber. I was thinking they were 3 net carbs for 2 tablets, but now that I look at the label, the soluble part is confusing me.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Thanks, Tony. We have some Sugar Free Fiber Choice tablets and I was taking 2 of those a day, but have stopped recently. The label says 7 total carbs, with 4g fiber and 4g soluble fiber. I was thinking they were 3 net carbs for 2 tablets, but now that I look at the label, the soluble part is confusing me.

Hi Rena! :)

Soluble fiber forms a slippery gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not.
Insoluble fiber passes through the intestines largely intact.
Both kinds of fiber aid in digestion plus other good things.

You're right... 2 tablets of Sugar Free Fiber Choice tablets have 3 net (countable) carb grams and 4 grams that are fiber (not counted).

I would switch to another brand.
The Metamucil I take has 0 net carb grams.

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
Umpa - can you please post a link for information about flax needing heat in order to release the omega? I tried looking it up but all I find are articles about how heating flax will cause the formation of a harmful chemical.

Rena

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »
Thanks again, Tony. I haven't been taking them much lately. I can see how much fiber I'm getting on the program I'm using to track food. And besides, they make me crampy anyway. When I'm crampy, I'm cranky, so I'm better off sticking to flax, spinach, etc. I have, however, been looking for other foods that are high in fiber, but like you said, most are also high in carbs/sugar too.

owensmath

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
 Wow, avocados have a lot of fiber!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:15:02 AM by Doug Varrieur »

Rena

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 12:55:10 AM »
Thanks, owensmath. Wow, they sure do, and so do soybeans.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
Downeast susunweed.com use the search bar at her site.I learned that at one of her seminars.She does videos too they are on youtube.I trust her info 100% :)

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
Thanks Umpa. very interesting information.