Author Topic: Frustrated with myself.  (Read 7996 times)

zombiegirl74

• January 15th 2011
    • View Profile
    • Email
Frustrated with myself.
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:58:11 PM »
I have been drinking milk like crazy...until I read the label the other day... EEK! :o there is a LOT of sugar in milk!!! another thing is I am eating completely different than my kids...and that is for the BIRDS! I am also having zero portion control. Boy! >:( So I am getting an elliptical until the snow melts off enough to ride my bike to up my activity level.  8)

Does ANYONE have any thoughts or suggestions on how to convince a 10 year old kid he shouldn't eat all that other garbage?  ??? He eats healthier than most...but there is still quite a bit of carbs in his diet, breakfast cereal, lunch at school etc. He has severe ADHD, and I KNOW sugar affects his behavior AND he is a little chunky as well. :-\

My 16 year old daughter is all for it, she is at a healthy weight now, but recognizes she probably won't always have the same metabolism or activity she does now (what a good kid)  ;D

Thanks for hearing me out! Tomorrow is a new day, so I will start all over again ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frustrated with myself.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
hahahaha! Unless junior has a job he is gonna eat what you feed him!I have 3 kids that are all grown and moved on.(I say God bless the child that owns their own home!*smiles)No child wants to be the "fat kid".And I also think sons have a special relationship with their mothers and he is gonna want to help you get healthy.If for no other reason than that he doesnt want to have to do his own laundry and girls dont like boys that stink!*smiles*
I like almond milk.I get it at the grocery store(WINN Dixie) and use it for my cereal and cooking.I have never tried to drink it like a beverage but I will.The fact that you have a 16 year old daughter means you have someone to help you gang up on him!*smiles*I am cheering you on as you start again!!Go ZOMBIEGIRL!!!!!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »
Looks like you now have your milk answer, let's talk about your son. Do you remember when you first read the FAT TO SKINNY book, all those color pictures, large print, easy read? How about when the word "gross" came to mind when you looked at the sugar spoon pages. When I wrote FTS I wrote it so kids could read and understand most of the information. I even started the story with my own childhood beginning at 11 years old to give youngsters a point to relate from. My suggestion.....hand the book to your son and watch the magic.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

zombiegirl74

• January 15th 2011
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
Thank you both!
I will look for that almond milk, sounds interesting, I love almonds so sounds good already! lol

As for the boy, he is extremely smart, so I think having him read that book will be great...he LOVES cooking, so maybe I will incorporate his help in the kitchen..woohoo Go team mother/son:)
I am so glad I joined this forum:)

travelus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
Hi, It seem to me that this is a easy fix. There are somethings you can do to get him on board. Doug gave you the good choice in helping to educate him on his on health. Another thing you can do is give him some of the new food you and the rest of the family is eating, and do not tell him it is special food. Try to keep it fun and light for your son. Plus you can get him in the kitchen and he can help make some of the meals. With you.  It would be fun for both of you. You can bake sweet from the mix from Dixie website. So if you take the things that he like to eat then you have to replace them with new ones. Maybe try 2 new food a month. Just like you would do with a baby when you give them new food.  This way he well learn other food that work well with his new food. Want to show him you can still eat normal. Like pancake, ham. I would like to tell you how I raise my 2 kids. My daughter is 30 and in the army and she is not that over weight. Now my son is slim and always been slim. But when they were growing up I would never let them have soda unless they were sick with a fever. The other then I did was there only could drink milk or juice or water.No kool -aid no sodas. Then when there want a snack I would  give them  half of apple, or carrot stick, cheese slice. Plus I always bake my meat that I cook. Fried food was a treat once a month. I never reward my kids with food. I was a stay at home mom so most of what I did was easy to do. I did not allow my kids to go to the ice box and serve them self. There had set times to eat. There did eat sweet but not that much.  A lot of fresh fruit and vegetable. Fast food was a treat, there did not get to eat but 3 to 4 times per year. Some kid eat fast food every week of the year. The kid is not to blame there can not drive to fast food.  Just do baby step with your son. A lot of thing my son would not eat but I made him eat it anyway because it was good for him. And he would be setting at the table a long time until he was Finnish. But when I found some that he did like to eat I would give him more of that food.  I also make sure that they ate the right serving size for there age. Well that my story and I'm sticking to it. I do know each family do things different, but maybe you can used 1 or 2 point from what I said.     

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »
Really good advice travelus! ;D  My husband doug works with alot of children and its so cool because they grap it so quick and they get it! Children are like sponges, you just have to let them soak up the good information! Doug has a videos from kids that he has helped I will see if I can get him to post some.

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:03:46 AM »
What happened to zombie girl anyway?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »
Haven't heard from her.

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
She left us?

owensmath

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
Maybe her email is listed on her member page and we can send her an email.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »
I thought getting my 11 year old son on board was easier than getting my husband on board. I hope Zombiegirl was able to make it work.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/