Author Topic: Newbie questions, help!  (Read 7883 times)

ameyer99

• View Profile
Newbie questions, help!
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
Hi, everyone, I am a newbie to low carb living.  I spent literally hours last night researching and could not find satisfactory answers to my questions, so I hope you can help.  I have read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and Fat to Skinny.

I am on Atkins and this is my 4th week in induction (I did 2 extra weeks cuz I was losing slowly, only 8 lbs so far).  My percentages are 5% carbs, 65-70% fat, and 25-30% protein.  I don't mind losing slowly, I think it's better that way.

Anyway, I am exhausted.  The first week of induction I was tired as my body switched from burning carbs to fat, but then the second week I felt amazing and full of energy, so much so that it was hard to sleep.  But for the past week (week 4) I have been physically exhausted, going to bed way earlier than normal. 

These are my questions: 

1.  If my body is now using fat as fuel, why am I so exhausted?
2.  What actually happens to the few carbs I do consume?  Does my body take vitamins and minerals out and get rid of the rest?
3.  Why do some people say to increase my carbs by 5-10?  How will that help with my energy if my body does not use them for fuel?
4.  Or does my body use the few carbs I eat even when I am in ketosis?  Do the carbs get used up quickly and the body reverts right back to ketosis?

I am so confused, please help!!  Thank you so much for your time and thoughts on this .

Ashley

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Newbie questions, help!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
Hi Ashley, glad you could make it to the forum, this will be your second home for a while so dig in, meet some folks, ask lots of questions and share your experiences...now, to your questions;

Anyway, I am exhausted.  The first week of induction I was tired as my body switched from burning carbs to fat, but then the second week I felt amazing and full of energy, so much so that it was hard to sleep.  But for the past week (week 4) I have been physically exhausted, going to bed way earlier than normal.

These are my questions:

1.  If my body is now using fat as fuel, why am I so exhausted?
2.  What actually happens to the few carbs I do consume?  Does my body take vitamins and minerals out and get rid of the rest?
3.  Why do some people say to increase my carbs by 5-10?  How will that help with my energy if my body does not use them for fuel?
4.  Or does my body use the few carbs I eat even when I am in ketosis?  Do the carbs get used up quickly and the body reverts right back to ketosis?

First I want you to get away from percentages. The only number you need concern yourself with is to stay under 20 net carbs per day from all sources. Put the Atkins book up on the shelf and stick to the simplicity of the FAT TO SKINNY book, it won't divert you.

Question#1- You're exhausted because you're eating more fat than you need and less protein than you need....up the protein, reduce the fat. Make sure you're carbs are coming from "heavy" green veggies like cabbage, broccoli, spinach, kale, green beans etc...(check the veggie list in the book) You should also be drinking lots of water and taking a good multivitamin along with a b-12 every day.

Question#2- The carbs you consume are being burned as fuel along with the fat. The majority of those carbs are being used by your brain.

Question#3- "some people" say lots of things...stick to the rules.

Question#4- Stay under 20 net carbs per day and most all of us will stay in Ketosis.

Now with all this said Ashley remember unlike Atkins FTS is NOT a diet, it's a complete lifestyle change which you can stick with forever due to our great replacement recipes. Don't be in a big hurry, enjoy your ride from FAT TO SKINNY and enjoy your food  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »
Welcome to the family, Ashley!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

ameyer99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
Thank you for the answers and thank you for the welcome  :)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »
Welcome to the Fat to Skinny family Ashley  :D 

I might add also for you to make sure you take your measurements.  Most often with me when the scale isn't moving I'm still getting smaller.  It's like a repositioning kinda thing  HA!  Your body has to catch up with the changes.  As a matter of fact I barely ever get on the scale any more.  I just go by the way my cloths are fitting now   :)   Just this morning I jumped on which I haven't done in over a month and realized that I am down another 5 lbs.  I bet throughout this last month that has gone up and down from day to day.  The scale will drive you nuts if you let it  ;)

I'm not going to say that Atkins is bad because I don't know much about it.  I've never been on or even read the book.  What I do know is how easy it is to follow the FTS lifestyle, and that you shouldn't use both at the same time.  It will get way to confusing to keep up with.  You don't have to worry about percentages, calorie counting...etc plain and simple.   Unlike Atkins that you start adding food back in.....with FTS we have them or find replacements for those foods that are to high in carbs as long as you are staying under your 20.  It's so freeing to no longer feel guilty all the time just by doing something I have to do to stay alive....eat.   And we do like to eat around here  haha just look around in the recipes  ;D ;D   Again welcome....glad you are here  ;)

Ann B

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
Welcome,
I have done Atkins more than once and the....adding back carbs before you have all the weight your body wants to lose is WAYYYY toooo soooon. Always stopped my weight loss cold.  And Atkins doesn't share that your carb level may be extremely low.  It's a hit or miss thing which is very disheartening as well as confusing.

Enjoy the recipes at Fat to Skinny for delicious replacements for high carb stuff and never miss a thing. Once you have lost the weight, check your body to discover your carb tolerance and then continue life.  You may be able to increase from 20 carbs...but maybe not.  All the time you are following 20 carbs the Fat to Skinny way, your habits will have changed and in not so very long you care more about feeling good physically and looking better daily than eating famine/livestock foods that pack on the pounds.

Once my body loses all the excess fat it wants, I doubt I'll bother eating grains or processed sugars. I look at as though it's poison...and feel sorry for others who don't realize it yet.  For me, it is truly poison, to my spirit as well as body.

And Fat to Skinny is a life change, and one that my body is very happy with right now.  Not just because of the weight lost (21 pounds since April 6, 2012), but happy that I am not putting it through constant digestive upset, especially heartburn every time I ate grain products.

You know what, I don't miss the grain products, because it was usually a delivery system for butter, or meats anyway.  Why bother. Go straight to finding a better way to eating what you really want to eat.

At our July 4th BBQ, my dear daughter-in-law commented that she'd put her lovely hamburger in a bun. Eating the bun shortened her eating pleasure as her hunger stopped earlier than she was done enjoying the burger.  Why waste hunger on a food that is just glucose/insulin response to the body?

See you around,
Ann   Newbie since April 11 or so.

deblynbr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:08 AM »
Welcome Ashley, Great questions. I'm also a newbie! but have to say I already know this method is perfect for me. the replacement recipes are amazing and fun. I've noticed that though taste is a bit different from the first bite, but by the time you finish it. you realize it is actually better all the way around and usually alot easier to prepare. what I needed the most was to elimanate the cravings and anxiety and it worked within a few days. and the bakery book is a must have ( more than just baked items ) also the zero sweetner. this website, recipes, info, and peeps are just wonderful. so welcome Ashley have a seat and explore a fun and guilt free way to feed your family.
Deb

ameyer99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:13 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your replies!  I am new to posting on forums (been a lurker for years  ;D) and you taking the time to reply means a lot.  What a fantastic group of people!  One day I'll know enough to be able to help others :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39:47 AM »
You'll find we're a great big family here Ash, visit often and post away. The more support you give and take the stronger your resolve will be.  ;) Don't forget to "like" pages within the forum for your Facebook page and Twitter away!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
Welcome, Ashley.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
... Once my body loses all the excess fat it wants, I doubt I'll bother eating grains or processed sugars. I look at as though it's poison...and feel sorry for others who don't realize it yet.  For me, it is truly poison, to my spirit as well as body. ...

Hi Ann! :)

This statement encapsulates exactly what will happen after we reach our goals.

A large part of FTS is learning our individual tolerance to carbs and to certain foods.
With that knowledge, we can go forth in life knowing what we can and cannot eat and how much.
That knowledge give us the power, day by day, to make the right decisions for our bodies while enjoying what we eat.

It also explains why, after sugar detox, we feel so lousy soon after eating anything high carb/sugar.
Our bodies aren't stupid!... They know poison when it's present!
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
Hi Ashley,welcome to the forum! I am Umpa,Dougs wife. :) I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly. If I can help you just ask. :)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »
Hi Ashley

I HAVE, in fact, read several Atkins books. I certainly thank him for leading the LC revolution and standing up for it over 40 years ago. He was a man ahead of his time.

I also tried Atkins last Fall and GAINED WEIGHT! Not the deit's fault of course. I was taking online grad classes, had a VERY stressful semester at work (I currently teach college level classes as well as take them) and ate all kinds of weird stuff. I say weird because if you read Atkins induction, it does not allow foods like LC yogurt, nuts, or LC breads. Then you're supposed to add back in 5 carb increments until you hit some personal level for losing.

Like Ann said, what some people don't realize is their levels are probably rather low and should stay that way until they lose. All I know is that the whole thing kind of messed my head up and I just gave up after gaining about 20 pound (combination of factors including stress and inactivity, not just Atkins).

Enter Fat To Skinny.... I actually bought the book a few years ago and would revisit it from time to time and I thought Doug's eating ideas were really good, but I never really tried it. I did try it early this winter and people started telling me I looked thinner. Well, I freaked out and didn't wait for my body to make the switch to a fat burner and gave up too soon. But, I'm back now!

What FTS does that Atkins doesn't is it greatly simplifies the process. No food ladder, no increasing increments, no calorie counting....just keeping carbs at 20 net or below and you're good. 

Eating this way is SUPER POWERFUL for me. I can walk away from baked goods like they're dog doo-doo and I can literally go for HOURS without needing food. I don't starve myself either and I don't have to count calories like I have an eating disorder. I just eat things my body like (which are low carb), make sure I stay at or below 20 carbs, and I listen to my body and that's it. It's taken me a while to trust the simplicity of the system. After years of counting calories, points, portions, cards, percentages, pieces, sections, and anything else you can quantify, I now just have one number to worry about. I think the simplicity kind of scared me for a while there (I do like to analyze and think about things). 

This WOE gives me peace. Weird, I know, but having stable blood sugar helps me feel more peaceful, which is amazing.  ;D ;D ;D

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »
Waterlilly,
you have summed up exactly how i feel at times "trust the simplicity of the system. After years of counting calories, points, portions, cards, percentages, pieces, sections, and anything else you can quantify, I now just have one number to worry about. I think the simplicity kind of scared me!!!!!!!! it scares me very much but i am sticking with it and seeing results slowly but surely. ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
No hidden conspiracies here.  What you see is what you get.  20 carbs or lower, lots of water, good sleep habits and you can get healthy and skinny. 

I suppose the history of mixed messages from the diet industry has our culture believing that weight loss is a complex issue.  Maybe the fact that "low fat, whole grains" doesn't work makes it look like weight loss is hard to do. 

Welcome to the simple world of FTS.  It isn't too good to be true.