Author Topic: Food, food everywhere and not a bite to eat!  (Read 2625 times)

Mrs.T

• View Profile
Food, food everywhere and not a bite to eat!
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
So, I'm finding that my biggest struggle with eating happens while I'm at work. I'm a private nanny, and am responsible everything dealing with the kids, including meals. I'm OK with cooking for them and not eating what I cook, but then I realize that there is literally nothing in their house I can eat that is FTS approved.
I guess my only way around not eating their high carb food is to pack my own, that will be tough, however, because I start work very early, and don't get home till after dinner some nights, and by that point, the last thing I want to do is plan meals..?? Any suggestions on quick, packable meals I could take to work? 
I would really appreciate the help!
Thanks! 

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Food, food everywhere and not a bite to eat!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
Hard boiled eggs, nuts , cheese sticks, pepperoni

Mrs.T

• View Profile
Re: Food, food everywhere and not a bite to eat!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
Those are great ideas, thanks!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
-I like to keep hard boiled eggs on hand. 
-Cut up veggies.
-A big batch of chicken, tuna, ham, beef salad
-nuts, cheeses, beef sticks
-Left overs are always easy to use
-I've just discovered how wonderful salad in a jar is.... Romaine lettuce keeps wonderfully in the canning jars.  When I was watching my grand baby I would make up enough for the week.  Easy to just grab and go.  I would wash and dry as best I could (you don't want it to be wet in the jar) pack the jar with lettuce, maybe a few grape tomatoes.  Then I would have bagged up some cheese, some kind of protein (like chicken, ham, roast etc...) and a serving of salad dressing that I put in a throw away Dixie plastic condiment cup I buy at Walmart.  I lived on these the whole week...LOL  Sometimes I would just take the jar with a serving of the chicken or a tuna salad....(my beef salad too) It doesn't take long to make them up....I usually did in on Sunday evening.  :)

It sounds like you will need to do most of your planning during times that you have a day off.  It makes it tough when you are very busy and it's very easy to grab the wrong things....Planning is going to be the key to success

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »
Hi MrsT, I'm not sure of the house rules from your employers but would'nt it be cool if you could have your own mini fridge somewhere in the home so you could keep your own groceries  ::) You could also show your employers the FTS book and let them know your food requirements differ from the family. I hear what you are saying but I need to understand a bit more. Are you telling me that the family eats no protein? No meat, poultry, fish, eggs, etc...? No green leafy veggies at all?

In most cases as you know it's all about what comes off the plate VS what goes on the plate. If the family is eating protein with most meals then for you it's a matter of replacing you side dishes. Are you also the cook for the family? Maybe the family would enjoy some of our great low carb recipes??  8)

By the way, if you've never seen this movie you should...I love Nanny Mcfee! :)

NANNY MCPHEE -EMMA THOMPSON -TRAILER OFFICIAL (Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang /Film in Cinemas 2010)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:43 AM »
I agree with Doug that the family has to have some FTS friendly foods in the house. You may have to supplement with some of your own.  I also think that if you are the cook, you could start introducing lower carb foods to them... it is never to early to learn about the dangers of hidden sugar.  That being said, I can't speak for others, but I won't feed my children artificial sweeteners.  So dishes that call for Splenda (or Zero) or xylotol or stevia or products that contain them, such as sugar free maple syrup, etc. are out for my kids.  That is why I often end up cooking separately for them and myself.  It is a bit more difficult, and takes more planning, but it is a decision I have made.  Just my humble opinion.  Would love to hear what others think on this.

Mark

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »
Hi, Mrs.T! :)

To succeed at anything usually requires at least some minor adjustments to what we do.
But, being prepared is 90% of it.

If the family has a microwave, you could make use of it to warm up frozen meals.
Most of the recipes I make are doubled of tripled just so I can make extra servings to be frozen and eaten later.
Most of the recipes here are good for freezing.
Since the days your tend the children start so early, you might do this on your days off.

This is also handy at home when in your in a hurry, but want a satisfying dish.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Mrs.T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:26 PM »
You guys are absolutely right. I've started to pack my own meals, and they are more than willing to let me use space in their fridge. Now that I see all these responses, there are a lot of ways around my problem. Thanks!

And yes Doug, I love Nanny McPHee! THe kids father often calls me "Mary Poppins" because I make their life happier, and easier. Haha.