Author Topic: Sweeteners  (Read 2894 times)

Margot

• View Profile
    • Email
Sweeteners
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
I use Xylitol generally, but I do find that it doesnt dissolve like, say, powdered sugar;  so I tried Truvia in equal substitutiion and had to throw away 2 doz peanut butter cookies!!!  It was horribly bitter.  For liquids I use xylitol, and a Now plus which is xylitol and stevia(i think).  I find that just right for coffee or juice type drinks.  However, I dont know how to bake with the sweeteners... I cant use any artificial type like aspartame, sucralose or even splenda, if I have a choice.  Can you give me some pointers on this matter?  I am also Gluten Free.  Thanks,  Margot

shawn116

Re: Sweeteners
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:10 PM »
My suggestion might be a bit different depending on what the recipe you are using  ;)  I haven't had any trouble with using xylitol in baking cakes, cookies puddings....etc... but for things like fudge I like to melt it down before I add it in.   Also it helps to grind it in a clean coffee grinder to a powder sugar consistency if all you have is the granular.  It seems to work much better when making chocolates and such. 

Can you tell me which recipes you are having trouble with?  I'd be glad to try and help if I can.   :)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:03:57 AM »
So TooSweet -- when you dissolve the xylitol, what would you dissolve it in?  For instance if I have a recipe that calls for melted butter would you dissolve it in that?  Or would you still grind it up then dissolve it?  What does xylitol dissove best in?  Thanks.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:38:39 AM »
hot liquid  :)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
Umpa is right   ;)  Whatever liquid you are using that is hot.  Don't add liquid that isn't in the recipe though.  That would change the composition of your final product.  In the instance you give, I would just melt it in the butter on a low heat to not scorch the butter.  Be patient with it.  You can use the powdered xylitol or grind your own to help it melt easier  ;)  Sometimes those crystals are stubborn  Haha