Author Topic: 30 lbs. and still going  (Read 4600 times)

longkeylady

• View Profile
30 lbs. and still going
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
Hubby and I seem to be losing at a rate of 3-4 lbs. per month.  Since Aug. 15, he's dropped 35 lbs. and is now well below 200 lbs. for the first time in 8 years.  I'm flirting now with 200 -- at 205 -- and have lost 1/2 lb. shy of 30 lbs.  We're both shooting to land somewhere in the neighborhood of 150, which is a good weight for us both.  The FTS lifestyle been so successful for us that we sing the praises of Fat to Skinny everywhere we go.  Truthfully, this is the only diet my husband would stick with, because he's not fond o veggies and doesn't particularly enjoy fruit.  That said, he's now eating broccoli and caulimash and is positively crazy about wasabi coleslaw. Working together on the plan has made it very successful for us both.  Thanks Doug and Umpa for providing us the tools for success.  The recipes are great, and now that I'm retired, I'm enjoying experimenting with all of them.  About the only thing we really miss is pasta.  My husband is Italian, and it's been a staple for him nearly all of his life.  We did try the one recommended in the book, but found it to be way too much like slimy gummy worms.  Macaphony & Cheese recipe is great.  Also, we found Rao's red sauces at Fresh Market.  They are 3 net carbs and wonderful! 

shawn116

Re: 30 lbs. and still going
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
That is so awesome!!  Congratulations to both of you for your success  :D   

My all time favorite low carb pasta replacement would be the zucchini noodles http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=3447.0  or just plain shredded cabbage.  If I'm really feeling lazy, I just buy the packages of angle hair cabbage that you find with the packaged slaw mixes in the produce department.   ;)  The real thing just tastes like paste to me anymore  :-\

longkeylady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions TooSweet.  Will give the cabbage a try.  Sounds interesting.  Also Zucchini.  Will let you know what happens.

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
I wouldn't be able to give up my Italian  ::)   I've even been known to eat my sauce like a soup...LOL   Lots of meat in it of course  ;)  Do let us know how you like them  ;D

Do keep up the great work!!  You guys are doing fantastic! 

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
That's fabulous!  Congratulations!  My favorite pasts substitute is also cabbage or zucchini.  :)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »
Way to go! How awesome! It is always so much easier when ėveryone" is on the same page in the house.   ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:44:42 AM »
Cabbage is my favorite, too.  I use strips of it to make lasagna.

Congratulations on your successes. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Its so nice to hear from you and get your report :) I too was raised on pasta and as I put it behind me I discovered it wasn't the pasta I was in love with it was the sauce. We called it gravy in our house. Now my Italian fixes come from all those great recipes that don't revolve around pasta like chicken parm, rollatini, cacciatore, egg plant etc... I'm very satisfied with the various pasta replacements we've come up with and they are small portions on the plate. Keep up the great pace and visit here often to chit chat with your FTS family. Thanks so much or the support  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
Kudos to the two of you on your wonderful progress, longkeylady!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I too was raised on pasta.
But like Doug, I've discovered it was the sauces that I really liked.
Pasta without sauce is almost tasteless.

Our favorite replacement is cabbage leaves.
I par boil them for manicotti, lasagna, etc..
They can be cut into strips and used as noodles in beef stroganoff... YUM! ;D

BTW, our favorite replacement for potatoes is turnips and cauliflower (for mashed).
They are both have much better flavor than bland, starchy spuds! 8)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »
Zucchini I like, but my favourite are those 'miracle' style noodles made with gluccomannan (konjac root).  You just have to get past that initial fishy smell and color.  Rinse, rinse and rinse again (both in hot and cold water), throw in and let it absorb the sauce then the color changes and it takes on the flavors.  Better still the next day.