Author Topic: A substitute for the BRAT diet when we're sick?  (Read 1932 times)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A substitute for the BRAT diet when we're sick?
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:41 AM »
Doug,
I was quite ill this past weekend (I'll post the good, bad and funny in another topic) but what to eat when my digestive tract was so very unhappy was really a challenge and one I wasn't prepared to deal with.  The traditional (and obviously carb-laden) program is bananas, rice, apples and toast.   (BRAT), supposedly because they are gentle to digest.  I didn't even know what to ask for besides sugar-free jello.  My husband would have gladly gone to the grocery store so availability wasn't the problem.

And suggestions on what low carb options there are when we are down and out?  I'd like to be prepared in case it happens again.

joagain

Re: A substitute for the BRAT diet when we're sick?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:34:43 AM »
well I am sure Doug & umpa will answer but when I dont feel good I get some broth beef or chiken (can or carton) you can get low sodium if you want too .  I put 2 cups of broth it in the pot and 1 Tablespoon of butter . Bring to a boil the fat from the butter keeps  you from being hungry . I love it on a cold night too !!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:39 AM »
Jo is correct.Mild soups and broths ,eggs, and one minute muffins.Lotsa water. I like peanut butter too. ;) I hope you are feeling better!!! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
Hi Andrea! :)

Another alternative is low carb yogurt.

When I first started FTS, I had terrible digestive problems for days.
Then my wife brought home some low carb yogurt.
My system started to settle down within minutes!

Danon makes them.
The one I eat is a Kroger store brand called Carbmaster.
What you do today is what matters!