Author Topic: Trying it again.  (Read 3228 times)

damooster

• View Profile
    • Email
Trying it again.
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

I first tried FTS in 2010 and lost over 30 lbs. in a month. But soon after that weight loss, I got a job that requires me to travel in an automobile for most of the day. So it got really difficult to maintain the lifestyle. I eventually gained back all of the weight.

I still have the same job, but I decided to try FTS again. I'm entering my 2nd week and I feel great.

I've also discovered that when I eat natural foods, the weight comes off. If I eat non-natural foods or drinks, like Atkins bars and EAS 3 carb drinks, my weight stays the same. So I'm just sticking to stuff that I can make for myself. It's difficult to do that because I work full time and I am also a grad student, but I'm tired of being fat so it's worth it!

I haven't really been checking the scales because I don't want it to be a contest, but I think I've lost around 10 lbs. already. The real notice is in my clothes. I had to go to a tuxedo event the other night and I discovered that the tux was fitting better much better than it used to. So I'm happy about that.

Anyways, I look forward to resuming my journey with you fine folks.

Doug, thanks again for the amazing book. I've been recommending it to family and friends. Will let you know if any of them try it out for themselves.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trying it again.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »
Damooster welcome to the forum! I am Umpa ,Dougs wife .If I can help you please ask.The prepackaged items you are talking about contain sugar alcohols which can stall weight loss.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. Congrats on the Tux! ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
Glad to see you back :) The cool thing about your state of mind is the confidence you have knowing exactly what to do.  ;) On the road eating is something I must do as well when I travel so here's my tips;

#1- Don't pay attention to menus. Most restaurants will put together a plate for you at your request. Umpa and I were out for a Sunday drive this weekend in our rare 1978 Lincoln Versailles and stopped at an Italian place we had never been to before. I quickly looked at the menu and found nothing to order. I asked the waitress to have the chef put together an antipasto plate for us with rolled Italian cold cuts, cheeses, fresh veggies and olive oil. Ten minutes later it arrived and was wonderful.

#2- Don't be afraid of fast food joints. You know the drill, order a burger and a side salad, throw away the bun and enjoy! Hardees sells a burger wrapped in Iceburg lettuce which is delicious.

#3- Stop at one of the supermarkets you keep passing and visit the deli. You can walk into almost any market and within minutes have a good quality FTS friendly lunch or dinner for a very reasonable price. Just last week Umpa and I were out and about and it was feeding time. We were at a Super Walmart and for $4.95 we bought a lemon pepper rotisserie chicken from the deli. They provided us with plates, utensils, napkins...even salt and pepper. We enjoyed a good meal and a fun picnic.

#4- Beef Jerky is your friend! For me having some home made jerky on the road is a survival kit! Just a few pieces do the trick. I picked up 4 big London broil steaks on sale last week at Ingels for $3.98 a pound and made all of them into jerky. You'll find the vid here- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1397.0

A little pre planning ahead is all it takes really. Think out side the box and believe in our commitment to yourself  8)

Here's a picture of our antique Versailles, Umpa is behind the wheel  :D

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum damooster   :) 

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum, damooster.

If you are in the car a lot, avoid sugar alcohols (and Adkins bars have lots).  The potential for "intestinal distress" is pretty dangerous when you don't have immediate access to "facilities."

damooster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:05:33 AM »
Thanks for the tip about sugar alcohols. I forgot about the effect they have on the body.

Doug, thanks for the road tips. I'm glad you brought up deli chickens at the market. I love those things but I hesitate to buy them because they don't have nutritional content on them. Should I just buy the ones that don't have any sauce?

fineman

• I am truely blessed!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
All the best friend.
I also travel a lot. Both for work and for my passion which is wildlife photography....which takes me to the wildest India with no electricity and mobile connection. Earlier I used to have chips on the safari. Now Last time I kept Almonds and other nuts. And seeds.
So make sure always to have nuts and seeds to fight any craving you may have. And in your country you will find a store everywhere.
Also keep cans of diet soda. That is if you have a craving for something sweet these comein handy.
I am also new on this site and am learning everyday.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Welcome home, Damooster!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Planning is the key to reaching one's goals whether academic, professional, or personal.
Since you know what to do, like Doug says, it's time to think outside the box.

Some suggestions for snacks when you're in a rush;
beef jerky, pepperoni sticks, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

So prepare yourself for a successful journey to a new YOU! ;)

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Fineman where can I see your work? Sounds fascinating! :)

fineman

• I am truely blessed!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:46:40 AM »
Hi Umpa,

I will send you a mail. With some Photographs taken by me.

Will do it today for sure.

Take care.

fineman

• I am truely blessed!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:03 AM »
Hi! Umpa,

Your email id is hidden. if you can mail me on my mail I will send you some of my work.
Also will like to have you and DOug over and I can take you to the wildest India and we can try and track the tiger, elephants, leopards, bears etc in the wild..... maybe foothills of the himalayas.

Thats an open invitation. :)

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
Most of the prepackaged jerky has a pretty high carb count.  Slim Jims are my dirty little secret when on the road. I also hit up the deli for some sliced turkey or pastrami and just roll it up for a quick meal. I was really surprised at how accomidating resturaunts are as well. My local pizza joint started making my "pizza salad" a few months ago by my specifications.. and now have the teenagers who hang out with my daughter special ordering it all the time. :)

Good Luck!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
sherri@fattoskinny.com  I love photography! Its a passion. I would love to go to India!!!!(hint hint doug) Thank you so much for your kind invitation. :)