Author Topic: Update - Been Having a Hard Time  (Read 4862 times)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
Update - Been Having a Hard Time
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
Hi, Everyone!

Well, after my "big start" with the 30-lb. loss, ALL swelling gone down in my legs/ankles (they're BONY now!!), blood sugar coming down DRASTICALLY, etc…..  I just plateaued BIG time for over a MONTH.  I have felt SO awful (am also still having withdrawal symptoms from coming off prescription opiates that I'd taken for 10 years - never abused or anything, but just found out I was physically dependent on them and have had AWFUL restless legs, diarrhea, insomnia, etc. for 7 weeks straight now)… Plus, I guess I'm also detoxing from the sugar.  It's just been rough physically and I'm SO sleep-deprived - just sitting in my recliner awake for most of the night, most every night. I honestly don't know how I'm even functioning at this point, but I have NOT given in and will KEEP GOING…

Anyway - FINALLY this past Friday 2 more lbs. decided to drop off and I went under that 300-lb. mark into the 200's!!  I was SO excited!  I mean 298 doesn't sound that great for a 5'4" woman, but for me that was HUGE!  I haven't weighed since then - am almost scared to in case it was a fluke - but hopefully this will be the beginning of the END of that plateau.

On a positive note - my HbA1C (diabetic average for the past 3 months) was 9.7 in the hospital in the middle of September.  That's AWFUL!  Right out of the hospital I started eating low carb and my sugars pretty much came down immediately except for a few spikes here and there for no apparent reason.  I was retested just 2.5 weeks later and it had already dropped to 7.8!!!  That's a BIG difference for such a short time!  And I'm sure that by now ( 4 weeks later) it's even lower because my readings are all much lower than they were even at that time.  PLUS I've drastically reduced my insulin requirements!  I WAS having to take 120 units of fast-acting insulin before each meal - and was having readings over 200 most of the time!  NOW - I'm taking 15-30 units ONLY - and getting readings after meals of 80-120 - AMAZING!!!!

So…….. Even though I'm pretty discouraged about the drastic slow-down in weight loss - I AM seeing the amazing health results of eating this way and that is a huge incentive to keep at it.  Just wanted to explain why I've been "vacant" on these forums for a while - I was feeling down and kind of hiding out I guess.  But I'm back :)

- Jacki
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Update - Been Having a Hard Time
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
Hi, Jacki! :)

Detoxifying from drugs can be a very stressful experience to bodies!

During detox, there is a biochemical war going on inside us.
And during that "war", our bodies are trying to re-balance their chemistries.
Feeling ill and a stall-out of progress is not uncommon during that re-balancing.

Also, we are often losing inches even when our scales stop moving downward.
Did you take your measurements when you started FTS?
If you have not, do so now and do it regularly (like once a week).

In any case, you are getting much healthier than you were before! ;D ;D ;D
And that is the real goal... Because without health, it does not matter how good we look. :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:50:50 AM »
Hi Jacki, first of all congratulations on all fronts for you, you are saving your own life and I'm proud of how tough you're being. Detox from drugs and sugar are very tough on the body but trust me it will come to an end. I'd like you to start walking in the evenings, start slow then work your way up. I would also suggest adding melatonin to your pill pack at night- http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Melatonin-Release-Tablets/dp/B0050FUUKA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1383051003&sr=1-1&keywords=melatonin+10mg+timed+release 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
Jacki congrats on your successes! You can keep control of your life and your health.You can do this and we are going to help you.Just stick with the plan and you will succeed ;) If you need my help please ask.

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Hi Jacki, first of all congratulations on all fronts for you, you are saving your own life and I'm proud of how tough you're being. Detox from drugs and sugar are very tough on the body but trust me it will come to an end. I'd like you to start walking in the evenings, start slow then work your way up. I would also suggest adding melatonin to your pill pack at night- http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Melatonin-Release-Tablets/dp/B0050FUUKA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1383051003&sr=1-1&keywords=melatonin+10mg+timed+release 

Thanks a bunch, Doug!  I will try the melatonin for sure…  As for the walking - oh, how I WISH I could!!!!  I have bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees and am just hobbling around the house having to use a walker for support, so until the rest of the weight comes off and I qualify for knee replacement, I'll have to hold off on the walking :(

I'm hoping to get back into water aerobics at some point but I'm also allergic to the dang chlorine they use!!  Plus, right now I'm waiting for my cardiologist appt. in a few weeks before getting the "okay" for any exercise at all - they found some heart issues when I was in the hospital.  I just KNOW if I could exercise, I'd finish getting off this insulin…  AND I know if I could walk like you suggested it would be a huge help to the restless legs!!  Someday, someday...
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

anjelhands

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
Hi Jacki

Congrats on all the good things you are doing for you. Go girl!!!!

A great place to start with exercise is deep breathing and isometric exercises. These can be done anywhere, easy on the joints,  and no equipment needed.

Breathe in deeply,  all the way to your toenails  ;), blow the air out slowly emptying your lungs as much as possible. Only do a few times and then go back to your regular breathing. If you do too many and you are not use to it you can get light headed. Do several times a day. Gradually increase.

Isometrics are exercises that contract or work the muscles with little if any joint movement. Start with 3-5 repetitions,  holding for a count of 5-10. Do 2-3 times per day. A good place to start is with tummy tucks, butt cheek squeezes (glut sets), thigh squeezes (quad sets). You can do these with any muscle groups in most any position.

Also,  move your joints through their full available range of motion for 2-3 repititions 1-2 times per day.

And,  most important, think good and loving thoughts and thank your body for supporting you.

With love,

Anjelhands

(Retired physical therapist)

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips! So you just kinda squeeze the muscles you're working and then relax?

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »
Hi Jacki, I feel so proud of you!
I did Isometric by tightening each muscle as I did my deep breathing.
You're in our hearts for your success towards health.

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »
Woo HOO!!!!  I got brave (and curious!) and weighed again today just to make sure the other day wasn't a fluke... I was fully expecting to see it back over 300 - but it read 294.8!!!! So I'm thinking the plateau is officially over!! AND I'm thinking the detoxing is getting done with, too, because the restless legs has been much better and I had another decent night... Phew!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
YEAH!!!!! ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
Hooray, Jacki! :) :) :) :) :)

It's normal to occasionally plateau.
That is just how our bodies operate.
They need time to make adjustments as our fat content goes down.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
That is great news!!!  Congratulations Jacki!!   :D :D

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
Wow Jacki, you are well on your way.... such happiness for us to know your accomplishments!

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  BTW, my "ticker" in my signature is a custom one I made myself with a picture of a roller coaster called the "Hangman" that I never was able to ride because of my size.  I'd always have to sit on the bench and watch my family ride and I'd just cry and cry and then wipe the tears away as they came back towards me…  Well SOME day I will ride that Hangman! That's why I put it as my ticker graphic :)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:31:52 AM »
Hi Jacki -- congrats on your successful beginnning on  your health journey......we can do this....I started at 248 and am hovering in the 250's (have been up an down but am getting back on track)....

all of the above ideas and tips are great -- I'm going to incorporate those also -- and I just think it is so important that we don't give up....if we stay consistent to FTS eating and do what we can to improve our health and well-being as we CAN with our limitations such as your knee situation, etc.....and that is different for everyone, then we will get there....AND you will get on that roller-coaster....

Hang in there Jacki -- this is a great place to have support and get great advice....these people have been where we are, they can show us the way to better health and peace...

Hug Jacki -- a hug is something we just all need