Author Topic: Frosted Cauliflower  (Read 3925 times)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Frosted Cauliflower
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
While visiting friends in Wichita, KS I made caulimash and took to their invite for dinner.  We had it with our steaks and salad.  They had never had it that way and were very impressed.  I took a suggestion from TooSweet and added bacon bits and cheddar cheese to the top before reheating for the meal.  Absolutely delish!  In turn they gave me one of their cauliflower recipes as follows:

Frosted Cauliflower
1 medium head cauliflower
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp prepared mustard (I used French's yellow)
1 tsp dry mustard (optional)
1/4 cup sour cream added at last minute (optional)
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
paprika
bacon bits or bacon would be great on the top with the cheese

Remove woody base of cauliflower but leave whole.  Aerate base with knife to make more porous.  Place in 1 1/2 quart glass dish and cook covered for 6 minutes per pound.  Rest covered for 5 minutes.  In 2 cup container mix mayo, salt and mustard.  Heat mayo mix for 45 seconds to 1 minute (uncovered at 70% power).  Spread heated mixture on cauliflower head and sprinkle with grated cheese.  Heat at 70% power for 1 minute or until cheese melts.  Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

Sounded FTS friendly so I gladly accepted the recipe.

Now, since we are in the camper I have opted to fix this for cookout this afternoon.  The BUT here is I don't have room for a whole head of cauliflower so I have cut up the cauliflower and precooked it like I was making cauliflower potatoe salad.  When we get to the cookout I will complete the process by pouring the heated mixture over the chunked cauliflower.  Don't have any idea how this will work or taste but thought we would give it a shot.  More later LOL.

Suz

Okay, cook out is over and this was a great big hit!!  I did make a minor modification.  I was afraid that I didn't have enough of the heated mixture to cover the amount of cooked cauliflower I had so I added 1/4 cup sour cream.  TooSweet was there when we able to taste this dish and we discussed that this dish would also taste great if you added some bacon or bacon bits.  I also had to cook it longer since the cauliflower had been pre cooked and was chilled.  It actually took about 5 minutes on half power to get the dish totally hot and melt the cheese.  I will definitely fix this dish again and will need to thank my friend for her recipe.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:01:38 PM by suzlyn454 »
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

shawn116

Re: Frosted Cauliflower
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
Oh my goodness was this good!!!!  Suz has a winner here  ;)  Everyone raved over how good it was and wanted the recipe.  Even the young girls that were there were dipping seconds and thirds  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »
Keep the camper recipes coming! We are leaving here in a week! I am so glad you and TooSweet have this time with your family! ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »
Sounds delish, Suz! :) :) :)

You guys have a GREAT time! ;D
What you do today is what matters!