Author Topic: Oatmeal?  (Read 3167 times)

Jasonh

• View Profile
Oatmeal?
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
Is oatmeal Ok to eat for breakfast? 
I always thought it to be a healthy low calorie food. 

owensmath

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:56:49 PM by owensmath »

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Oatmeal?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
Jason, don't think calories....think blood sugar. Excess blood sugar is what makes us FAT. Oats metabolize in the blood stream directly from starch to blood sugar. That's why we feed oats to our cattle and other livestock......to FATTEN them up  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
Welcome to our forum, Jason!  :)

Based on your question, I get the impression that you have not read Doug's book, "FAT To Skinny, Fast and Easy!". If this is the case, you should read it.

Like Doug says, this program does not count calories but counts net carbohydrates (net carbs = total carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols).

It's the net carbs that metabolize directly into glucose (blood sugar) in our small intestines which our bodies either burned right away, and whatever is not burned, is stored as fat. This process is identical to what happens to livestock.
What you do today is what matters!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jasonh.  In place of oatmeal I order Sensato Low Carb Hot Cereal.  The Strawberrilicious and the Vanilla Almond each have 1 net carb per serving.  Made with hot kettle water, I just add a splash of SF almond milk or heavy cream and find it a great start to a cold day

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
I'm so glad I read this post because I use to eat oatmeal EVERY morning and I do miss it...the Sensato oatmeal you mentioned  sounds like my answer ! Would you please tell me,  Do you order it directly from the company  or some other source ?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
Bella, I am in Canada so I order it from the Low Carb Grocery, but it is available in the US through Netrition and Amazon.  http://www4.netrition.com/sensato_high_fiber_hot_cereal.html  I think my favourite is the Strawberrilicious.  It has just a light strawberry flavour.  The Vanilla Almond I add a little cinnamon to give it a little extra taste. Each of these has 1 net carb per serving.  I have not tasted the other 2, Butter Pecan and Apple Cinnamon, but they have 2 net carbs per serving.  It is not the texture of oatmeal but more like cream of wheat or Red River Cereal.  Dixie Diner also has hot cereal, but I didn't care for it.  It was more soy whereas this is more of a nutty flavour.  And Doug if you read this, I did finally throw the Dixie Diner hot cereal out.  It stuck in my mind that you said not to eat anything that you don't love.  So out it went and I do enjoy the hot Sensato cereal.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »
Hi Shihtzumom1!  :)

Thanks for tip about Sensato cereal.

I used to LOVE cream of wheat.
Now, thanks to you, it looks like I have a low-carb substitute!

I'm thrilled!!!  :) :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
The Sensato hot cereal I ordered was delivered ,  I tried the Vanilla Almond this morning and was pleasantly surprised . Nice flavor,  only 1 carb for a 1/2 c serving and actually it was so filling  I plan on making 1/4 c next time .  It was really nice to have a hot bowl of cereal, I've been missing my oatmeal every morning but this is really good !!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »
Bella, I sometimes add a few shakes of cinnamon just to give it a little extra flavour.

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
Thanks for that tip ShihTzuMom I always keep a shacker of cinnamom on hand,  I really love the fact that I can have a hot cereal so low in carbs and so good for me...Hey I'm a Mom too but If I made my screen name out of it it would look like this...LabChihuahuaPekineseTerrier   :o  A lady did bring me a poopzu that needed a home years ago but she's in doggie heaven now...she was a love