Author Topic: why is it going so slow...  (Read 8258 times)

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
why is it going so slow...
« on: February 03, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
I read other peoples weight loss, I am thrilled for them but wonder why I am so slow at losing weight. Its been over 3 weeks and I am sticking to below 20 carbs a day and I have only lost 7 lbs. Why? I know you are not suppose to have a time set , but I am going on a cruise June 11 and I want to loose my 40 lbs by then. I booked the cruise with enough time to loose the weight. I wont give up but a few helpful hints on how to speed it up or what I can do better would help.

joagain

Re: why is it going so slow...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:43:13 PM »
Only a few people lose big quick . If you lose 2 pounds a week that is 8 pounds a month that is 40 pounds in 5 more months and you will lose your 40 pounds stay off the scale and eat a little less then 20 carbs ,maybe you are letting things sneak in or maybe you will not be a fast loser .
 Lord knows I lose like a turtle as well as a few others on the forum . I have learned a lot of things on the forum ,put the most important is this is a LIFESTYLE change not a race .
 I have actually got so frustrated with losing slow that I have talked myself into eating things that I should not and gained pounds back . If you listen to nothing else listen to this
 STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE GO BY YOUR CLOTHES !!
THIS IS THE WAY YOU WILL EAT FOREVER BECAUSE IT IS GOOD FOR YOU AND weight loss IS THE BENEFIT !
DONT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS IT ONLY SETS YOU UP FOR FAILURE ,IF YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING THAT DOUG SAID TO DO IN THE BOOK YOU WILL LOSE ON YOUR OWN TIME !
Just regroup and go down to 15 carbs for a week ,only eat when you are hungry, & if you are eating the SF candies that you buy know that they cause BS to rise which could be the cause of slow weight loss . We count anything over 6 sugar Alcohols into the net carbs if you do this you would not eat them  ;) . Stay strong Sweetie dont backslide like me because of frustration !!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
Jo is so right, Sweeties! :)

I too am a very slow loser. So I sympathize with how you feel.

Keep in mind that every day that you eat low carb, you are getting healthier.
That means, you will likely live longer and not miss out on many wonderful things due to a premature exit.

You're doing fine! :)
What you do today is what matters!

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
thank you all. Today is a new day and I will take all your advice.... ;) ;)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
Jo, great advise and information!! You rock girlfriend.  Another turtle loser here. LOL
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
Alot of time people are going over their 20 carbs and don't realize it.You can post your meal plans including beverages and we can review them daily.Its usually splenda or condiments that mess people up ;)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »
Hi sweeties -- you said "only 7 pounds".....7 pounds is GREAT!  Sometimes people lose inches before they lose pounds.....

And that scale is a horrible taskmasker....i just bought two new uniform pants....one size smaller...and i am trying on one of them every day to see how they can fit.....and that helps me keep the scale in perspective....

Good luck to you ......just think how happy you'll be when you lose the next 7 pounds....it will come if we just stay on FTS.

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Jo, stated something about sugar alcohols over 6 get counted into net carbs.  Can someone explain?  I'm alittle lost here!!! :o  Thanks so much!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »
Jo, stated something about sugar alcohols over 6 get counted into net carbs.  Can someone explain?  I'm alittle lost here!!! :o  Thanks so much!

Hi sandrarbsn! :)

Jo has a son with type I diabetes.
They noticed that if he ate anything with more than 6 grams sugar alcohols, his blood sugar would spike.
Knowing this, they made adjustments in how they count carbs for him.

Remember that no two of us are alike.
Some of us can enjoy more sugar alcohols more often and not effect progress.
But most of us must be cautious of them as they will stall us out.

A big part of FTS is learning how your body responds to different things in different amounts.
So enjoy your FTS journey and learn about your body in the process! :)

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks for explaining!  I enjoyed a SF Russell Stover's Marshmallow Easter Egg - 1 net carb.  But was loaded with Sugar Alcohol.  I don't recall how much but my husband and I shared.  Hopefully, it won't hold me back another week or two or three.....:)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »
Thanks for explaining!  I enjoyed a SF Russell Stover's Marshmallow Easter Egg - 1 net carb.  But was loaded with Sugar Alcohol.  I don't recall how much but my husband and I shared.  Hopefully, it won't hold me back another week or two or three.....:)

Hi sandrarbsn! :)

This is how we learn what our bodies will do when we eat certain things.

If you don't see any progress in the next three weeks, avoid sweets.
They may be the culprit.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
No worries, all will be well ;)

Ann B

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
Water is a big one (mentioned elsewhere in the forum).  Make sure to drink enough all day long.  I keep a Rubbermaid 20 oz. bottle next to me when I'm at work to refill all shift.  And when at home, a 20 or 32 ounce next to me wherever I sit for any length of time.  And I drink a glass of water before bed.  Too little water is a stress....and the body holds onto all it's fat.  I like this one  http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-FG3163RDEDAYI-SippN-Sport-Bottle/dp/B000RNHODQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1334595229&sr=1-1-catcorr  Got mine at K-Mart.  I don't like to sip water, just let me drink it with a decent hole so it doesn't spill all over my face and clothes.

Sleep is another big issue for weight loss. I need 8 hours minimum to lose weight. Sometimes 9 or more, just depends on the physical or emotional stress of the day.  You must be able to fully recharge or it's too big a stress for your body to even think about letting go of excess fat.

I keep track of my weight daily (a bit of OCD here). If the scale hovers, I get a little miffed. But like yesterday, I was very pleasantly surprised that after a couple days of hovering (seemed like a week), the pants I'd tried on the day before were now looser. Ha!  And the tape measure showed a smaller figure. Ha, again!

And as others have said...keep the carbs low. Some are very sneaky. Remember, this is a temporary situation with the low, low carb. Once the weight is lost, THEN you figure out your carb level. And be grateful when you learn what that is, because then it will be no mystery how to keep the excess fat off for the rest of your life.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Good advice AnnB! Welcome to the forum! I am Umpa, Dougs wife .If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.I buy the same bottle cause I can put them in the dishwasher and they are indestructible ;) How much weight do you have to lose?

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
Netrition.com sent me a surprise 25 oz 'shaker' bottle that I use for water - it has a little basket inside that holds back ice so it doesn't hit you in the face when you take a drink. $5. It's got a whole bunch of other uses that I didn't know about until I just looked it up to post here! But when I started drinking several of these every day, my weight started moving again. (I'm down 4 lbs. in the last 2 weeks. Finally! Yay!)