Author Topic: jicama ?  (Read 3875 times)

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
jicama ?
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
I finally found jicama at publix and its not for me. I tried cutting it into fries and frying them but no matter what I was a potato expert and cannot convince myself it is good. Oh well, on to the next try. I also found a locarb store in largo and it also has on line shopping. I just ordered the dixie diner corn mix to mix with the pork rinds because I tried mixing it with almond flour, soy flour and it did not coat my eggplant. I guess it just works with corn mix. I also found rutubaga and a yuca but what do I do with it. Does any one have any good ideas?

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: jicama ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
Jicama is a staple at our house.  I peel it, boil it for 10 minutes and wrap in saran wrap and keep in the crisper.  When ready to have as side dish - grate it up, add butter, sour cream, salt/pepper, cheddar cheese, a little onion if you like and bake.  Also good sliced, sprinkle with cinnamon and xylitol, bake!  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »
Sweeties did the jicama you bought have any brown inside? :)

owensmath

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
I find the jicama to be a great replacement for sliced apples as a snack. They have that nice little crunch that a good apple has.  I also sprinkle it with a touch of lime juice and then some chilli powder. It gives it a little bite. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
Sweeties if they aren't fresh they are horrible!! If there is any brown or mold on outside throw it away! I like it shredded in coleslaw,fried like homefried breakfast potatoes,and potatoe salad.All recipes are on forum. ;)