Author Topic: Soya Sauce and Thousand Island dressing substitute  (Read 5796 times)

ES15

• View Profile
Soya Sauce and Thousand Island dressing substitute
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
Hello
I was looking for a conversion for what I used to think was a healthy salad.
Spinach
green onions
mushrooms
cashews
rice
Dressing
1/4 oil
1/2 soya sauce
I didn't realize how many carbs were in the soya sauce and cashews!!! (rice was obvious)

Also I really like this taco salad recipe but it uses thousand island dressing which seemed a bit high in carbs when I checked

iceburg lettuce
hamburger meat (browned)
green onion
shredded cheese
Cheese Dorito's (I just always left this part out)

Any suggestions?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Soya Sauce and Thousand Island dressing substitute
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
i would suggest making this  salad  dressing in single servings.olive oil and soy sauce are very flavorful .You can use soy just don't get carried away measure it.3/4 a cup of salad dressing is alot ;)
Hello
I was looking for a conversion for what I used to think was a healthy salad.
Spinach
green onions
mushrooms
cashews **can be replaced with peanuts
rice **dougs cauli rice
Dressing
1/4 oil
1/2 soya sauce**Is this soy sauce??
I didn't realize how many carbs were in the soya sauce and cashews!!! (rice was obvious)

Also I really like this taco salad recipe but it uses thousand island dressing which seemed a bit high in carbs when I checked
You can make your own thousand Island with sugarfree ketchup (Heinz makes one called low sugar in every grocery store),mayo,and alittle chopped pickle(pickle is optional.)On my taco salad I like Salsa ;)
iceburg lettuce
hamburger meat (browned)
green onion
shredded cheese
Cheese Dorito's (I just always left this part out) **I like the eatsmart Soy chips from Arnold they are 6 carbs for 22 chips.

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
I just wanted to share..... found this recipe for thousand island dressing a while back but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.....  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsalads/r/Sugar-Free-Thousand-Island-Dressing.htm  I thought it looked pretty good :)

Yield: 1 cup of dressing

Ingredients:
•¼ cup mayonnaise
•¼ cup sour cream
•¼ cup sugar-free ketchup
•3 tablespoons sugar-free relish, such as Mt. Olive Brand
•1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and adjust to taste. Depending on the exact ingredients, you might want to add a little more ketchup or even some sweetener.

Nutritional Information: One tablespoon has half a gram of carbohydrate and 35 calories.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
Thanks  toosweet  ;)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
Sure thing  ;)  I'll post it in the recipes later today....I wanted to try it first..LOL

ES15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
Mmm this sounds like it would taste just like the real thing! I'll have to try it. I haven't found sugar free ketchup or relish in my local grocery store but I live in a really small town (less than 10,000 ppl) so I might have to make a trip to Ottawa or order online.

Also Umpa I made one portion of the soya dressing tonight with my spinach salad and it worked well! My mom found me soya sauce that only had 1g card as opposed to 3g that I had. 

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »
Well when I first made it I wasn't sure that I liked it.  I have always liked Thousand Island dressing.  Now that it has sit in the fridge all afternoon I have to say it is much better.  To be fair I didn't have any sf relish so I just put two sf little midgets in the buzzy thing...LOL  I haven't eaten any besides just taste testing.  I think it is close to the real thing.  The real test will be tomorrow on my salad  ;D  I think it might be a keeper.  Let me know what you think if you give it a try.....  

Gonna post it in recipe exchange now  ;)