Author Topic: Cauliflower soup flour replacement  (Read 3929 times)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
Cauliflower soup flour replacement
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »

Print
Cream of Cauliflower Soup

Hey Umpa what type of flour and milk replacement would work best? Yummy fall soup time! ;)

Serving Size: 6
INGREDIENTS
1 head cauliflower, cut in bite size pieces and steamed until tender 4 Tbs butter 1/2 onion or small onion, diced 1/4 cup flour 3 cups chicken broth 2 cups milk, warmed 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
INSTRUCTIONS
Melt the butter in a large pot.
Cook the onion in the butter until tender.
Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes.
Whisk in the chicken broth until smooth.
Stir in the milk and Worcestershire sauce.
Add the steamed cauliflower and cheese.
Heat through without boiling.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
http://eatathomecooks.com/2010/01/cream-of-cauliflower-soup.html

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cauliflower soup flour replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
The rue in this soup is not necessary.Omit the flour.You can use cream instead of milk or 50 % cream -50 % almond milk.It will be creamier with just the heavy cream.I wold also increase the cheese to 1 1/2 - 2 cups.This makes a large pot.Sounds yummy! ;)

Ann B

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
I agree, flour isn't necessary in creamy soups. In non-creamy soups I've been adding gelatin (think Knox) to cold water and allowing to dissolve before adding veggies, meats, Vegemite for flavor, and other herbs for flavor. Heating through and then adding some butter if necessary to the final product.

My hair is thin and I am hoping that gelatin (protein), B vitamins, select minerals will help restore my hair fullness, rather than be manly thin on top.
It tends to run in my family (mom, her older sister), but I think it is more related to poor nutrition/hormone imbalance.  Mom died from MS and aunt had thyroid goiter removed as a young adult and always appeared very low energy dying of massive heart attack at breakfast table at age 70-71.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
As we age our hair needs MSM and , horsetail (silica)and biotin. You can take up to 5000 mg  aday of msm.It also lubes the joints.But it doesn't just make the hair on your head grow, you will be shaving your legs more often too! I am sorry for your losses :)

Ann B

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
Umpa,
Yes, you are right. Hair thinning is all over. I believe we have some MSM and will add that to my Biotin, silica, etc. for hair support.  That one I did not know about.  Maybe at one time, but when I was eating poorly, supplements were lacking as well.

I asked myself what other things would be supportive and gelatin came to mind. Other reading last night showed that gelatin in general is thyroid support....for the protein and especially when eaten with protein.  www.raypeat.com and www.raypeatsummary.com   A biochemist I have long appreciated for his research.

For one way to get it without great effort is to dissolve some in cold water. Add hot water to that, my coffee crystals, a little stevia and heavy cream. It's a little sticky when it cools around the mouth, but very satisfying. 

It will be interesting to see the result if I were to let it cool before enjoying.  Maybe similar to coffee jelly beans?

Thank you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
I love gelatin but i make it with strawberries or make it into a cheesecake ;) It is wicked good for you!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
I'll sound like a broken record but. . .

Have you had your thyroid levels checked?  Hair loss is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.  I know this from personal experience.  It's worth eliminating it as a culprit especially if there are thyroid issues on your family tree.

By the way, FTS was the only nutritional plan that allowed me to lose weight in spite of my onging battle with wacky thyroid levels.